Old 13-05-2009, 11:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default front-yard gardens?

"Ablang" wrote in message
I just read a good article in the Sacramento News & Review. It is
he

http://www.newsreview.com/reno/content?oid=970712

I was wondering (after reading that article) if there was any legal
restrictions to growing fruits, veggies, & other crops in one's front
yard in Sacramento County? What about eliminating a lawn in favor of
such ideas?

So what have you grown in favor of a green lawn?

Cat's out of the bag, in public eye now. You can expect the local home
owners associations in each part of the country creating new rules for your
front yard garden, that is, if they even allow it. Its all a matter of
local prevailing opinon of each local home owners associaton. This could be
funny, ludicrous, and anal all rolled up in one. All will make up reasons
as they go along for their rulings to suit each local HOA opinions. I'll
keep my comments about that mum.
--
Dave
We the people...

Old 14-05-2009, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 10, 6:39 pm, Ablang wrote:
I just read a good article in the Sacramento News & Review. It is
he

http://www.newsreview.com/reno/content?oid=970712

I was wondering (after reading that article) if there was any legal
restrictions to growing fruits, veggies, & other crops in one's front
yard in Sacramento County? What about eliminating a lawn in favor of
such ideas?

So what have you grown in favor of a green lawn?

No restrictions here north in Butte County.
My lawnless (not lawless) front consists of

To the right of the drive is a border of native plants/low shrubs with
accents
of a 25 yr old crepe myrtle and a trident maple grown from a seed.
No water or maybe once a month

The larger area to the left of the drive is anchored at the four
corners with a
very large Viburnum tinus, a western Redbud, a Loropetalum, and an
arbor/arch
with a climbing rose. Along the front of the house are the plants
that get water
regularly: camellias, azaleas, daylilies, columbine, abutilon, among
others.
Water twice a week.

Along the front/sidewalk between the Loropetalum and the Redbud are
also drought
tolerant plants/natives with volcanic rocks making slightly raised
beds.
In the center is a brick circle with a brick pathway leading in to
it.

Emilie
NorCal
Old 16-05-2009, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Here's what I got from Sacramento County Code Enforcement:

Ron,
There are no legal restrictions on front yard gardens. Just make sure
that you maintain it. Way to think outside the box.
Barry

Barry C.
Senior Code Enforcement Officer - CDBG
Code Enforcement Division

Department of Neighborhood Services/MSA

Code Enforcement Website

County of Sacramento

www.saccounty.net
Old 16-05-2009, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Ablang" wrote:

Here's what I got from Sacramento County Code Enforcement:

Ron,
There are no legal restrictions on front yard gardens. Just make sure
that you maintain it.

That sure sounds like a big restriction to me... what do they mean by
"maintain it"?