Old 05-06-2009, 04:02 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Run, Rabbit, Run

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Suzanne D." wrote:

I've often been criticized for allowing my female cat to have kittens now
and then, by people who are concerned that domestic cats are a danger to
the
local wildlife. I hear stories about how cats sometimes kill rabbits,
and
how terrible this is for the poor little rabbits. I think there are
certain
cases where a couple of hungry outdoor cats could actually help, and this
situation would be one of them.
--S.

I'm sure the animal shelter is full of cats that would love to chase
rabbits.

They ought to set some of them loose in the gardens.
--S.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"KC" wrote in message
On Jun 4, 5:29 pm, "Suzanne D." wrote:

I've often been criticized for allowing my female cat to have kittens now
and then, by people who are concerned that domestic cats are a danger to
the
local wildlife. I hear stories about how cats sometimes kill rabbits, and
how terrible this is for the poor little rabbits. I think there are
certain
cases where a couple of hungry outdoor cats could actually help, and this
situation would be one of them.
--S.

I agree. But wildlife follows a food chain, and the cat that catches
a rabbit is itself a favorite catch for the coyote. I believe it all
balances out in the end unless man intervenes and tips the scale.
_________________

Yeah. That's why we take care of our pets, but accept that sometimes they
will not have the same lifespan as pets who are inside all their lives.
With freedom comes reality.
--S.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 4, 10:02*pm, "Suzanne D." wrote:

I'm sure the animal shelter is full of cats that would love to chase
rabbits.

They ought to set some of them loose in the gardens.
--S.

I have 2 unclaimed cats that consider my backyard part of their
hunting territory. We have an agreement - they keep the critters out
of my garden and I don't notify the animal control folks. They've
upheld their part of the bargain except for the mole that's giving me
fits - they just don't want to get dirty digging him out.

KC
Old 05-06-2009, 10:01 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"KC" wrote in message news:8920edf3-eea2-4ebe-926a-
I have 2 unclaimed cats that consider my backyard part of their
hunting territory. We have an agreement - they keep the critters out
of my garden and I don't notify the animal control folks. They've
upheld their part of the bargain except for the mole that's giving me
fits - they just don't want to get dirty digging him out.
_________________

I love a good farm cat for clearing out the critters. My cat is always fat
in the summer, and she brings extras for me. I should find a recipe for
partly masticated rodents.
--S.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

KC wrote:
On Jun 4, 10:02 pm, "Suzanne D." wrote:

I'm sure the animal shelter is full of cats that would love to chase
rabbits.

They ought to set some of them loose in the gardens.
--S.

I have 2 unclaimed cats that consider my backyard part of their
hunting territory. We have an agreement - they keep the critters out
of my garden and I don't notify the animal control folks. They've
upheld their part of the bargain except for the mole that's giving me
fits - they just don't want to get dirty digging him out.

I see cats catch moles, but I've never seen one eat one, apparently
they aren't very tasty. Mice are next down on the list. The perfect cat
food appears to be chipmunks. Everything else falls in the middle ground
and appears to be acceptable eating.

Jeff

KC

Old 11-06-2009, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:51:16 -0400, Jeff wrote:

KC wrote:
On Jun 4, 10:02 pm, "Suzanne D." wrote:

I'm sure the animal shelter is full of cats that would love to chase
rabbits.
They ought to set some of them loose in the gardens.
--S.

I have 2 unclaimed cats that consider my backyard part of their
hunting territory. We have an agreement - they keep the critters out
of my garden and I don't notify the animal control folks. They've
upheld their part of the bargain except for the mole that's giving me
fits - they just don't want to get dirty digging him out.

I see cats catch moles, but I've never seen one eat one, apparently
they aren't very tasty. Mice are next down on the list. The perfect cat
food appears to be chipmunks. Everything else falls in the middle ground
and appears to be acceptable eating.

Jeff

According to Annie, a cat friend of mine, mole heads are quite tasty.

Kate - along with bird heads and mouse heads.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jeff" wrote

I have noticed that most cats eat their prey head first, I'm not sure if
that is out of convenience or whether they start at the tastiest end.

Cats ain't stupid... maybe you would start eating a mouse at its ass hole.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Registered User

Coyotes to make our residents down in Alabama for many years, but this this year all the places I saw cottontails. Guess they breeding faster than the wolf to seize them.
Pond Supplies