Old 13-04-2009, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default 50 year old Camellia and Azalea dropping blossoms

I live in Van Nuys, Southern California, zip 91402. Both my 50 year old
Camellia and an approximately 35 year old Azalea just produced a
beautiful set of blossoms this spring.

The camellia began dropping fully open and partially open flowers almost
immediately after the bush was loaded with blossoms. Is this normal
behavior for camellias in this Southern Calif location? This bush has
dropped flowers for several seasons. I am careful not to feed prior or
during blossom time. How can I prevent blossom drop? How long should the
open blossoms remain open and on the bush at my location?

The Azalea, very near the Camellia also opened a huge number of very
colorful blossoms. For the last week or so, the fully open blossoms are
falling off. Is blossom dropping this early in spring normal for my
location? How many weeks should open blossoms remain open and on the
bush. Again, I am careful to not feed before or during blossom time.

Taank you for suggestions and reports of typical behavior from Southern
Calif. folks. I am having similar troubles with a Gardenia bush in the
same exposure and flower bed. The Gardenia bush drop most of its leaves
last fall. Replacement new leaf growth are very small and slow despite
feeding.

Many thanks, Dave_s
Old 14-04-2009, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/13/2009 11:14 AM, Dave_S wrote:
[...]

I suggest you contact Descanso Gardens in La Cañada Flintridge about
this question. They are between you and Pasadena, off the 210 Freeway.
The main feature of Descanso Gardens is its forest of old camellia
bushes. This was originally the estate of Manchester Boddy, a newspaper
publisher in Los Angeles who also had a side business of supplying cut
camellias to florists.

See http://www.descansogardens.org/site/.

--
David E. Ross