Old 26-04-2009, 06:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Can I grow bulbs under tree mulch?

I live in the Denver area and have some areas of the yard that I'm
replacing with shredded tree mulch. We have a tree company that shreds
trees and is nearby, and once in awhile we can get them to drop off a
truck load of mulch.

What I'm wondering is: Even though grass wont grow up from under the mulch
( it's 4" or so deep ) will bulbs come up from under that if I plant them
under it?

Like tulips?

Old 26-04-2009, 01:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article 42,
Sarah Houston wrote:

I live in the Denver area and have some areas of the yard that I'm
replacing with shredded tree mulch. We have a tree company that shreds
trees and is nearby, and once in awhile we can get them to drop off a
truck load of mulch.

What I'm wondering is: Even though grass wont grow up from under the mulch
( it's 4" or so deep ) will bulbs come up from under that if I plant them
under it?

Like tulips?

Large flowering bulbs will come up thru 4 inches of mulch (e.g. daffs,
tulips) and multiply and return year after year. Small flowering bulbs
(e.g. crocus) will flower, but will struggle to come back year after
year. They will not have enough leaf area above the mulch to gather the
energy to multiply and grow back strongly.
Old 27-04-2009, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

Doug Houseman wrote :

In article 42,
Sarah Houston wrote:

I live in the Denver area and have some areas of the yard that I'm
replacing with shredded tree mulch. We have a tree company that
shreds trees and is nearby, and once in awhile we can get them to
drop off a truck load of mulch.

What I'm wondering is: Even though grass wont grow up from under the
mulch ( it's 4" or so deep ) will bulbs come up from under that if I
plant them under it?

Like tulips?

Large flowering bulbs will come up thru 4 inches of mulch (e.g.
daffs, tulips) and multiply and return year after year. Small
flowering bulbs (e.g. crocus) will flower, but will struggle to come
back year after year. They will not have enough leaf area above the
mulch to gather the energy to multiply and grow back strongly.

Thanks Doug.

I wonder about dahlias.

But those are annuals anyway, I guess.

Old 27-04-2009, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 00:35:23 -0500, Sarah Houston wrote:

I live in the Denver area and have some areas of the yard that I'm
replacing with shredded tree mulch. We have a tree company that shreds
trees and is nearby, and once in awhile we can get them to drop off a
truck load of mulch.

What I'm wondering is: Even though grass wont grow up from under the mulch
( it's 4" or so deep ) will bulbs come up from under that if I plant them
under it?

Like tulips?

Tulips, Daff's will come up as will many other plants.... I've mulched
2 - 4" around trees and beds back in March.... the hostas, plantains,
roses, daff, tulips, peopies are all coming up.

4" is enough mulch to keep a lot of (desireable) seeds from sprouting.

Not sure about ferns.

Peter

Old 27-04-2009, 12:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sarah Houston wrote:

I live in the Denver area and have some areas of the yard that I'm
replacing with shredded tree mulch. We have a tree company that shreds
trees and is nearby, and once in awhile we can get them to drop off a
truck load of mulch.

What I'm wondering is: Even though grass wont grow up from under the mulch
( it's 4" or so deep ) will bulbs come up from under that if I plant them
under it?

Depends more on piece size and compaction than overall thickness. I don't
recommend taking mulch from tree removal companies and power line clearing
crews just because it's free. They grind material from over a broad range
which vastly increases the odds of acquiring a plethera of serious diseases
and insect infestations (I learned the hard way). The bagged pine bark
nuggets I buy is sterilized, is available in various sized pieces, is
inexpensive, is attractive, and lasts a long time.