GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Question on moving bamboo plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/185108-question-moving-bamboo-plant.html)

Bill who putters 24-06-2009 03:14 PM

Question on moving bamboo plant

In article ,
geronimo wrote:

I have a bamboo plant that is pretty big now, about 8 ft. tall. I am
moving soon, would like to move it to new location. If I cut it down
to a couple of ft. tall and dig it up, put in a big pot (letting it
re-establish itself in it) for the move, will it survive? Or should I
leave it uncut, wrap the root ball in something for the move?

I cut them down to about 3 feet and move right away to new home. This
with black bamboo. Keep wet. Placing in a pot is new to me so no
comment.

Bill whose Bamboo is about 50 foot longish 15 foot widish. All one
plant I guess you know.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria

http://www.youtube.com/usnationalarchives

beecrofter[_2_] 24-06-2009 08:07 PM

On Jun 24, 10:55*am, geronimo wrote:
I have a bamboo plant that is pretty big now, about 8 ft. tall. I am
moving soon, would like to move it to new location. If I cut it down
to a couple of ft. tall and dig it up, put in a big pot (letting it
re-establish itself in it) for the move, will it survive? Or should I
leave it uncut, wrap the root ball in something for the move?

You can preserve the height by selective removal of the branches or
individual leaves in order to bring the top into balance with the root
mass.
As for digging, you can ball and burlap the rootmass. And then set the
thing in a little more shade than it was growing in until the move.

Frank 25-06-2009 03:36 AM

Question on moving bamboo plant

On Jun 24, 10:55*am, geronimo wrote:
I have a bamboo plant that is pretty big now, about 8 ft. tall. I am
moving soon, would like to move it to new location. If I cut it down
to a couple of ft. tall and dig it up, put in a big pot (letting it
re-establish itself in it) for the move, will it survive? Or should I
leave it uncut, wrap the root ball in something for the move?

Small, whippy culms transplant easier, don't need so
many roots to feed the rest of the plant. Cut the runner
on either side and repot the culm in peat until it recovers,
then plant it in its permanent new home.