GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Overseeding with Bermuda? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/181767-overseeding-bermuda.html)

skubler 14-03-2009 09:55 PM

Overseeding with Bermuda?

Can I successfully overseed a centipede lawn with Bermuda? We have centipede and I would like to get rid of it and have bermuda grass. OR, what would kill off the centipede and not harm the bermuda?

Zootal[_3_] 15-03-2009 11:09 PM

Overseeding with Bermuda?

Centipede is a bit tougher then bermuda - I'd put my money on the centipede
grass. If you want to get rid of it, sterilize the soil. And even then, I
won't guarantee that will get rid of it.

--
skubler

Dioclese 16-03-2009 04:04 AM

Overseeding with Bermuda?

"skubler" wrote in message

Can I successfully overseed a centipede lawn with Bermuda? We have
centipede and I would like to get rid of it and have bermuda grass.
OR, what would kill off the centipede and not harm the bermuda?

--
skubler

Where do you live?
Are you in a drought area?
Why are you displeased with Centipede?
Why are you selecting Bermuda?
--
Dave
Confront and fight Obama zombieism

skubler 16-03-2009 08:40 PM

I live in Myrtle Beach. The centipede is just not grass to us, more like a weed. My husband selected the Bermuda, it is what we had up north and we liked it.

Zootal[_3_] 16-03-2009 10:56 PM

Overseeding with Bermuda?

Oregon or S. Carolina? I'm guessing SC because bermuda won't grow in Oregon,
at least not along the coast. Bermuda has been banned in some places because
of allergy issues. Check with local regulations before you go out and plant
some.

Dioclese 17-03-2009 11:11 AM

Overseeding with Bermuda?

"skubler" wrote in message

I live in Myrtle Beach. The centipede is just not grass to us, more
like a weed. My husband selected the Bermuda, it is what we had up
north and we liked it.

--
skubler

Since you're in S. Carolina, I suspect Bermuda would be successful there.
Rain has been marginal there however. Centipede is a China import. It is
pretty much a weed in that it can grow just about any place barring
sustained low temperatures. Quick to go dormant due to lack of water.
Bermuda.has similar characteristics except it wasn't imported from the other
side of the world. So, I don't see a basis for switching to another grass.