Old 31-01-2009, 07:51 PM posted to alt.building.construction,rec.gardens

Default Source for reverse-threaded (non-bulkhead) PVC fittings for greenhouse?

Does anyone know where I can get standard-size, but reverse threaded PVC
fittings (1/2", 3/4", and 1" size)? I'm adapting a PVC greenhouse design,
and would need to be able to rotate a series of PVC pipes that cross the
structure and have that motion tighten them on both ends at the same time-
so one end would be standard thread, the other end would have to be reverse
thread.

The alternative is to just glue them all, but then my temporary greenhouse
becomes a permanet greenhouse...

I checked online, but so far the only reverse-threaded PVC I've been able
to find is bulkhead fittings, which isn't really what I need.

Thank you for any suggestions or possible sources,
Keith
Old 31-01-2009, 08:07 PM posted to alt.building.construction,rec.gardens

In article ,
"ker_01" wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get standard-size, but reverse threaded PVC
fittings (1/2", 3/4", and 1" size)? I'm adapting a PVC greenhouse design,
and would need to be able to rotate a series of PVC pipes that cross the
structure and have that motion tighten them on both ends at the same time-
so one end would be standard thread, the other end would have to be reverse
thread.

The alternative is to just glue them all, but then my temporary greenhouse
becomes a permanet greenhouse...

I checked online, but so far the only reverse-threaded PVC I've been able
to find is bulkhead fittings, which isn't really what I need.

Thank you for any suggestions or possible sources,
Keith

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...&sa=X&oi=spell
&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=reverse+threaded+PVC+fi ttings&spell=1

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 31-01-2009, 08:16 PM posted to alt.building.construction,rec.gardens

Bill wrote in news:b2forewagner-
:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...&sa=X&oi=spell
&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=reverse+threaded+PVC+fi ttings&spell=1

Bill- thank you for your quick reply. Prior to posting here, I did
extensive google searching, including the terms you suggested, but did not
come up with any useful hits. That's why I was posting, in the hope that
others might have a more specific suggestions as to manufacturers or stores
where they had seen reverse threaded PVC fittings in the past (if any
actually exist, other than bulkhead fittings). I apologize, as I should
have included in my original post that I had done the courtesy of searching
prior to posting.

I've also cleaned up the search results of this and similar searches by
removing other related search terms- for example, "-osmosis" because of the
large number of sites that have the search terms "PVC" and "reverse
osmosis" in the results, but still no luck in the results. I also found a
number of PVC compression fittings but those also don't meet my needs.

I welcome any clarification, in case there was a specific google hit that
you saw and I missed.

Thank you,
Keith
Old 31-01-2009, 08:33 PM posted to alt.building.construction,rec.gardens

On Jan 31, 2:51�pm, "ker_01" wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get standard-size, but reverse threaded PVC
fittings (1/2", 3/4", and 1" size)? I'm adapting a PVC greenhouse design,
and would need to be able to rotate a series of PVC pipes that cross the
structure and have that motion tighten them on both ends at the same time-
so one end would be standard thread, the other end would have to be reverse
thread.

The alternative is to just glue them all, but then my temporary greenhouse
becomes a permanet greenhouse...

I checked online, but so far the only reverse-threaded PVC I've been able
to find is bulkhead fittings, which isn't really what I need.

Thank you for any suggestions or possible sources,
Keith

Sounds like what you want is left hand pipe thread... you can buy LH
NPT taps and dies and do your own threading. There are also systems
that use cast metal fittings to erect structures of pvc and other
piping... the fittings use allen set screws:

http://tinyurl.com/ca5usf

http://www.teksupply.com/farm/suppli...ry=quik+klamps

Old 31-01-2009, 08:36 PM posted to alt.building.construction,rec.gardens

ker_01 wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get standard-size, but reverse threaded PVC
fittings (1/2", 3/4", and 1" size)? I'm adapting a PVC greenhouse design,
and would need to be able to rotate a series of PVC pipes that cross the
structure and have that motion tighten them on both ends at the same time-
so one end would be standard thread, the other end would have to be reverse
thread.

The alternative is to just glue them all, but then my temporary greenhouse
becomes a permanet greenhouse...

What about going to flexible plastic and clamp fittings instead? No
glue, still temporary if that's desired.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:18 AM posted to alt.building.construction,rec.gardens

ker_01 wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get standard-size, but reverse threaded PVC
fittings (1/2", 3/4", and 1" size)? I'm adapting a PVC greenhouse design,
and would need to be able to rotate a series of PVC pipes that cross the
structure and have that motion tighten them on both ends at the same time-
so one end would be standard thread, the other end would have to be reverse
thread.

