GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rose Plant Problem- Plenty of blooms - no leaves? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/180822-rose-plant-problem-plenty-blooms-no-leaves.html)

YMC 18-01-2009 02:51 AM

Rose Plant Problem- Plenty of blooms - no leaves?

Hi,

I've got an odd problem with several of my dark red roses - they have very
few leaves - but plenty of blooms. Sometimes there are no leaves on the
cane. It is a BlackBoy variant. Not much of a scent. Not a climber.
Multiple petal diamond shaped rose flowers.

What can I do to encourage it to have more leaves?

Could it be due to the fact that they were cuttings which I placed into the
ground after about 1 year in a pot?

Or perhaps its just a case of black spot? Although I can't seem to see any
black spot on the plants or fallen leaves.

They receive full sun, a well drained soil, they've been in the ground for
over 10 years now. The soil is well mulched. A Mr Lincoln grows nearby and
does fantastically well - no problem there.

bungadora 18-01-2009 05:05 PM

On Jan 17, 7:51*pm, "YMC" wrote:
Hi,

I've got an odd problem with several of my dark red roses - they have very
few leaves - but plenty of blooms. Sometimes there are no leaves on the
cane. It is a BlackBoy variant. Not much of a *scent. Not a climber.
Multiple petal diamond shaped rose flowers.

What can I do to encourage it to have more leaves?

Could it be due to the fact that they were cuttings which I placed into the
ground after about 1 year in a pot?

Or perhaps its just a case of black spot? Although I can't seem to see any
black spot on the plants or fallen leaves.

They receive full sun, a well drained soil, they've been in the ground for
over 10 years now. The soil is well mulched. A Mr Lincoln grows nearby and
does fantastically well - no problem there.

Are you sure it isn't a characteristic of that particular variant? Dora