GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Espellier apple tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/182905-espellier-apple-tree.html)

George.com 23-04-2009 01:50 AM

Espellier apple tree

I have a section of wall along my back fence I am thinking of using to
espellier an apple tree. The wall is about 2 m high and 3-4 m long. The soil
is about 12-18 inchs of loam, well draining good stuff.

Question for someone who might know please, do you think I'd be better of
with a dwarf rootstock tree or will a semi-dwarf be ok in that area?

I realise there will be some pruning necessary but I don't want anything
that will get away on me.

I have my eye on a couple of old variety apple trees.

Thanks

Rob

pbein 23-04-2009 09:05 AM

Espellier apple tree

On Apr 22, 5:50*pm, "George.com" wrote:
Hi george,
We had planted pear trees along our fence and went for freestyle
espaliering where we prune as required since we wanted the whole fence
covered without making a structured espalier.
We planted dwarf rootstock and they have done very well in covering a
10 foot fence and are very productive.
Make sure to get a compatible pollinator and have fun!
Sandra