Old 08-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Registered User

Location: Athens, Greece
Default Weird thing sprouted from my hosta

Hi there. I am hoping someone can tell me what the thing that has appeared on my hostas is. I have three different hostas in three separate pots (actually there may be four hostas, I think one pot had two in). I have had them for about 2 -3 years. They have done very well and produced splendid flowers each year, which rightly or wrongly I have never bothered with, I just let them grow, dry off and then I cut them off when the leaves have grown back.
This past winter the leaves died back as usual to reveal a strange lollipop-like thing on a stalk ... but it is not from a previous flower, it's only a couple of inches from the soil. The 'blob' on the end of the short stalk is the shape of a teardrop upside-down. There is one in each of two pots.
We are now into March and as yet there is no sign of any leaves sprouting
Old 08-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Registered User

Location: Athens, Greece

Oops hit enter instead of scroll, sorry!
No sign of new growth yet, though it has been rather cold and grey. But I am a luttle worried by that.
I will try to take a photo of the things but can anyone tell me what they are? I thought they might be from the flower but they are not (unless I missed a dwarf flower stalk).