Old 25-06-2009, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Clivia - shade or part-shade?

Anybody in So.Calif coastal:

Do you have your clivia in total shade, part shade, or?

My neighbor gave me some plants years ago, and I have divided and
replanted them numerous times. Some are in part shade, some in
fairly heavy shade, but some get quite a bit of sun. They actually do
pretty well.

Just curious what others' experiences have been.

Tx

Persephone
Old 28-06-2009, 01:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 25, 12:57*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
Anybody in So.Calif coastal:

Do you have your clivia in total shade, part shade, or?

My neighbor gave me some plants years ago, and I have divided and
replanted them numerous times. *Some are in part shade, some in
fairly heavy shade, but some get quite a bit of sun. *They actually do
pretty well.

Just curious what others' experiences have been.

Tx

Persephone

Boo-hoo - replying to myself. Any clivia experience out there
in varied sun-shade situations?

TIA

Pers.
Old 29-06-2009, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Here in the SF Bay Area, I've found that clivia does best in open shade with
as much light as possible. Too much sun and the plant starts to yellow and
not do well. Watch out for snails.

Albert

:

Old 31-03-2015, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

I've got the same question and I'm having trouble finding answers. I found a nice Clivia growing in a shade house locally about a mile inland from the coast. In Dana Point I see some growing in strong light on east walls of houses in shade that I'd suggest was "partial"... that is no direct sun. But I've also seen some which bloomed profusely at the NE corder of a gate/wall with what seems pretty strong exposure to sun until at least noon. In this array, it seems that those in the sun bloom a week or two earlier than those in the fuller shade (though strong light).
Old 26-04-2015, 04:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 3:05:28 PM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
On 3/31/2015 12:03 PM, wrote:
I've got the same question and I'm having trouble finding answers. I found a nice Clivia growing in a shade house locally about a mile inland from the coast. In Dana Point I see some growing in strong light on east walls of houses in shade that I'd suggest was "partial"... that is no direct sun. But I've also seen some which bloomed profusely at the NE corder of a gate/wall with what seems pretty strong exposure to sun until at least noon. In this array, it seems that those in the sun bloom a week or two earlier than those in the fuller shade (though strong light).

Clivia does best in complete shade with strong indirect light.

I am reluctant to pull up so many plants, but a few seasons have convinced me that the strong So.Cal. light makes the Clivia "burn" and fade sooner than those in part shade.

I got a few plants originally as gift from a neighbor, now departed. As anyone who as grown Clivia knows, you can divide and divide and divide over time. I don't have much available shade space, so not sure what to do. Live with quickly-deteriorated blooms for the sake of beautiful "strap-like" foliage the rest of the year...Sigh...

HB