GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Poinsetta Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/180509-poinsetta-question.html)

[email protected] 29-12-2008 09:12 PM

Poinsetta Question

I purchased a poinsetta last week, and the outside temperature was
below 20f, and after taking the plant home I noticed that the
leaves,and "flowers" were dying. I figured that they were "frozen."
Would the plant still be alive, and I can continue to water it, and it
will come back? In the past I have been able to keep a poinsetta going
for a couple of years.

Thanks

Tom

Janet Conroy 05-01-2009 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jangchub[_3_] (Post 826246)
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 13:12:46 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I purchased a poinsetta last week, and the outside temperature was
below 20f, and after taking the plant home I noticed that the
leaves,and "flowers" were dying. I figured that they were "frozen."
Would the plant still be alive, and I can continue to water it, and it
will come back? In the past I have been able to keep a poinsetta going
for a couple of years.

Thanks

Tom

If you have a very bright, warm room and remove the foil the pot is in
so it can drain, and do not over water it, you will see new growth.
However, it really does need to be in a very bright room, preferably
with morning sun till at least noon and the soil should almost dry
between watering, but don't let it wilt from lack of water.

If you ask me, it's a big waste of time. They over breed poinsettias
so much now their vigor is greatly reduced.
Victoria

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/
Updated daily when able.

I've found that poinsettias last longer if you use luke-warm water.