Old 01-06-2009, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default hornworms on tomato plants

Is there an easy way to get rid of hornworms on my tomato plants? I
am a new gardener. I found one yesterday and one today, theya are
hard to see and there are probably more.

I googled and found Bonide Bt Thuricide but was wondering if there is
another 'home' solution.

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2009, 12:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Just pick them off by hand unless you have a lot of them. If there are a
lot, use BT on them. It is a bacteria that kills them quite nicely and
should be available at your local hardware/garden store.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Zootal" wrote in
:

I'm not quite that brave. Tomatoe plants are poisonous, and I'm
not sure I want to eat something that eats them. Actually, it
doesn't matter what they eat...just the thought of stir fried
THWs...ewww...

i wouldn't eat hornworms that have been feeding on tomato plants.
i've seen toads die from eating them & i would guess that it is
because of the toxins from the tomato leaves. hownworms that have
been eating ash or oak leaves are not toxic to toads.
BTW, it was a pretty quick death. less than 5 minutes from ingesting
the hornworm.
lee
Old 03-06-2009, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

"enigma" wrote in message
"Zootal" wrote in
:

I'm not quite that brave. Tomatoe plants are poisonous, and I'm
not sure I want to eat something that eats them. Actually, it
doesn't matter what they eat...just the thought of stir fried
THWs...ewww...

i wouldn't eat hornworms that have been feeding on tomato plants.
i've seen toads die from eating them & i would guess that it is
because of the toxins from the tomato leaves. hownworms that have
been eating ash or oak leaves are not toxic to toads.
BTW, it was a pretty quick death. less than 5 minutes from ingesting
the hornworm.
lee

Does cooking destroy the toxin?

Old 03-06-2009, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 20:07:00 -0700, "Zootal"
spuked forth:

Charlie wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 17:44:26 -0500, spuked forth:

Is there an easy way to get rid of hornworms on my tomato plants? I
am a new gardener. I found one yesterday and one today, theya are
hard to see and there are probably more.

I googled and found Bonide Bt Thuricide but was wondering if there is
another 'home' solution.

Thanks!

I've read that they are a good compliment to fried green tomatoes, but
must be very gently cooked in order that they don't rupture. I'm
still working up my nerve for that one.

So, my recommendation is hand picking. I've also seen cardinals doing
a big number on the small ones.

Charlie

I'm not quite that brave. Tomatoe plants are poisonous, and I'm not sure I
want to eat something that eats them. Actually, it doesn't matter what
they
eat...just the thought of stir fried THWs...ewww...

Enjoy! ;-)

http://bertc.com/subfive/recipes/hornworms.htm

Charlie

Tnx for the link - I forwarded it to my son - he is quite experimental when
it comes to eating things that crawl, creep, slither, etc. I expect he will
be quite interested in this one too (shudder...)

Old 07-06-2009, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 1, 6:44*pm, wrote:
Is there an easy way to get rid of hornworms on my tomato plants? *I
am a new gardener. *I found one yesterday and one today, theya are
hard to see and there are probably more.

I googled and found Bonide Bt Thuricide but was wondering if there is
another 'home' solution.

Thanks!

Thuricide is good, BT is harmless to humans and pets. Use it.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Johnny Borborigmi" wrote in message
On Jun 1, 6:44 pm, wrote:
Is there an easy way to get rid of hornworms on my tomato plants? I
am a new gardener. I found one yesterday and one today, theya are
hard to see and there are probably more.

I googled and found Bonide Bt Thuricide but was wondering if there is
another 'home' solution.

Thanks!

Thuricide is good, BT is harmless to humans and pets. Use it.

Place hornworm on piece of board.
Place another piece of board on top of hornworm.
Press boards together.
Works for me.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying