Old 01-07-2009, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Scotts Weed Control Fertilizer Killed Our Lawn!! HELP!!!

Every year, we try to do the cycle of Scotts Fertilizers on our lawn (
Crabgrass Fertilizer, Weed Control Fertilizer, Summerguard Fertilizer,
Regular Fertilizer, and Winterguard Fertilizer), and usually have no
problems.

We usually do the "Scotts Weed Control" one around Memorial Day weekend
in May, but this year my husband didn't get around doing it until a few
days ago.

Because its so late into June, we were going to just skip the "Weed
Control", and just do the "Summerguard", but we opted to still do the
"Weed Control", because our lawn was OVERRUN by clovers this year.

We usually have clover throughout the yard every year, but this year was
the WORST, and we have never seen it this bad!!!! On one side of our
house, where we use to have nice grass, the clover spread like wild, and
the whole side of the house was just one big field of clover. When you
walked on the side of the house, you weren't walking on grass, you were
walking on pure clover.

But anyway, we watered the grass to get it nice and wet ( so that the
fertilizer sticks to the weeds ), just like the bag instructs, and we
set our "drop spreader" to the 5 1/2 setting like the bag says, and
applied the fertilizer.

Well, the next morning when we went to the window, we were horrified, as
we saw that not only was the clover dead, but all our beautiful Green
grass is now a Yellow eyesore!!!!!

The clover started to turn Brown, and slowly die off, but the grass was
all Yellow the next morning!!! Now all the neighbors have nice Green
lawns, and our lawn is all Yellow.

So, did the Scotts "Weed Control" kill the lawn?? So far, we have gotten
two different opinions.

We talked to a neighbor, and he told us that "clover" is high in
Nitrogen, and that the Nitrogen from the clover, and the Nitrogen from
the fertilizer was probably to much for the grass, and it just killed
everything.

The sales guy we talked to at our local hardware store, said that we
probably put down the Scotts "Weed Control" to late in the season, and
that the high temperatures ( mid 80's in our area ), caused the "Weed
Control" to burn the lawn. According to him, he said that "Weed Control"
is suppose to be applied BEFORE June 1st???

If this is true, then why do they still have it on the shelfs!?

So is there any truth to the above two explanations?? And now the
important thing, how do we fix/repair the lawn??? According to the
"Scotts" bag, you CAN'T put down new grass seed until 4 weeks after
applying the "Weed Control"???

What if we were to spread around some new topsoil ( Topdressing I think
they call it? ) first, and then reseed?? Or do we have to wait the full
4 weeks???

We have watered the lawn "deeply" for the past couple of days, but that
didn't really help. The grass is still all Yellow.

Any help and or suggestions about what to do now would greatly be
appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2009, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 1, 11:42*am, (MICHELLE H.) wrote:
[...]

It happened to our neighbors for the last 2 years. I think it was
trugreen came and did their lawn in the middle of july. The next thing
you know the grass is dead. They came back and tried to tell them it
was grubbs but grubbs don't act overnight. I think the guy at the
hardware store is partly true and your neighbor is also. A lot of
little things that added together caused the problem. I would try
putting some topsoil in a small spot and see how it takes to reseeding
and go from there. Otherwise it will be 4 weeks or more depending ont
he weather.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

(MICHELLE H.) wrote in
:

Every year, we try to do the cycle of Scotts Fertilizers on our
lawn ( Crabgrass Fertilizer, Weed Control Fertilizer,
Summerguard Fertilizer, Regular Fertilizer, and Winterguard
Fertilizer), and usually have no problems.

lovely. a chemical dependant unnatural lawn...

Because its so late into June, we were going to just skip the
"Weed Control", and just do the "Summerguard", but we opted to
still do the "Weed Control", because our lawn was OVERRUN by
clovers this year.

did you know that until the mid-1950s, when the chemical companies
developed broad leaf weed killers, clover was considered the *most*
desirable lawn? not grass. clover.
unfortunately, the new weed killers killed clover, so the chemical
companies started an ad campaign telling everyone that clover was
an "undesirable weed" and in order to have a pretty green lawn,
everyone should buy their poisons. it was a good ad campaign, at
least for the chemical companies. not so good for the birds, or
insects or pets or children that played on the poison lawns... but
they were pretty, right? so what if you can use them.

We usually have clover throughout the yard every year, but this
year was the WORST, and we have never seen it this bad!!!! On
one side of our house, where we use to have nice grass, the
clover spread like wild, and the whole side of the house was
just one big field of clover. When you walked on the side of the
house, you weren't walking on grass, you were walking on pure
clover.

aw, what a pity...
i am happy to see clover. it means my yard is healthy.

But anyway, we watered the grass to get it nice and wet ( so
that the fertilizer sticks to the weeds ), just like the bag
instructs, and we set our "drop spreader" to the 5 1/2 setting
like the bag says, and applied the fertilizer.

yeah, but you didn't read the part about temperature, did you?

