Old 25-03-2009, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home
Ed Ed is offline

Default Base for garden shed?

I have just ordered a 5ft x 3 ft pent shed with door on the longer side,
for my allotment.

But how to prepare base? I thinking of just whacking down a few runners?

Looked at loads of articles on google including :

http://www.secrets-of-shed-building....oundation.html

But maybe , this is all overkill ?

What do people with real practical experience think is best way to go?

Ed
Old 25-03-2009, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
I have just ordered a 5ft x 3 ft pent shed with door on the longer side,
for my allotment.

But how to prepare base? I thinking of just whacking down a few runners?

Looked at loads of articles on google including :

http://www.secrets-of-shed-building....oundation.html

But maybe , this is all overkill ?

What do people with real practical experience think is best way to go?

Ed

I would use 6 concrete blocks, the sort used for building 100mm walls. About
£1 each.
Place these flat side, 3 along each side of the propsed shed position with
the end ones in a little from the corner so you don't see too much of them.
Cut them half into the ground, and all level to each other.
Then place 3, 3inch square posts across the blocks as bearers.
You might like to put a piece of roof felt between block and bearer. Erect
shed.

mark

Old 25-03-2009, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:46:34 +0000, Ed ex@directory wrote:

I have just ordered a 5ft x 3 ft pent shed with door on the longer side,
for my allotment.

But how to prepare base? I thinking of just whacking down a few runners?

Looked at loads of articles on google including :

http://www.secrets-of-shed-building....oundation.html

But maybe , this is all overkill ?

What do people with real practical experience think is best way to go?

Ed

Depends on what you want to spend. A poured concrete slab is ideal.
Next choice is crushed limestone in a frame. Around here, if a
groundhog, skunk, or chipmonk can get under it, he will.
Old 25-03-2009, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home
Ed Ed is offline

On 25/03/09 13:01, mark wrote:
[...]

I don't know these concrete blocks? where to get them? they better than
4 inch x 4 inch wooden bearers?

Ed

Old 25-03-2009, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home

I would use 6 concrete blocks, the sort used for building 100mm walls.
About £1 each.
Place these flat side, 3 along each side of the propsed shed position with
the end ones in a little from the corner so you don't see too much of
them. Cut them half into the ground, and all level to each other.
Then place 3, 3inch square posts across the blocks as bearers.
You might like to put a piece of roof felt between block and bearer. Erect
shed.

mark

I don't know these concrete blocks? where to get them? they better than
4 inch x 4 inch wooden bearers?

Ed

Blocks arn't instead of the wooden bearers, they support the bearers and
keep them off the ground.

94p each at Wickes:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Dense-Blocks...ck/invt/154040

3" by 3" posts would be adequate for such a short span, which would be the
width of your shed, 3foot less block dimension.

mark

Old 25-03-2009, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home

"Ed" ex@directory wrote:

I have just ordered a 5ft x 3 ft pent shed with door on the longer side,
for my allotment.

But how to prepare base? I thinking of just whacking down a few runners?

Looked at loads of articles on google including :

http://www.secrets-of-shed-building....oundation.html

But maybe , this is all overkill ?

What do people with real practical experience think is best way to go?

Ed

I've no idea what's a "pent" shed. But regardless, you don't want your shed
directly on the ground or it will rot, and move off level, rack, and fall
apart. A shed needs a sturdy base that permits good drainage and air
circulation. But the most important consideration (especially with a
relatively small shed such as yours) is be certain a shed is solidly
fastened to the ground or first time there's a good wind it will blow away,
probably slam into someone elses property doing great damage, causing you
much grief. There exist various tie down systems for anchoring a shed to
the ground. When installing a shed it is wise to "overkill" (prepare for a
hurricane), the cheap turns out expensive.

Old 25-03-2009, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home

"mark" wrote in message
et...

[...]

I agree with the cinder blocks. That whole crushed gravel design is bad
idea.

Old 25-03-2009, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home

On Mar 25, 7:46*am, Ed ex@directory wrote:
I have just ordered a 5ft x 3 ft pent shed with door on the longer side,
for my allotment.

