Old 17-03-2009, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Squirrel Deterent for Bulbs and Tubers

Greetings all....

Time to start planting bulbs and some suggestions are needed on
repelling squirrels. I've heard of Ropel (haven't used it).

Does a natural... mix it yourself remedy exist ?? Something
low cost but effective. (Drink instant coffee, so no usablecoffee
grounds.)

Just lost a whole winters collection of potted bulbs to those tree rats
I can always set up a trap to discourage the pests from
coming around, however I'd like to try something more
humane first as I have a new assortment of tubers going in shortly.

A note for general information... returned a whole bunch of encore
azaleas to Lowes and Home Depot. I purchased 8 last year,
sinking 6 in the ground and overwintering two. Purchased another
8 on sale this year. The ones in the ground didn't fare well over the winter nor did
the mulched ones.

Started asking questions..... the answer is.... encore azaleas do well
in zones 7 - 10 however they are not recommended for zone 6 where
they need to be treated as annuals or tender perennials. I'm at the
very northernmost part of zone 7.. about 40 miles from zone 6... so
either 6 or marginal 7 depending upon how the wind blows.

The tag did not have ANY hardiness zones listed whereas
many of the other shrubs had. I had to search the encore site and look
for the FINE PRINT to discover the recommended zones.

Kinda ****ed off about this as I started looking at encore azaleas
several years ago, observed growing habits and selected the types
of plants most suitable for the growing location in terms of size, growth
rate, sunshine, color and moisture. Looked like a really nice plant.

A lot of research done, and a lot of garden center browsing done,
for a plant which is marginally acclimated for this climate. Wish I
had all the knowledge up front... it would have saved me a lot
of time better spent elsewhere.

You would think the big box garden centers would actually
THINK about what they sell. Instead, I'm finding tropical
plants in the middle of January and Wal Mart is selling
Day Lillies and Peonies, already sprouting in the
middle of February when they can't be planted till
May. Isn't anyone using their brains ???

Aargh, my gardening education continues...

end of rant...

Thanks !!!

Peter

Old 18-03-2009, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
[...]

Forget garden centers, think stupidmarkets. If you feed the squirrels they
won't eat your bulbs... I have like a dozen squirrels in the trees 40 feet
from my window, each morning I toss out a couple handfulls of in-shell
peanuts or some crackers or stale bread, any suitible crumbs/crusts. I have
bulbs planted under and around those trees but since I've been feeding they
don't touch my bulbs, and I only feed them during the coldest periods....
during the warmer weather they seem to find enough natural foods... they're
living in a 60' tall windbreak of Norway spruce, plenty cone seeds is what
initially attracts them. And this feeding all started to entertain my cats,
so there's a double benefit. Peanuts are cheap... $5 worth lasts me all
winter... stale bread and a piano sized crate of lousy wheat thins from
Same's Club would get tossed anyway.

Old 18-03-2009, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 17, 5:34*pm, wrote:
[...]

I suggest you try laying a layer of chicken wire over the top surface
of the soil, covered by a thin layer of soil or mulch.
Blood meal sprinkled on the soil is also helpful, but has to be
replaced every time it rains.
Dora
Old 18-03-2009, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
[...]

..22 rim fire ammunition

Old 18-03-2009, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 00:12:58 GMT, "brooklyn1" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Good suggestion... it might work under many circumstances, but not
in this one. The critters are a little too destructive.

For me, traps usually work well... .

Just interested in a deterent, otherwise back to trapping which
works well. It's time consuming. but keeps the population down.
Got about 30 of those buggers about two years ago.. only saw one
this season, but already he got into an entire stock of roots

Foxes are a great idea... wish I could get a few of them
hanging around... unfortunately there is a large unleashed dog
population chasing everything away.

Now, occasionally, some 'misguided' animal activist always
chimes in with 'heartless' and 'cruel'. The following is appended
just for that audience.

1- Used to have a bird habitat... nesting boxes, feed stations, refuge places
The squirrels continuously destroyed everything. The entire project was
scrubbed after 3 years of watching the squirrels destroy everything. Yes
they had their own feeders. Does anyone really believe that a squirrel
will just go after one feeder...

