Old 06-05-2009, 11:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tiny ants, part II

Ok, I've tried using pulverized limestone, plus a number of other
suggestions, like pepper powder, and cinnamon. It really did little more
than make a mess of my kitchen, and the area right outside our house. The
ants are still all over the kitchen.

At this point, I would simply like to know what sort of granular pesticide
I can buy to put on the soil near our house to make sure that any ants
nearby in the soil are killed, and stay killed. It looks like Diazinon has
been withdrawn, and that would have been my first choice in the past.

Old 15-05-2009, 06:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ok, I've tried using pulverized limestone, plus a number of other
suggestions, like pepper powder, and cinnamon. It really did little more
than make a mess of my kitchen, and the area right outside our house. The
ants are still all over the kitchen.

At this point, I would simply like to know what sort of granular pesticide
I can buy to put on the soil near our house to make sure that any ants
nearby in the soil are killed, and stay killed. It looks like Diazinon has
been withdrawn, and that would have been my first choice in the past.

The trouble with diazinon and similar pesticides is they kill too
quickly. you need something that they take back to the nest and gets
distributed to all of them.
I've been out of the business for a while and haven't kept up with what
is available but boric acid powder mixed with sugar or grease is an old
standard and I have had good luck with Grant's ant stakes
--

09=ix
Old 15-05-2009, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

you need to determine what kind of ants, then get one of those poisoned bait tins or
whatever they will eat. has everyone seen the new fly they are using against fire
ants? zombiiiiiieeees..
INgrid
Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago
Old 16-05-2009, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
news
you need to determine what kind of ants, then get one of those poisoned
bait tins or
whatever they will eat. has everyone seen the new fly they are using
against fire
ants? zombiiiiiieeees..
INgrid

I live close to one of the release sites in Alabama, The phorid flies
haven't wiped the fireants out
but the mounds are having unusual die offs.

I have high hopes that it will at least make the ants manageable.

basilisk

Old 18-05-2009, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Corn starch... ants eat it, can't digest it, and die.

[IMG] code is On

Tiny ants, part II OhioGuy Gardening 12 07-05-2009 09:46 PM
ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 09:13 PM
Tiny tiny blue flowers Paddy's Pig[_2_] Garden Photos 2 22-03-2008 05:39 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 07:36 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 04:32 PM