Old 09-04-2009, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
ron ron is offline

Default How to get rid of clover that's taking over the lawn???

It began last year with a small patch of clover and now it's a major
problem taking over the entire front lawn. It also attracts deer that
eat the clover and they then eat the shrubs for desert.
How do I kill the clover without killing the remaining grass?
Old 09-04-2009, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

ron wrote:
It began last year with a small patch of clover and now it's a major
problem taking over the entire front lawn. It also attracts deer that
eat the clover and they then eat the shrubs for desert.
How do I kill the clover without killing the remaining grass?

Weed and feed or just some broadleaf weed killer. Getting rid of clover
will not keep deer away.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 13:03:24 -0700 (PDT), ron
wrote:

It began last year with a small patch of clover and now it's a major
problem taking over the entire front lawn. It also attracts deer that
eat the clover and they then eat the shrubs for desert.
How do I kill the clover without killing the remaining grass?

Actually clover in grass is not such a bad thing, except for the bees.
A broadleaf killer will work on clover, but even better to enjoy deer
burgers.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Registered User

As a farmer, I know that I can easily get rid of clover by over-grazing it. Not that I want too though - it's far cheaper than polluting fertilizer! Most organic farmers use it in rotation to fix nitrogen.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucretian View Post
As a farmer, I know that I can easily get rid of clover by over-grazing it. Not that I want too though - it's far cheaper than polluting fertilizer! Most organic farmers use it in rotation to fix nitrogen.
I wonder whether keeping the lawn cut very short might be a good option. Anything's preferable to synthetic chemicals anyway. My grandparents sprayed their lawn last year, and it's never been right since. Been taken over by moss now!

Old 10-04-2009, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
ron ron is offline

wrote:

It began last year with a small patch of clover and now it's a major
problem taking over the entire front lawn. It also attracts deer that
eat the clover and they then eat the shrubs for desert.
How do I kill the clover without killing the remaining grass?

Actually clover in grass is not such a bad thing, except for the bees.
A broadleaf killer will work on clover, but even better to enjoy deer
burgers.

The deer hunters in these parts plant clover fields to attract the
deer so they're partial to clover. I'll use the broadleaf weed killer
for the clover now and dust off my old 30-30 Marlin 336 for deer
burgers this comming November...Thanks for the replys.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

It began last year with a small patch of clover and now it's a major
problem taking over the entire front lawn. It also attracts deer that
eat the clover and they then eat the shrubs for desert.
How do I kill the clover without killing the remaining grass?

Actually clover in grass is not such a bad thing, except for the bees.
A broadleaf killer will work on clover, but even better to enjoy deer
burgers.

The deer hunters in these parts plant clover fields to attract the
deer so they're partial to clover. I'll use the broadleaf weed killer
for the clover now and dust off my old 30-30 Marlin 336 for deer
burgers this comming November...Thanks for the replys.

You oughta shove a swiffer duster up your butt while carousing in the woods
next hunting season... what a jerk.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

It began last year with a small patch of clover and now it's a major
problem taking over the entire front lawn. It also attracts deer that
eat the clover and they then eat the shrubs for desert.
How do I kill the clover without killing the remaining grass?

Actually clover in grass is not such a bad thing, except for the bees.
A broadleaf killer will work on clover, but even better to enjoy deer
burgers.

The deer hunters in these parts plant clover fields to attract the
deer so they're partial to clover. I'll use the broadleaf weed killer
for the clover now and dust off my old 30-30 Marlin 336 for deer
burgers this comming November...Thanks for the replys.

Leave the clover alone so it attracts more deer. They will eat the clover,
and you can bag them if they go for the shrubbery. Deer burgers...nummy!
Deer steaks aren't bad if you can catch a young one, they tend to be a bit
chewy if it's an older deer. Older deer make fabulous stews. And what isn't
fit for human consumption will be eagerly devoured by the dogs :-)

Old 10-04-2009, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Zootal" wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I used to car pool with Ralph 20 years ago. I was wondering why he was
late a few times. Seem on the way over to pick me up he would hit a
deer. Which he would then take home and his father would pickle.

Waste not want not.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Not all who wander are lost.

Some Hopi gardener said, "This is not about growing vegetables; it
is about growing kids."