Old 01-06-2009, 04:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cascalote tree losing leaves

I live in the AZ desert and have a Cascalote tree [Caesalpinia
cacalaco] that my local nursery planted. It's approx. 8 feet tall x 8
feet wide. It was beautiful when it was planted four months ago, but
the tree is not doing well now. The leaves are turning yellow, and
leaves are falling off big time. I'm wondering if I might be over-
watering it (what are the symptoms of over-watering a tree???) Also,
some of the leaves seem to have little specks of a white crystalline
substance on them -- it kind of looks like rock salt. Is that a sign
of an insect problem? Thank you for any information.
-john
Old 02-06-2009, 01:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

No thoughts or ideas? Anyone?

Old 02-06-2009, 12:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

zgraf said:

No thoughts or ideas? Anyone?

The only though from way up here in Michigan is, perhaps
to consult the nursery. They planted it for you. Did they
offer some sort of guarantee?

Knock a branch over a sheet of white paper and check to see
if any tiny insects can be seen crawling on it. (A quick Googling
suggests that psyllid infestation is possible in April/May.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 02-06-2009, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 2, 3:22*am, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
zgraf said:

No thoughts or ideas? *Anyone?

The only though from way up here in Michigan is, perhaps
to consult the nursery. * They planted it for you. *Did they
offer some sort of guarantee?

Knock a branch over a sheet of white paper and check to see
if any tiny insects can be seen crawling on it. *(A quick Googling
suggests that psyllid infestation is possible in April/May.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell." *

email valid but not regularly monitored

Thanks, Pat. Appreciate the information.
Old 20-04-2014, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

replying to zgraf , John S. wrote:
zgraf wrote:

I live in the AZ desert and have a Cascalote tree [Caesalpinia
cacalaco] that my local nursery planted. It's approx. 8 feet tall x 8
feet wide. It was beautiful when it was planted four months ago, but
the tree is not doing well now. The leaves are turning yellow, and
leaves are falling off big time. I'm wondering if I might be over-
watering it (what are the symptoms of over-watering a tree???) Also,
some of the leaves seem to have little specks of a white crystalline
substance on them -- it kind of looks like rock salt. Is that a sign
of an insect problem? Thank you for any information.
-john

I have the same problem with a Cascalote tree in our yard. It has the
same symptoms of dropping leaves and the little crystal specks on the
leaves. Did you ever get an answer or solution?

John S.

Old 21-04-2014, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

zgraf wrote:

I live in the AZ desert and have a Cascalote tree [Caesalpinia
cacalaco] that my local nursery planted. It's approx. 8 feet tall x 8
feet wide. It was beautiful when it was planted four months ago, but
the tree is not doing well now. The leaves are turning yellow, and
leaves are falling off big time. I'm wondering if I might be over-
watering it (what are the symptoms of over-watering a tree???) Also,
some of the leaves seem to have little specks of a white crystalline
substance on them -- it kind of looks like rock salt. Is that a sign
of an insect problem? Thank you for any information.
-john

I have the same problem with a Cascalote tree in our yard. It has the
same symptoms of dropping leaves and the little crystal specks on the
leaves. Did you ever get an answer or solution?

John S.

According to Sunset's "Western Garden Book", you are likely overwatering
it. This is a drought-tolerant tree that needs "well-drained soil and
infrequent, deep watering."

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 06-04-2015, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Crystal like bugs on cascalote tree

replying to zgraf , Jo -arizona wrote:
zgraf wrote:

I live in the AZ desert and have a Cascalote tree [Caesalpinia
cacalaco] that my local nursery planted. It's approx. 8 feet tall x 8
feet wide. It was beautiful when it was planted four months ago, but
the tree is not doing well now. The leaves are turning yellow, and
leaves are falling off big time. I'm wondering if I might be over-
watering it (what are the symptoms of over-watering a tree???) Also,
some of the leaves seem to have little specks of a white crystalline
substance on them -- it kind of looks like rock salt. Is that a sign
of an insect problem? Thank you for any information.
-john

Try power hosing the entire tree every few days. This aids in controlling
them. I also recommend spraying with a general purpose pesticide once a
week for two to three weeks.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

zgraf wrote:

I live in the AZ desert and have a Cascalote tree [Caesalpinia
cacalaco] that my local nursery planted. It's approx. 8 feet tall x
8 feet wide. It was beautiful when it was planted four months ago,
but the tree is not doing well now. The leaves are turning yellow,
and leaves are falling off big time. I'm wondering if I might be
over- watering it (what are the symptoms of over-watering a tree???)
Also, some of the leaves seem to have little specks of a white
crystalline substance on them -- it kind of looks like rock salt. Is
that a sign of an insect problem? Thank you for any information.
-john

Try power hosing the entire tree every few days. This aids in
controlling them. I also recommend spraying with a general purpose
pesticide once a week for two to three weeks.

The description is not very clear. What do you think 'they' are? It is an
idea to find out what you are dealing with before spraying.

--
David

Corporate propaganda is their
protection against democracy

Old 08-04-2015, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

replying to David Hare-Scott , Jo wrote:
secret wrote:

The description is not very clear. What do you think 'they' are? It is

an
idea to find out what you are dealing with before spraying.

I don't know what
' they' are even after considerable research.That's why I advised using a
general purpose spray. We had the same problem on a cascolote tree where
I work and by power hosing them they disappeared and the tree recuperated.
The "bugs' showed up again this spring so I am repeating the power hosing
treatment and spraying with an all purpose insecticide spray and it is
definitely having an effect.