Old 26-03-2009, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Stakes for Gladiolas

I would like to find a source for inexpensive metal stakes to support my
gladiolas.

Can anyone direct me to a good source on line?

Thanks

Old 26-03-2009, 08:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Denis Mitchel" wrote:

I would like to find a source for inexpensive metal stakes to support my
gladiolas.

Can anyone direct me to a good source on line?

Thanks

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch...06-06/msg00557
..html

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 26-03-2009, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Denis Mitchel" wrote:

I would like to find a source for inexpensive metal stakes to support my
gladiolas.

Can anyone direct me to a good source on line?

Most any plant nursery or hardware emporium will sell bundles of thin bamboo
stakes... you can buy them on line but with shipping they'll likely cost
twice as much.

http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore...es-277616.aspx

Old 26-03-2009, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

brooklyn1 wrote:
"Denis Mitchel" wrote:
I would like to find a source for inexpensive metal stakes to support my
gladiolas.

Can anyone direct me to a good source on line?

Most any plant nursery or hardware emporium will sell bundles of thin bamboo
stakes... you can buy them on line but with shipping they'll likely cost
twice as much.

http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore...es-277616.aspx

I use the bamboo sticks and I buy them at the local dollar store (Dollar
Tree). A 25 pack of the two foot stakes costs $1.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

"You are never to old to play in the dirt"

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 27-03-2009, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 26, 2:10*pm, "Denis Mitchel" wrote:
I would like to find a source for inexpensive metal stakes to support my
gladiolas.

Can anyone direct me to a good source on line?

Thanks

I plant my glads in clumps and then put a tomato cage over them - the
cages are generally useless for tomatoes anyway and a lot less work
than tying all those glads to stakes.

Dora

Old 28-03-2009, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
On Mar 26, 2:10 pm, "Denis Mitchel" wrote:
I would like to find a source for inexpensive metal stakes to support my
gladiolas.

Can anyone direct me to a good source on line?

Thanks

I plant my glads in clumps and then put a tomato cage over them - the
cages are generally useless for tomatoes anyway and a lot less work
than tying all those glads to stakes.

Nowhere does it say that one must use one separate bamboo stake for each
separate bloom... a couple three stakes with some sort of green ribbon can
support many blooms, and will be essentially invisible... much more
aesthetically pleasing in a flower garden than grotesquely hidious torturous
looking tomato cages.. why would anyone equate beautification with an iron
maiden..

Old 29-03-2009, 06:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Denis Mitchel" wrote in message
I would like to find a source for inexpensive metal stakes to support my
gladiolas.

Can anyone direct me to a good source on line?

Thanks

Why use metal when the dark green and brown bamboo stakes last for years and
are quite cheap. I get them at Dollar General or BigLots for a few bucks a
package. I wish they'd breed a glad' that stood up by itself when in bloom.

Old 29-03-2009, 01:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

"D. Arlington" wrote in message

"Denis Mitchel" wrote in message
I would like to find a source for inexpensive metal stakes to support my
gladiolas.

Can anyone direct me to a good source on line?

Thanks

Why use metal when the dark green and brown bamboo stakes last for years
and are quite cheap. I get them at Dollar General or BigLots for a few
bucks a package. I wish they'd breed a glad' that stood up by itself when
in bloom.

There are shorter varietys (-24") as averse to the giants (36"-60"), but
perhaps some may think not as spectacular.

http://www.naturehills.com/search.aspx?q=gladiola

Old 29-03-2009, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 26, 2:10 pm, "Denis Mitchel" wrote:

I would like to find a source for inexpensive metal stakes to support my
gladiolas.

Can anyone direct me to a good source on line?

Thanks

I plant my glads in clumps and then put a tomato cage over them - the
cages are generally useless for tomatoes anyway and a lot less work
than tying all those glads to stakes.

Nowhere does it say that one must use one separate bamboo stake for each
separate bloom... a couple three stakes with some sort of green ribbon can
support many blooms, and will be essentially invisible... much more
aesthetically pleasing in a flower garden than grotesquely hidious torturous
looking tomato cages.. why would anyone equate beautification with an iron
maiden..

So I have kinky flowers? OK. I can live with that.

I also grow plants around the outside. You can hardly see the cages,
which are on the small side.
Dora
Old 29-03-2009, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
[...]

That's known as selective vision, you choose not to see, but be well assured
that others see them immediately. Wire cages are okay in the typical veggie
garden but are a detractant in a flower bed. Last few years I haven't been
replacing my worn out wire tomato cages, bamboo stakes and a ball of
inexpensive sisal twine work just as well. Bamboo stakes cost much less,
are far easier to storage, last a long time (several years, and by nipping
off the rotted end they're still utile), and being of natural plant material
are invisible amongst the plants unless one knows exactly where to look.
Bamboo is also readily available in various lengths and diameters, and
bamboo is always inexpensive... I can buy over a hundred quality bamboo
stakes for the price of one wire cage. Wire cages are the first thing one
sees, they stick out like a black thumb.

Old 29-03-2009, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 29, 10:05*am, "brooklyn1" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Well that's OK then, because I garden for my own pleasure, not other
people's.
Unlike you, obviously.
Dora

Old 29-03-2009, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message

[...]

Nothing wrong with that, I do a lot to please those I care about, unlike you
not everyone is totally self absorbed... when was the last time you pleased
anyone other than yourself, probably never. If you have sex like you garden
you never have sex... you're one of those gals I see in Lowes checkout with
Coppertop D cells in the super economy pack. LOL

Old 29-03-2009, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message

[...]

Coppertop D cells in the super economy pack. LOL- Hide quoted text -

So you work in the Lowes checkout then? So fulfilling.
Old 29-03-2009, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 29, 10:28*am, Bill wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
Well that's OK then, because I garden for my own pleasure, not other
people's.
Unlike you, obviously.
Dora

* I'm reminded of the guy who investigated the Challenger disaster. *
Richard Feyman. * He wrote a book *"What do you care what someone else
thinks". *My garden is a labor of love and is living art. *Every day it
is different if I pay attention. *Some call this mindful I call it
gardening. *I can't hire someone to do it for me as there are too many
nuances that bring it to life . *If outside and inside are the same then
litter must be picked up and plant life protected. * *Plus

* *Small plant showed yesterday
One I split apart now three
Cost nothing just desire

* More seems the issue
Then It is time to give away

Thank you for bringing this to a higher level Bill. Inner growth
through attention to detail. I can get that - a good thought.
Dora

[IMG] code is On

tomato stakes Allview Gardening 21 10-07-2003 06:09 PM
Treated wood for stakes... Nonya North Carolina 2 02-06-2003 10:56 PM
Tomato cages or stakes? Wayfarer Texas 6 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Tomato cages or stakes? Wayfarer Texas 6 11-03-2003 04:57 PM
Tomato cages or stakes? Wayfarer Texas 0 09-03-2003 01:39 AM