But how to prepare base? *I thinking of just whacking down a few runners?

Looked at loads of articles on google including :

http://www.secrets-of-shed-building....oundation.html

But maybe , this is all overkill ?

What do people with real practical experience think is best way to go?

Ed

Does this shed come with a floor?

If it does, then just putting a concrete block at each corner will do.

If it does not have a floor, then I would put down a layer of crush
rock and put the shed on that.

The main thing is that you do not want wood touching dirt.
It can touch rock or concrete, but not dirt, or it will rot.

Old 25-03-2009, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home

"The moderator" wrote in message
. ..

"mark" wrote in message
et...

[...]

Not a bad idea, just a bit more labor, but costs less than other materials
and lasts far longer, and a crushed stone base won't move or rot. The
crushed stone base is built up a few inches above grade for drainage and
compacted by machine, then the shed is set directly on the stone base which
acts as a shed floor, or for fancy schmancy paver blocks can be set on the
compacted crushed stone with the shed atop that... if a paver block patio
were built it would require a 6" crushed stone base, then 2" of sand, then
more sand brushed between the pavers. Crushed stone costs a lot less than
cement blocks, heavy lumber stringers, and heavy exterior ply flooring.

But I wouldn't go crazy over a base for a 5' X 3' shed, it's pretty small, I
don't really think such a small structure qualifys as a shed, it's more a
tool cabinet/closet.... screw a piece of 3/4" ext. plywood to the bottom and
set it atop a 6" X 6" X 10' treated post cut in half and set directly on the
ground... to keep the posts from moving drill a couple of half inch holes
through each and drive in a 2' length of 1/2" rebar into the ground...
refrain from closing off the space underneath, air circulation is important.
This is a simple three hour job, should cost like $40 including the rust
pruf screws. The treated posts should last 15-20 years, perhaps a lot
longer, and can easily be replaced. Just do not neglect to anchor it down
real well, do not scrimp on the anchoring hardware.

My garden shed is the size of an oversized one car garage, in fact it is a
garage, it sets on a compacted crushed stone base.... my huge barn the
same.... most barns are on a compacted crushed stone base. Won't heave when
the ground freezes either.

Old 25-03-2009, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home
Ed Ed is offline

On 25/03/09 14:32, Granby wrote:
Why not build a frame, use sacrete and make it a little wider so you can
insert anchors into it.

wot u mean?

Old 25-03-2009, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home
Ash Ash is offline

Blocks arn't instead of the wooden bearers, they support the bearers and
keep them off the ground.

94p each at Wickes:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Dense-Blocks...ck/invt/154040

3" by 3" posts would be adequate for such a short span, which would be the
width of your shed, 3foot less block dimension.

mark

For my shed on the allotment I had a ring round and found 3 nice and cheap
concrete fence posts from a local garden centre and laid these on the ground
and then popped my shed on top. Quick, cheap and easy ... it's been ok for
the last 10 years and expect it'll be ok for the next 10 years.

You can either leave the gap under the shed for a nice bit of ventilation of
you can just put some wooden offcuts around the base or something similar to
stop anything wanting to make a home underneath ... I left mine open and
found a family of hedgehogs moved in not long after I put the shed up ...
nice little creatures which love to eat all your snails and slugs.

Ash.

Old 25-03-2009, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home
Ed Ed is offline

On 25/03/09 13:40, mark wrote:

[...]

Do I dig out a bed and lay the blocks direct on the ground or do I dig
out a rectangle and fill it with gravel and lay the blocks on this and
then put the bearers on top?

Ed

Old 25-03-2009, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,free.uk.diy.home

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message news:49CA5E8D.9000606@directory...
On 25/03/09 13:40, mark wrote:

[...]

For my shed, 12 by 8, I just put my blocks direct on the ground, dug them in
a little so that they were 'firmed' in and level with each other. I didn't
dig out anything else. Vegetation underneath (in my case lawn) soon died
off.
mark