GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Green, leaf-like insect (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/182832-green-leaf-like-insect.html)

jenann 20-04-2009 12:47 PM

Green, leaf-like insect

I have found a number of green, flat, leaf-like insects in my garden and I'm wondering if they are good or bad. Should I leave them alone or dispatch them to green, leaf-like insect heaven? They are about 1cm long.

Val 20-04-2009 03:57 PM

Green, leaf-like insect

Sounds like it might be a katydid, part of the grasshopper family.
http://bugguide.net/node/view/29605

They do eat foliage and sometimes munch on flowers and buds, depends on the
exact species. If you don't have a whole herd of them over running through
your garden I personally wouldn't worry about it. You could use a BT
(Bacillus thuringensis) based pest control if they become a major problem.
Otherwise the birds will eat some and you can enjoy their evening symphony.

Val

--
jenann

Garrapata 20-04-2009 05:23 PM

Green, leaf-like insect

I have found a number of green, flat, leaf-like insects in my garden and
I'm wondering if they are good or bad. Should I leave them alone or
dispatch them to green, leaf-like insect heaven? They are about 1cm
long.

They could be Lacewings, a very beneficial predator of aphids. Google
green lacewing and see if that is what you have
--

09=ix