2- The population rapidly grew from just a few, till when I trapped over
30 squirrels in one season.

3- Incredible damage to the house.... ripped screens, holes chewed
in fascia, damage to attic space, holes chewed in wooden garage doors.
Weatherstripping chewed on cars as they tried to get into a bag of
sunflower seeds. A lousy tree rat is not worth thousands
of dollars worth of home repair. This is a totally unnecessary
expense. I can't afford it.... anyone wanna donate ???

4- Incredible damage to all roots, tubers and bulbs. They were digging
them out as quick as I could plant them. Landscaping is for the purpose
of providing cover for other species also...including birds, bees and valuable
insects. The tree rats don't exist in balance with nature... I suspect that
squirrels are an indication that nature is no longer in balance.

5- Despite Walt Disney, they're tree rats.... fine... keep out of the house
and out of the yard.... I wouldn't let mice and rats in the yard...squirrels
are next on the list... they have plenty of other places to live. I'm surrounded
by tens of acres of 'community space'. Guess whose house and yard they
travel to.

6- Not just squirrels, but deer also... the deer population has already destroyed
tens of acres of natural habitat... browse lines and destroyed trees all over
the place. This lets scrub grass grow... which dries up in the winter and
is extremely flammable.

I'm landscaping a yard with everygreens, plants, shrubs etc because the natural area
looks like a wasteland..... nature looks totally out of balance here... no
bees, few butterflies, some birds but the natural habitat can't support the
population without feeders, nesting boxes, winter refuge. Lousy bat population,
for whatever reason the nesting habitats are being destroyed by nature, not by man.

Anyway... a squirrel feeder is a great idea under many circumstances, but
just not feasible here.

Thx !!

Peter
Old 18-03-2009, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 18:33:15 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Mar 17, 5:34*pm, wrote:
[...]

Thanks Dora.... it's helpful but may not work under the circumstances.

One project is planting on an HOA property. All volunteer work.... I've
gotta get in a bunch of tubers, and summer bulbs.

The tubers are 1" below top of root, some bulbs are 4" deep, others
are 6" deep. I'll be using bulb booster and potting soil to finish the
holes and retain moisture.

This will be done over several fairly large 20' x 40' areas. Too large
for chicken wire.

Another project is a container garden..... I've got a lot of plants that
I'm looking to try out before sinking them into the ground.

And finally, a lot of areas on the property where I'd like to sink
a few bulb, but not a mass planting. i.e. some ferns under
a shrub, a few daff's in a field, couple of peonies in a space.

Bone meal might work in these circumstances... I'll try that !!

Thanks !!

Peter
Old 18-03-2009, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

On Mar 17, 5:34*pm, wrote:
[...]

Try not to plant in a straight line. A naturalist scattering of
plants helps to make it harder for the rats with tails to find your
plants.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 18-03-2009, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill" wrote
Try not to plant in a straight line. A naturalist scattering of
plants helps to make it harder for the rats with tails to find your
plants.

Bill

Holey moley... you actually think squirrels take geometry in high school.
Now my squirrels must have a Phd in calculus, because I toss out peanuts in
every possible random configuration, they find them all, and faster than you
can.

Old 18-03-2009, 07:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Bill" wrote
Try not to plant in a straight line. A naturalist scattering of
plants helps to make it harder for the rats with tails to find your
plants.

Bill

Holey moley... you actually think squirrels take geometry in high school.
Now my squirrels must have a Phd in calculus, because I toss out peanuts in
every possible random configuration, they find them all, and faster than you
can.

Some humans just love straight lines. Dig a small v shaped ditch and
plant away. The world class gymnast "Rat with fancy tail" comes along
and fines a treat and softened or disturbed earth and follows the path
perhaps scent .
Food on the surface is rat with non fancy tail attractant also.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 18-03-2009, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill" wrote

The rats with fancy tails will not eat daffodils. Toxic.
Bill

But when hungry and food is scarce they'll instinctively dig them up, chew
and spit them out and leave them to rot.

