Old 19-03-2009, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Settle an argument about plastic covers

As I wrote in another thread, I am starting seed in peat pots for the
first time, out of curiosity.

I covered the trays with black plastic until the seedlings broke
through.

Now a landscape architect friend has got me thinking:

My original premise: KEEP THE SEEDS IN THE DARK was exploded when he
pointed out that under the ground they ARE in the dark.

Then I suggested that the black plastic would CONSERVE heat, esp. at
night. (Though this is a mild area (So.Calif coastal) the nights are
cooler than the day.) I used to cover seeds in the ground with black
plastic till they broke through.

He exploded that one by pointed out that clear plastic would do just
as well.

I have no arguments left.

Any advice out there?

Old 20-03-2009, 06:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 19:00:35 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Persephone

BTW......You are dumber than dogshit with your posting handles and
trying to be different personas, Granny.

How many different personas do you try and use? Cripes, you just
gotta do *much* better in trying to be pseudo-anonymous. Stop and
think about which newsgroup you are on before you poke the *SEND*
button.

Charlie

Dear Miss Boson,

I apologize for Charles' gruff behavior, but not to worry, I shall have
a word with him on proper newsgroup etiquette of being ingratiating and
amiable;O)

Now, as to your seeds. They all need light, at least they do once
they have broken the embrace of their seedling mix. There are a number
of herbs that require darkness in germination, but I can't think of a
vegetables that fall into that classification.

Thank you for your continued participation in our little group. Truly,
we don't care about your nom de plume, be it a harlot from the Greek
pantheon, some massively scalar elementary particle, or a massive Greek
particle harlot, all are welcome here.

"Coloribus gustibus non disputatum", as the warden used to say.
--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvCCc4g9wM8&NR=1
Old 23-03-2009, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
As I wrote in another thread, I am starting seed in peat pots for the
first time, out of curiosity.

I covered the trays with black plastic until the seedlings broke
through.

Now a landscape architect friend has got me thinking:

My original premise: KEEP THE SEEDS IN THE DARK was exploded when he
pointed out that under the ground they ARE in the dark.

Then I suggested that the black plastic would CONSERVE heat, esp. at
night. (Though this is a mild area (So.Calif coastal) the nights are
cooler than the day.) I used to cover seeds in the ground with black
plastic till they broke through.

He exploded that one by pointed out that clear plastic would do just
as well.

A friend of mine uses black plastic on his garden, with small circles cut
out where the plants pop up. The main goal is to keep weeds from growing,
and it works a treat.

Jon

Old 23-03-2009, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

I use plastic covers to keep the humidity up. Without them, I would
have to water far more frequently. I take the covers off as soon as the
plants have a leaf; at that time I think too much humidity can be a problem.

I use clear plastic so I can see what is happening. I think black might
provide a little more heat (solar water heating installations encourage
black to get more heat from the sun), but I wouldn't think the heat
increase would be enough to matter.

I have some kind of beast that eats my pepper seedlings when I plant
them, so I borrow my wife's Mason jars and put one over each plant for a
few days; once the plant is a little established, the beast doesn't seem
to bother them, and the heat on a nice sunny day can cook the plant.

Old 24-03-2009, 01:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Jon Danniken" wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Tried that last year and was unhappy that I couldn't spot water, and
when the plant touched the plastic, it got fried. Clear plastic
generates higher temps than does black plastic.

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~taber...pt%2000/redmul
ch.pdf

http://lubbock.tamu.edu/horticulture...sticMulchTypeo
nTomatoGrowthandYield_2004_.pdf