GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Spikey Thorny Climber Sought ! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/181730-spikey-thorny-climber-sought.html)

respec24 12-03-2009 09:32 PM

Spikey Thorny Climber Sought !

I'm searching for a tough, hardy, evergreen climber to protect from burglars an exposed easily climbed front wall in the UK. Ideally with huge spikes, local garden centres only have 'firethorn' with prehaps 1 or 2cm spikes but I have seen in the past somewhere a plant with 3 or 4cm plus evil spikes !?
Please help !
Pete

Billy[_7_] 13-03-2009 05:16 AM

Spikey Thorny Climber Sought !

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 21:32:19 +0000, respec24
wrote:

I'm searching for a tough, hardy, evergreen climber to protect from
burglars an exposed easily climbed front wall in the UK. Ideally with
huge spikes, local garden centres only have 'firethorn' with prehaps 1
or 2cm spikes but I have seen in the past somewhere a plant with 3 or
4cm plus evil spikes !?
Please help !
Pete

Not evergreen, but effective!

Effective indeed but it lacks the warmth and charm of, say, a hedge of
hawthorn. Well, good show, carry on.

http://www.hilltrident.co.uk/CMSProd...?Product_Id=16

Charlie

--

Billy
merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 13-03-2009 11:53 AM

respec24 wrote:
I'm searching for a tough, hardy, evergreen climber to protect from
burglars an exposed easily climbed front wall in the UK. Ideally with
huge spikes, local garden centres only have 'firethorn' with prehaps 1
or 2cm spikes but I have seen in the past somewhere a plant with 3 or
4cm plus evil spikes !?
Please help !
Pete

Macfadyena unguis-cati, certainly vigorous and has spikes (called cat claw
creeper) but I am not sure if the climate is warm enough, it might grow in
the south of UK.

David

Bill[_13_] 13-03-2009 02:35 PM

wrote:

I'm searching for a tough, hardy, evergreen climber to protect from
burglars an exposed easily climbed front wall in the UK. Ideally with
huge spikes, local garden centres only have 'firethorn' with prehaps 1
or 2cm spikes but I have seen in the past somewhere a plant with 3 or
4cm plus evil spikes !?
Please help !
Pete

Not evergreen, but effective!

http://www.hilltrident.co.uk/CMSProd...?Product_Id=16

Charlie

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...es/robusta.htm

Not evergreen or a vine but effective and you can make rose hip jam plus
flowers.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Gopher 13-03-2009 06:21 PM

Spikey Thorny Climber Sought !

In message , respec24
writes

I'm searching for a tough, hardy, evergreen climber to protect from
burglars an exposed easily climbed front wall in the UK. Ideally with
huge spikes, local garden centres only have 'firethorn' with prehaps 1
or 2cm spikes but I have seen in the past somewhere a plant with 3 or
4cm plus evil spikes !?
Please help !
Pete

The Firethorn (Pyracantha) can certainly provide a pretty daunting
barrier within a relatively short period of time.

See : http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/plants/pyracantha/1003352/

You may also like to consider holly, Berberis Darwinii, Chaenomeles
quince which has several very prickly forms), hawthorn, blackthorn etc..
If it was my problem, I'd got for the Pyracantha or the Berberis - the
latter grows very dense and is extremely prickly. Certainly it would
deter me if I had burgling tendencies :-))

OOI you may care to review the gardenbanter archive.... see:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/archiv...p/t-21838.html

Good luck!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

John McGaw 13-03-2009 07:12 PM

respec24 wrote:
I'm searching for a tough, hardy, evergreen climber to protect from
burglars an exposed easily climbed front wall in the UK. Ideally with
huge spikes, local garden centres only have 'firethorn' with prehaps 1
or 2cm spikes but I have seen in the past somewhere a plant with 3 or
4cm plus evil spikes !?
Please help !
Pete

Wickedly thorny and tough and limbs anything. Big downside is that, if you
once let it get out of control, you may not be able to keep in in check.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smilax_rotundifolia

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

KC[_2_] 14-03-2009 12:56 AM

Spikey Thorny Climber Sought !

On Mar 12, 4:32*pm, respec24
wrote:
I'm searching for a tough, hardy, evergreen climber to protect from
burglars an exposed easily climbed front wall in the UK. Ideally with
huge spikes, local garden centres only have 'firethorn' with prehaps 1
or 2cm spikes but I have seen in the past somewhere a plant with 3 or
4cm plus evil spikes !?
Please help !
Pete

--
respec24

An antique climbing rose named "mermaid". The cane will get as thick
as a broomhandle and has the most evil thorns I've ever seen on a
rose. Plus it has decently looking white blooms much of the summer.

KC

respec24 14-03-2009 09:56 PM

Great if extreme suggestions people !
I think the 'Pyracantha sparkler' looks great but I don't much like the orange or red berries, does anyone kow if it is available with any other colour like the yellow ?
I love the honey locust ! Might take a few burglars out on those spikes !
Obviously I'd prefer an automatic rifle like some of you lucky yanks !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie[_2_] (Post 833558)
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 22:16:55 -0700, Billy
wrote:

wrote:

I'm searching for a tough, hardy, evergreen climber to protect from
burglars an exposed easily climbed front wall in the UK. Ideally with
huge spikes, local garden centres only have 'firethorn' with prehaps 1
or 2cm spikes but I have seen in the past somewhere a plant with 3 or
4cm plus evil spikes !?
Please help !
Pete

Not evergreen, but effective!

Effective indeed but it lacks the warmth and charm of, say, a hedge of
hawthorn. Well, good show, carry on.

I shall, thank you.

To hell with charm, if burglars or danger is involved. Though it's
not an entirely unattractive tree, why not plant a hedge of Honey
Locust...thick edible pod juice stuff, sweet as syrup, and serious
thorny deterrent properties.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~indiancr...les/Thorns.jpg

http://www.mitzenmacher.net/blog/wp-...6/01/thorn.jpg

Anyone who has ever run afoul of this tree knows what I'm talkin'
about. Don't know if available in the UK, most people wouldn't care,
as it rapidly overgrows areas.

--
Charlie

“Truths and roses have thorns about them.”
Henry David Thoreau