It's very difficult to rid an area of an established squirrel population.
They are there because the location is hospitable for "housing" and most
times there is water nearby and a steady source of food. Trapping squirrels
won't work, more will take their place. Shooting at them is just as bad,
more will come, but by shooting sooner or later you'll **** off a neighbor
who will frag you with buckshot. And it's not possible to selectively
poison squirrels, you will also poison many other crtters including domestic
ones, even the carrion eaters... mice will take the bait, seek refuge in
your abode where your cat who never goes outdoors will in turn become
poisoned and very likely die. Setting out poison bait is always the dumbest
of all possible solutions, in fact it's no solution at all, unless you eat
it. There are really two choices, feed the squirrels or don't plant bulbs.

Old 18-03-2009, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Bill" wrote

The rats with fancy tails will not eat daffodils. Toxic.
Bill

But when hungry and food is scarce they'll instinctively dig them up, chew
and spit them out and leave them to rot.

Never lost a daffodil. Hosta however are prone to mole/vole damage.
We are OVERRUN with squirrels. No hunting pressure and nice folks that
feed them attract the *******s.. Every have one in your house ?

Bill killed 15 flying guys in the last two years in my attic chewed
their way in. Rat Traps and peanut butter ++++. .177 works well but
Baffles 4 of them in a row seem to convince them to visit my neighbors
who feed the cute critters and not visit my yard.

I'll take the bad Karma and not have my electrical system shorted.

Old 18-03-2009, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:11:59 -0400, Phisherman wrote:

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 19:34:34 -0400,
wrote:

Greetings all....

Time to start planting bulbs and some suggestions are needed on
repelling squirrels.

Try squirrel soup. You'll need at least 3 or 4. The meat goes
through a strainer to remove the pesky little bones. I can usually
catch up to 8 in a day using peanut butter crackers. Google for
recipes.

Thanks, but I gotta watch my diet. I like the peanut butter cracker
idea... it'll make nice bait for the traps.

Dumb question... do people actually eat squirrel anymore ??? I'm
in suburbia with a diversified ethnic population.... if these are
delicacies on anyones menu, I'll be more than happy to deliver
fresh ones to their doorstep.... I know venison is appreciated,
and dogs and cats are always welcome... but squirrel ???

Peter

I'm sure Rachel or Om will be along soon with a recipe, but, getting
back to Jangchub's first question,"Why do you insist on planting items
which you are certain will be demolished by animals?" Then there was
Bill's idea of daffodils, which seem like they would fit the bill,
except for worse case scenarios.

In any event, maybe sprinkle pepper or paprika around squirrel prone
areas. Of course, you may have the bad luck of dealing with Hungarian
squirrels, and they may think that you are just adjusting the seasoning.

