Old 23-02-2003, 01:27 AM
Karen Corbin

Default wysteria won't bloom

I am hoping someone can give advice on my wysteria which refuses to bloom.
I started it from a 1 1/2 foot and it has now grown atop a trellis and has
been doing this for 3 years. It has yet to show a hint of flowering. Am I
being too impatient or is there something i can do to aid in blooming?
Thanks for any help in advance

Old 23-02-2003, 02:15 AM
Pam

Karen Corbin wrote:

I am hoping someone can give advice on my wysteria which refuses to bloom.
I started it from a 1 1/2 foot and it has now grown atop a trellis and has
been doing this for 3 years. It has yet to show a hint of flowering. Am I
being too impatient or is there something i can do to aid in blooming?
Thanks for any help in advance

That was a pretty small start - you may be waiting awhile. And if it wasn't a
grafted start, you may be waiting a very LONG while. :-(

Here's a couple of things to consider:
1. Vines take about 3 years to establish before they really start to produce a
lot of growth and flowers.
2. Wisteria may take even longer to establish, specially from a small start. If
your start was a seedling and not a graft, it can take upto 15 years or more
before it will bloom.
3. Heavy blooming on wisteria is generated by heavy pruning and no fertilizing
- treat 'em bad and they will bloom!
4, In gardening, patience is more than a virtue - it is a necessity.

Old 23-02-2003, 01:39 PM
Fred Garvin

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 20:22:37 -0500, Karen Corbin wrote:

I am hoping someone can give advice on my wysteria which refuses to
bloom. I started it from a 1 1/2 foot and it has now grown atop a trellis
and has been doing this for 3 years. It has yet to show a hint of
flowering. Am I being too impatient or is there something i can do to
aid in blooming? Thanks for any help in advance

I have one that didn't bloom for the first 6 years. Here's what I was told
to do and it seems to have worked.

In late winter prune each branch back but leave 5-6 leaf nodes on each
branch. I also fertilized with super phosphate several times during the
growing season. I think pruning had more to do with it blooming though.
Hang in there, it'll bloom. The first year just a few but each year after
it has more and more blooms.

Last year mine was almost ready to bloom and we got frost, killed every
single bloom. I was quite PO'd to say the least. It would have been LOADED
with blooms.
Old 23-02-2003, 05:03 PM
Maryanne

If when you bought it it had blooms on then it will bloom every season for
you If not then you will wait a long while for it to bloom &it may never
bloom really well. Always look for blooms when selecting & only purchase in
spring when the blooms are on the plant

Maryanne

"Karen Corbin" wrote in message
I am hoping someone can give advice on my wysteria which refuses to bloom.
I started it from a 1 1/2 foot and it has now grown atop a trellis and has
been doing this for 3 years. It has yet to show a hint of flowering. Am

being too impatient or is there something i can do to aid in blooming?
Thanks for any help in advance

[IMG] code is On

Wysteria anubis2 United Kingdom 0 15-01-2004 10:14 PM
wysteria tree wyn North Carolina 0 08-07-2003 06:56 PM
wysteria vines and trees Lance R. North Carolina 4 01-05-2003 05:47 PM
wysteria vines and trees Lance R. North Carolina 4 11-04-2003 06:20 PM
wysteria roots - can I lop them at will? Katharine Mill United Kingdom 0 29-01-2003 01:36 PM