GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   10 10 10 fertilizer smells like ammonia - can I use it? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/184835-10-10-10-fertilizer-smells-like-ammonia-can-i-use.html)

brassplyer 16-06-2009 07:11 PM

10 10 10 fertilizer smells like ammonia - can I use it?

I have a bag of 10 10 10 fertilizer that's been sitting a while and
now it smells like ammonia. Is it still usable?

Thanks

Jim[_19_] 16-06-2009 07:24 PM

brassplyer wrote:

I have a bag of 10 10 10 fertilizer that's been sitting a while and
now it smells like ammonia. Is it still usable?

Thanks

the ammonium nitrate has begun to break down. you can use it, but don't
expect the same result as you'd be getting from a fresh bag.

Phisherman[_3_] 16-06-2009 09:09 PM

10 10 10 fertilizer smells like ammonia - can I use it?

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:11:31 -0700 (PDT), brassplyer
wrote:

I have a bag of 10 10 10 fertilizer that's been sitting a while and
now it smells like ammonia. Is it still usable?

Thanks

Yes. Best to keep dry fertilizers up off the floor and dry. I put
excess fertilizer in recycled plastic bottles labeled with a Sharpie.
Unlike a bag, the bottles keep the contents dry.