http://www.extension.colostate.edu/c...0plants%20.pdf

RABBIT/GROUND SQUIRREL/DEER RESISTANT PLANTS
Irene Shonle
In general, animals are discouraged by:
~ Very aromatic plants
~ Prickles and spines
~ Tough, leathery leaves
~ Toxic plants
~ Milky sap
No list is foolproof --a hungry animal will eat just about anything,
including poisonous plants. Plant deterrent plants surrounding the more
delectable plants.
Newly transplanted plants are more likely to be eaten -especially those
just bought from nurseries, but even those recently moved within a
garden. Bigger plants are more able to withstand nibbling.
Cultural controls such as removing brush piles or other protective cover
where rabbits and ground squirrels hide and nest may help. Provide open
areas in the landscape - small mammals tend to avoid open spaces that
make them vulnerable to predators.
Many odor repellents are ineffective with rabbits, so read labels
carefully before buying them. Something that works for deer may not work
with rabbits. Some products are labeled for both. What works in one
persons' yard may not work in another person's yard.
Fencing with chicken wire fencing, hardware cloth or flexible netting at
least two feet high, buried 4-8 inches under is fairly effective against
rabbits. Deer can be prevented with fencing at least 8 feet high. Raised
beds with hardware cloth (1/4" squares or less) tacked to the bottom can
keep pocket gophers out of gardens. Encircle trees and shrubs with
hardware cloth (buried an inch or two under the ground) to prevent voles
from girdling the trees.
CRITTER RESISTANT PERENNIALS AND BULBS
Alliums, Allium spp.
Sagebrushes, Artemisia frigida and ludoviciana
Basket of Gold , Aurinia saxatilis
Bee balm, Monarda spp.
Black Eyed Susan , Rudbeckia hirta
Blanketflower, Gaillardia spp.
Bleeding Heart , Dicentra spectabilis
Blue Flax , Linum lewisii
Clustered bellflower, Campanula glomerata
Catmints, Nepeta spp.
Chives, Allium schoenoprasum
Cleome, Cleome serrulata
Columbine (marginal), Aquilegia spp (especially bad when newly planted!)
Golden smoke, Corydalis aurea
Creeping Oregon Grape Holly , Mahonia repens
Creeping Phlox , Phlox subulata
Creeping baby's breath, Gypsophila repens
Daffodils * , Narcissus spp.
Delphinium , Delphinium spp. '
Dianthus, Dianthus spp.
Dragon's head , Dracocephalon spp
Engelmann Ivy, Parthenocissus quinquefolia engelmannii
Golden Banner, Thermopsis divaricarpa
Goldenrod, Solidago spp.
Hardy Geraniums, Geranium spp
Hummingbird Flower , Zauschneria garrettii
Iceland Poppy , Papaver nudicaule
Jacob's Ladder , Polemonium caeruleum
Kinnikinnick , Arctostaphylos uva-ursi
Lily-of-the-Valley , Convallaria majalis
Locoweed, Oxytropis
Lupine , Lupinus spp.
May Night Salvia , Salvia sylvestris x 'Mainacht'
Mexican Hat , Ratibida columnifera
Monkshood , Aconitum spp.
Oriental poppy, Papapever orientale
Pearly everlasting, Anaphalis margaritacea
Penstemon , Penstemon spp.
Piqsqueak , Bergenia spp.
Poppies, Papaver spp.
Prince's Plume, Stanelya
Purple Flowering Sage , Salvia nemorosa
Pussytoes , Antennaria
Sage , Artemisia
Sea Pink , Armeria maritima
Sedum, Stone Crop
Siberian Iris , Iris sibirica
Showy daisy, Erigeron spp.
Snow-in-Summer , Cerastium tomentosum
Soapwort , Saponaria ocymoides
Sulphur flower, Eriogonum umbellatum
Tansy aster, Macaeranthera tanacetifolia
Thyme, Thymus species
Veronica, Veronica spp.
Yarrow, Achillea spp.
ORNAMENTAL GRASSES
Blue Fescue (Festuca glauca ) * Blue Avena Oat Grass (Helictotrichon
sempervirens) *
DECIDUOUS SHRUBS
Alpine Currant (Ribes alpinum)
Apache Plume (Fallugia paradoxa)
Boulder Raspberry (Rubus delicious)
Curl Leaf Mountain Mahogany (Cercocarpus ledifolius)
Cotoneaster (Cotoneaster lucidus)
Gambel Oak (Quercus gambelii)
Potentilla (Potentilla spp.)
Rabbitbrush (Chrysothamnus nauseosus)
Snowberry (Symphoricarpos albus)
Tall Western Sage (Artemisia tridentata)
Three Leaf Sumac (Rhus trilobata)
Golden Currant (Ribes aureum)

or you might try:
http://www.ghorganics.com/page6.html

They recommend for squirrel control:
1. Bulbs: soak them in Ropel before planting and squirrels will leave
them alone. You can also dust them with medicated baby powder.

But I still come back to, "Why do you insist on planting items which you
are certain will be demolished by animals?"
--

Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvCCc4g9wM8&NR=1
Old 19-03-2009, 12:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

A friend told me to sprinkle a lot of cayenne pepper around the bulbs
when planting. You can also plant in special baskets made for that or
make your own out of chicken wire.

June

[IMG] code is On

Storing bulbs and tubers Stuart Noble United Kingdom 2 09-03-2008 01:36 PM
Begonia tubers and glad bulbs ctlady Gardening 0 14-01-2007 10:37 PM
Squirrel Digging Up Bulbs (and badgers...) Lorna United Kingdom 0 06-10-2003 12:19 PM
old bulbs / tubers Perksy Gardening 0 04-09-2003 03:02 AM
old bulbs / tubers Perksy Australia 0 01-09-2003 01:02 AM