Old 04-06-2009, 11:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Billy - organic vs non-organic info needed

Billy

Can you help me out. You have previously posted info about the nutritional
value of various crops grown organically & argo-farmingly. Are you able to
provide some urls to that information?

thanks.

rob

Old 04-06-2009, 04:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

Billy

Can you help me out. You have previously posted info about the nutritional
value of various crops grown organically & argo-farmingly. Are you able to
provide some urls to that information?

thanks.

rob

Here is a start.

Bill

http://www.organicauthority.com/orga...articles/decli
ning-nutritional-value-of-produce-due-to-high-yield-selective-seed-breedi
ng.html

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

No foreign intervention unless tyranny at home.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

Billy

Can you help me out. You have previously posted info about the nutritional
value of various crops grown organically & argo-farmingly. Are you able to
provide some urls to that information?

thanks.

rob

For the most part, I have been reflecting what I've read from Michal
Pollans two books

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan
http://www.amazon.com/Omnivores-Dile...ls/dp/01430385
83/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815576&sr=1-1

In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto
by Michael Pollan
http://www.amazon.com/Defense-Food-E...114964/ref=sr_
1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238974366&sr=1-1

and most recently Dr. Joe Schwarcz from articles that he sent to us.
If you didn't read those here, email me at and
I'll send them to you. Dr. Joe isn't a supporter of organic farming
because (he claims) that it can't feed our over populated world (and
soon no type of farming will be able to). But that is another story that
explores crop rotation, cover crops, eating seasonal produce, closing
CAFOs, U.S. Farm Subsidy Programs, and not using crop land to grow
ethanol.

I "googled": nutritional comparison of fruits and vegetables, organic
and non-organic; and this, in part, is what I got.

http://www.ioia.net/images/pdf/orgvalue.pdf

http://www.ota.com/organic/benefits/nutrition.html

http://www.actahort.org/members/show...nrarnr=614_100

http://www.twnside.org.sg/title2/susagri/susagri018.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11327522

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/86972.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_food#cite_note-53

http://repositories.cdlib.org/cgi/vi...049&context=uc
labiolchem/nutritionnoteworthy

Good reading.
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2TzBE0lp4

Old 04-06-2009, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

http://www.organicauthority.com/orga...articles/decli
ning-nutritional-value-of-produce-due-to-high-yield-selective-seed-breedi
ng.html

Bill always seems to do this more elegantly than I do. He is the carrot
to my stick I'm afraid. Thanks Bill ;O)

In the above article it states: "An amazing two-thirds (2/3) of American
calories, on average come from depleted, man-made sources such as
purified sugars, added fats and oils, white flour, white rice, and
distilled liquor,˛ Davis said. łAll of these items have suffered much
deeper and broader nutrient losses than the nutrient declines we and
others report in vegetables and fruits.˛

Processed foods are produced from our subsidized commodity crops, i.e.
corn, soy beans, and wheat. These commodity crops produce 150% of the
needed caloric intake for each man, woman, and child in the United
States. What do we do with it? In 2004, the food, beverage, candy, and
restaurant advertising expenditures weighed in at $11.26 billion, versus
$9.55 million to promote healthful eating. Remember that these foods are
mostly highly processed white flour, soy bean oil, and corn syrup. If
they put any nutrients back in to the product, it is called "enriched".

If we had single-payer national health care, there would be pressure on
the U.S. Farm Bill to promote healthier foods, and reduce the toxics in
our environment in order to lower health costs. Mandating health care
just makes the insurance companies rich. We need universal, single
payer, health care. Just like Congress has. Just like the President has.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

Billy

Can you help me out. You have previously posted info about the nutritional
value of various crops grown organically & argo-farmingly. Are you able to
provide some urls to that information?

thanks.

rob

http://www.nasaa.com.au/

http://www.maf.govt.nz/mafnet/rural-...ic-production/

hth,

Kate

Old 05-06-2009, 10:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

Billy

Can you help me out. You have previously posted info about the
nutritional
value of various crops grown organically & argo-farmingly. Are you able
provide some urls to that information?

thanks.

rob

Here is a start.

Bill

http://www.organicauthority.com/orga...articles/decli
ning-nutritional-value-of-produce-due-to-high-yield-selective-seed-breedi
ng.html

eh, thats the stuff I was looking for. Thanks Bill and co.

rob

Old 05-06-2009, 10:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

"George.com" wrote:

Billy

Can you help me out. You have previously posted info about the
nutritional
value of various crops grown organically & argo-farmingly. Are you able
provide some urls to that information?

thanks.

rob

Here is a start.

Bill

http://www.organicauthority.com/orga...articles/decli
ning-nutritional-value-of-produce-due-to-high-yield-selective-seed-breedi
ng.html

eh, thats the stuff I was looking for. Thanks Bill and co.

rob

by the way

rob

Two women were playing golf. One teed off and watched in horror as her
ball headed directly toward a foursome of men playing the next hole.
The ball hit one of the men. He immediately clasped his hands together
at his groin, fell to thegroundandproceeded to roll around in agony.
The woman rushed down to the man, and immediately began to apologize.
'Please allow me to help. I'm a Physical Therapist and I know I could
relieve your pain if you'd allow me, she told him.

'Oh, no, I'll be all right. I'll be fine in a few minutes,' the man
replied. He was in obvious agony, lying in the fetal position, still
clasping his hands there at his groin. At her persistence, however, he
finally allowed her to help. She gently took his hands away and laid
them to the side, loosened his pants and put her hands inside. She
administered tender and artful massage for several long moments and
asked, 'How does that feel'?

Feels great, he replied; but I still think my thumb's broken!