Old 09-08-2011, 03:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home

Default Base for garden shed?

responding to
http://www.gardenalley.com/edible/Ba...hed-13733-.htm
HillaryBashore wrote:
brooklyn1 wrote:

"The moderator" wrote in message
. ..

"mark" wrote
in message
et...

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
I have just ordered a 5ft x 3 ft pent shed with door on the
longer side,
for my allotment.

But how to prepare base? I thinking of just whacking down
a few
runners?

Looked at loads of articles on google including :

http://www.secrets-of-shed-building....oundation.html

But maybe , this is all overkill ?

What do people with real practical experience think is
best way to go?

Ed

I would use 6 concrete blocks, the sort used for building
100mm walls.
About £1 each.
Place these flat side, 3 along each side of the propsed shed
position
with the end ones in a little from the corner so you don't see
too much
of them. Cut them half into the ground, and all level to each
other.
Then place 3, 3inch square posts across the blocks as bearers.
You might like to put a piece of roof felt between block and
bearer.
Erect shed.

mark

I agree with the cinder blocks. That whole crushed gravel design
is bad
idea.

Not a bad idea, just a bit more labor, but costs less than other

materials
and lasts far longer, and a crushed stone base won't move or rot. The
crushed stone base is built up a few inches above grade for drainage
and
compacted by machine, then the shed is set directly on the stone base
which
acts as a shed floor, or for fancy schmancy paver blocks can be set on
the
compacted crushed stone with the shed atop that... if a paver block
patio
were built it would require a 6" crushed stone base, then 2"
of sand, then
more sand brushed between the pavers. Crushed stone costs a lot less
than
cement blocks, heavy lumber stringers, and heavy exterior ply flooring.

But I wouldn't go crazy over a base for a 5' X 3' shed, it's pretty
small, I
don't really think such a small structure qualifys as a shed, it's more
tool cabinet/closet.... screw a piece of 3/4" ext. plywood to the
bottom and
set it atop a 6" X 6" X 10' treated post cut in half and set
directly on the
ground... to keep the posts from moving drill a couple of half inch
holes
through each and drive in a 2' length of 1/2" rebar into the
ground...
refrain from closing off the space underneath, air circulation is
important.
This is a simple three hour job, should cost like $40 including the
rust
pruf screws. The treated posts should last 15-20 years, perhaps a lot
longer, and can easily be replaced. Just do not neglect to anchor it
down
real well, do not scrimp on the anchoring hardware.

My garden shed is the size of an oversized one car garage, in fact it
is a
garage, it sets on a compacted crushed stone base.... my huge barn the
same.... most barns are on a compacted crushed stone base. Won't heave
when
the ground freezes either.

-------------------------------------
The best value complete S.E.O service
Visit our website to find out more.

Great job plus excellent photo's. I personally would love to have the time
create such a lovely garden shed, but don't at the moment. Maybe in a few
years
i will. For now i took the easy way out and got my garden shed and a
carport
from isheds here in Australia.
If anyone is time short like me, check out isheds.com.au
Keep up the great work.

Cheers

HillaryBashore