Old 21-01-2009, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Heucheras: easy-grow perennials in “gourmet” varieties

As regular readers know, Cheryl and I are strong advocates of native
plants because they are less inclined to come with the potential
problems sometimes associated with exotic imports.

However, native definitely doesn’t mean dull! In this, the third
column on perennials that will give your landscape a unique, colorful
sparkle, we’ll take a look at some of our favorite heucheras.

The original, wild heucheras have been found growing for centuries all
across the continent from New England to Western Canada and even as
far south as Mexico. Most wild heucheras aren’t particularly colorful,
but some recently-developed hybrids are spectacular while retaining
the sturdy attitude of their wild cousins.

Cheryl and I cannot get enough of the heucheras. With all the new
heucheras being developed we seem to be putting clusters of the new
introductions in threes all around the garden. If you want easy no-
fuss plants, these are the ones. Both novices and seasoned gardeners
get hooked on heucheras.

Here are some of our favorites, with appropriately appetizing names…

Heuchera Peach Flambe PPAF
As the name implies, Peach Flambe glows in spring with eye-popping
peach-colored leaves with red overtones. The leaves turn a beautiful
deep purple with cooler fall weather. Creamy white flowers on 16 inch
spikes emerge to give a great summer contrast. Like all heucheras,
Peach Flambe is easy to plant and easy to grow. It is great for the
low-maintenance landscape, borders, or patio additions.

Heuchera Lime Ricky PPAF
From peaches to limes… This one makes a nice color contrast with Black
Elephant ears, Black mondo grass, or any other dark foliage plant. The
scalloped leaves have a chartreuse glow in spring, turning lemon-lime
in summer and forming a sturdy evergreen mound. The taller sprays of
ivory flowers appear in late spring. It attracts butterflies and
hummingbirds to the garden.

Heuchera Plum Pudding
I love the evocative names horticulturists come up with! I think this
is one of the finest heucheras, The plum-colored, evergreen foliage is
outstanding and holds its color well even in full shade. This little
perennial is worth growing just for its foliage alone, although the
white flowers are striking on the dark plum stems. I should say that
Cheryl and I remove the stems and use them for cut flowers, as we
consider the flowers detract from the plant, so for us, Plum Pudding
does double duty. The plant is more compact than most heucheras and is
excellent for use around trees and shrubs.

Heuchera villosa Tiramisu PPAF
The foliage is mainly chartreuse with a brick red coloring originating
from the inside and radiating outward. During the summer, the leaves
lighten to chartreuse with a light silver overlay. Tiramisu grows 10
inches in height with a spread about 12 to 15 inches, making it useful
as a colorful ground cover displaying white blooms in summer. You will
want to plant with 3 plants per mass (triangle form) for best display.

Heuchera Sparkling Burgundy
From fruit to puddings to wine! This is a heuchera with beautiful
mounds of glowing foliage that deepens to a warm burgundy, hence the
name. Its giant six-inch leaves glow all spring and summer. Multi-
seasonal interest begins with bright rose burgundy spring foliage and
clean white flowers followed by leaf colors that become orange and
white veiled as the season progresses to a final summer color of
veiled burgundy and olive tones. The evergreen leaves darken in winter
to a rich wine-red.

Heucheras are easy perennials to grow and fit nicely in the front of
any border, rock garden, or container. They grow most vigorously and
have the strongest colors when grown in partial shade (preferably
afternoon shade). By the way, heucheras can be grown under Black
Walnut trees because they are resistant to the toxin Juglone which the
trees emit from their roots.

If you missed the two previous columns with ideas for easy, colorful
perennial gardens, you can find them at my Web site, www.landsteward.org

The Plant Man is here to help. Send your questions about trees, shrubs
and landscaping to and for resources and
additional information, or to subscribe to Steve’s free e-mailed
newsletter, visit
www.landsteward.org
Old 21-01-2009, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Heucheras: easy-grow perennials in³gourmet² varieties

On 1/21/09 12:53 PM, in article
,
" wrote:

As regular readers know, Cheryl and I are strong advocates of native
plants because they are less inclined to come with the potential
problems sometimes associated with exotic imports.

Hey - Earl, I'm honored; didn't know you knew me.

Giggle - I do share a love of heuchera