Old 28-05-2009, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Planting boxes

I have decided to make some raised planting boxes rather than go into the
earth, which here is a combination of sand dune sand and caliche. I believe
that some treated lumber would last the longest, or perhaps some railroad
ties. Maybe some old building beams if I can find them for a decent price.

Is there a danger of the chemicals leaching out from treated lumber or
railroad ties for garden beds? What if I put a liner? I intend on going to
the nursery, and getting a really good mix of soil delivered, or maybe just
getting some bales of peat moss, and some bags of soil and mixing. But I
don't want to do all the work and spend all the money if I am planting these
things in a toxic box.

TIA

Steve

Old 28-05-2009, 04:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

news

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creosote

Old 28-05-2009, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Joe J." wrote in message
news

"SteveB" wrote in message
news
I have decided to make some raised planting boxes rather than go into the
earth, which here is a combination of sand dune sand and caliche. I
believe that some treated lumber would last the longest, or perhaps some
railroad ties. Maybe some old building beams if I can find them for a
decent price.

Is there a danger of the chemicals leaching out from treated lumber or
railroad ties for garden beds? What if I put a liner? I intend on going
to the nursery, and getting a really good mix of soil delivered, or maybe
just getting some bales of peat moss, and some bags of soil and mixing.
But I don't want to do all the work and spend all the money if I am
planting these things in a toxic box.

TIA

Steve

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creosote

WOW! Thanks, Joe! That was interesting. It didn't answer my questions,
but it was interesting. I would also like to hear your input and opinions
about the questions asked.

Thanks again.

Steve

Old 28-05-2009, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

If you are looking for non toxic longevity why don't you look into composite
lumber for your raised beds.

Val
news

Old 28-05-2009, 06:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

"SteveB" wrote:

I have decided to make some raised planting boxes

Is there a danger of the chemicals leaching out from treated lumber or
railroad ties for garden beds?

The newer preservatives used to pressure treat lumber are safe for vegetable
gardening, still don't burn it. Real RR ties are fine too so long as you
use old/used ones... virtually all that can leach into soil has long ago
leached out... you wouldn't want to pay the price of new anyway. My entire
50' X 50' garden is bordered with old 12" RR ties, cost me a dollar a linear
foot. They're suffiiciently heavy that they aren't prone to shifting,
however I still drove rebar through and joined them all with fish plate.
And set about halfway into the ground do not permit invasive weeds to
trespass (the hay in my fields is far more invasive and infinitely tougher
than your wussy Bermuda/Zoysia grass and try as it might it can't get
through, plus they make a very sturdy anchor for deer fencing.

My garden is all tilled and almost all my walkways and weedblock cloth is
back in... even began planting. My garden is designed for efficiency/ease,
not pretty. Along the left side is a small spring fed stream, I never need
to water. It actually gets to look pretty lush once it's all planted and is
growing. I don't try to plant more than I can use anymore... having a lot
of space saves a lot of labor harvesting and everything grows bigger and
better.

Lower left plot already has peas and green beans just breaking the surface:
http://i44.tinypic.com/210iphs.jpg

Romaine is in:
http://i41.tinypic.com/2mfazgw.jpg

Green cabbage, still gotta plant red:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2142rmb.jpg

Kale:
http://i43.tinypic.com/riroyp.jpg

Old 28-05-2009, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

SteveB wrote:
I have decided to make some raised planting boxes rather than go into the
earth, which here is a combination of sand dune sand and caliche. I believe
that some treated lumber would last the longest, or perhaps some railroad
ties. Maybe some old building beams if I can find them for a decent price.

There's probably lots of materials, if you look around. I terraced my
garden with bricks, had lots of them from the house across the street
that burned down... Actually, the terrace bricks came from a Subway Shop
that a truck ran into...

Jeff

Old 28-05-2009, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 28 May 2009 08:59:22 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

I have decided to make some raised planting boxes rather than go into the
earth, which here is a combination of sand dune sand and caliche. I believe
that some treated lumber would last the longest, or perhaps some railroad
ties. Maybe some old building beams if I can find them for a decent price.

Is there a danger of the chemicals leaching out from treated lumber or
railroad ties for garden beds? What if I put a liner? I intend on going to
the nursery, and getting a really good mix of soil delivered, or maybe just
getting some bales of peat moss, and some bags of soil and mixing. But I
don't want to do all the work and spend all the money if I am planting these
things in a toxic box.

TIA

Steve

Other "outdoor" woods include

cedar
cypress
white oak
redwood
teak

Sometimes you can fine these woods sold as fence slats.
Old 28-05-2009, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Joe J." wrote in message
news

"SteveB" wrote in message
news
[...]

Sorry, when you talked about using railroad ties, I thought a link to the
ill effects of creosote might be helpful. My mistake I guess.

[IMG] code is On

Planting boxes for flowers SteveB[_11_] Edible Gardening 2 29-05-2009 04:04 AM
Blushing old ladies and young maidens, with boxes of spring scattered about madgarder Gardening 10 01-04-2003 12:44 PM
another question for Bob B.- Planting boxes roses? JimS. Roses 1 14-03-2003 03:32 AM
Flower Boxes on Fence Warren Gardening 7 28-01-2003 04:13 PM
pressure treated wood for training boxes? John Bonsai 0 23-01-2003 04:07 PM