The alternative is to just glue them all, but then my temporary greenhouse
becomes a permanet greenhouse...

I checked online, but so far the only reverse-threaded PVC I've been able
to find is bulkhead fittings, which isn't really what I need.

Thank you for any suggestions or possible sources,
Keith

Well you could use unions, (expensive) or just pin the slip connections
with 1/4" bolts and wingnuts.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:19 PM posted to alt.building.construction,rec.gardens

In article ,
Steve Barker TB wrote:

ker_01 wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get standard-size, but reverse threaded PVC
fittings (1/2", 3/4", and 1" size)? I'm adapting a PVC greenhouse design,
and would need to be able to rotate a series of PVC pipes that cross the
structure and have that motion tighten them on both ends at the same time-
so one end would be standard thread, the other end would have to be reverse
thread.

The alternative is to just glue them all, but then my temporary greenhouse
becomes a permanet greenhouse...

I checked online, but so far the only reverse-threaded PVC I've been able
to find is bulkhead fittings, which isn't really what I need.

Thank you for any suggestions or possible sources,
Keith

Well you could use unions, (expensive) or just pin the slip connections
with 1/4" bolts and wingnuts.

You can always slip fit one joint with a long connector. No glue. If it
is in compression - it will not come apart. I do this for my spring hoop
house. It works pretty well.

Doug
Old 01-02-2009, 01:50 PM posted to alt.building.construction,rec.gardens

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 21:18:23 -0600, Steve Barker TB
wrote:

ker_01 wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get standard-size, but reverse threaded PVC
fittings (1/2", 3/4", and 1" size)? I'm adapting a PVC greenhouse design,
and would need to be able to rotate a series of PVC pipes that cross the
structure and have that motion tighten them on both ends at the same time-
so one end would be standard thread, the other end would have to be reverse
thread.

The alternative is to just glue them all, but then my temporary greenhouse
becomes a permanet greenhouse...

I checked online, but so far the only reverse-threaded PVC I've been able
to find is bulkhead fittings, which isn't really what I need.

Thank you for any suggestions or possible sources,
Keith

Well you could use unions, (expensive) or just pin the slip connections
with 1/4" bolts and wingnuts.

If you are going to pin the slip joints I'd use self tapping screws
instead of bolts. Pre-drill, or use self drilling screws.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:37 PM posted to alt.building.construction,rec.gardens

"ker_01" wrote in message

Does anyone know where I can get standard-size, but reverse threaded PVC
fittings (1/2", 3/4", and 1" size)? I'm adapting a PVC greenhouse design,
and would need to be able to rotate a series of PVC pipes that cross the
structure and have that motion tighten them on both ends at the same time-
so one end would be standard thread, the other end would have to be
reverse
thread.

Perhaps you can use turnbuckles and wire as used on boats. Thread it down
the inside of some pipe if you want ti covered..
http://shop.pinbax.com/items/R9030.jpg

Old 02-02-2009, 07:47 PM posted to alt.building.construction,rec.gardens

On Feb 2, 2:37*pm, "Cwatters"
wrote:
"ker_01" wrote in message

Does anyone know where I can get standard-size, but reverse threaded PVC
fittings (1/2", 3/4", and 1" size)? I'm adapting a PVC greenhouse design,
and would need to be able to rotate a series of PVC pipes that cross the
structure and have that motion tighten them on both ends at the same time-
so one end would be standard thread, the other end would have to be
reverse
thread.

Perhaps you can use turnbuckles and wire as used on boats. Thread it down
the inside of some pipe if you want ti covered..http://shop.pinbax.com/items/R9030.jpg

I use screws thorugh the fitting if I want to be able to take it apart
later and it does not have to carry water under pressure.

[IMG] code is On

Suggestions for buying Fourmost Bulkhead Fittings in UK for DIY CO2 Apro Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 14-01-2009 05:37 AM
1/2" socket to 1/8" threaded FPT? MiamiCuse Lawns 2 09-12-2008 02:21 PM
Water feature - source for tubing and fittings? Curmudgeon Gardening 5 08-04-2008 10:02 PM
BulkHead Fittings Kodiak Ponds 8 13-09-2003 07:42 AM
BulkHead Fittings Kodiak Ponds 0 12-09-2003 07:09 AM