The clover started to turn Brown, and slowly die off, but the
grass was all Yellow the next morning!!! Now all the neighbors
have nice Green lawns, and our lawn is all Yellow.

see my tiny violin?
i bet all that grass you killed will be overrun with weeds now,
and not of the desirable clover either.

So, did the Scotts "Weed Control" kill the lawn??

no, you did. you didn't read the instructions.

So is there any truth to the above two explanations?? And now
the important thing, how do we fix/repair the lawn??? According
to the "Scotts" bag, you CAN'T put down new grass seed until 4
weeks after applying the "Weed Control"???

well, you could, but it won't grow. just leave it until fall &
reseed then. a yellow lawn is really a small price to pay for NOT
FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS.
you might even consider seeding it with clover. think of the time
& money you would save...

What if we were to spread around some new topsoil ( Topdressing
I think they call it? ) first, and then reseed?? Or do we have
to wait the full 4 weeks???

topdressing isn't going to help. bringing in 3-4 *inches* of new
topsoil might let you reseed sooner, but reseeding this time of
year is going to gain you mostly weeds anyway.

We have watered the lawn "deeply" for the past couple of days,
but that didn't really help. The grass is still all Yellow.

yup... and by "deeply", how many inches of water? you are probably
just compounding the stress of poisoning it by drowning the
remainder.

Any help and or suggestions about what to do now would greatly
be appreciated!!!

neh, i bet my suggestions aren't at all appreciated.
my lawn is nicely green. it's mostly clover & strawberries... i
don't have to mow it much, pamper it, poison it, or water it. i
don't have to worry about my child or pets being poisoned by
playing on it. i'm not a slave to it.
lee
Old 01-07-2009, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On the back of the bag, they have a little "calender" thing for when to
put down fertilizer, and for the Scotts "Weed Control, it says
April-June. So we figured that this meant ALL of June, as it doesn't say
a specific June date.

The monthly calender schedule reads as follows:

1) Early Spring: February - April

"To prevent crabgrass":

Scotts Turf Builder with Halts Crabgrass Preventer

2) Late Spring: April - June

"To kill weeds":

Scotts Turf Builder with Plus 2 Weed Control

3) Summer: June - August

"To kill bugs":

Scotts Turf Builder with SummerGuard

4) Early Fall: August - September

"For Fall root growth":

Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Fertilizer

5) Late Fall: October - November

"For a thicker greener lawn now, and next spring":

Scotts Turf Builder Winterizer

Also, just so you know, on the back of the Scotts "Weed Control" bag, it
says "Do not apply if temperatures are below 60 or ABOVE 90". When my
husband applied it last week, it was like between 82 and 84 degrees out,
plus it rained the next afternoon. So we followed all the directions
EXACT to the "T", but the next morning when we woke up, all the grass
was Yellow, less than 24 hours after putting down the Scotts "Weed
Control".

Old 02-07-2009, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

We try to keep the lawn the lawn as "natural" as possible, as last year
we ONLY did the Scotts "Weed Control", as we had a problem with
Dandelions EVERYWHERE throughout the yard. Not like 1 or 2 Dandelions,
but hundreds!!!

This year, there was hardly any Dandelions at all, just TONS of clover
growing everywhere at a rapid rate. Our whole side yard, was almost
nothing but pure clover.

2 years ago, we only used the Scotts "Weed Control" for the Dandelions,
and the "SummerGuard", to kill the fleas being brought into the yard by
chipmunks and squirrels constantly running through our yard.

Also, yes, the grass was wet when my husband applied the "Weed Control",
because the directions on the bag say that "the grass should be wet so
that the fertilizer particles can stick to the weeds".

My husband uses a "Scotts Accu-Green 1000 Drop Spreader", and its about
10 - 12 years old, so could it be possible that the spreader is
defective, and too much fertilizer came out???

Old 02-07-2009, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
(MICHELLE H.) wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a good argument for organic. Scott, Monsanto, Dow, they
aren't your friends. I, too, remember people being proud of their clover
lawns.
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://www.democracynow.org/2009/7/1/headlines#4
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn
Old 02-07-2009, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

MICHELLE H. wrote:
Every year, we try to do the cycle of Scotts Fertilizers on our lawn (
Crabgrass Fertilizer, Weed Control Fertilizer, Summerguard Fertilizer,
Regular Fertilizer, and Winterguard Fertilizer), and usually have no
problems.

With that regime I am amazed anything grows.

We usually do the "Scotts Weed Control" one around Memorial Day
weekend in May, but this year my husband didn't get around doing it
until a few days ago.

Because its so late into June, we were going to just skip the "Weed
Control", and just do the "Summerguard", but we opted to still do the
"Weed Control", because our lawn was OVERRUN by clovers this year.

Tell me it isn't so!

We usually have clover throughout the yard every year, but this year
was the WORST, and we have never seen it this bad!!!! On one side of
our house, where we use to have nice grass, the clover spread like
wild, and the whole side of the house was just one big field of
clover. When you walked on the side of the house, you weren't walking
on grass, you were walking on pure clover.

What is so wrong with clover? It's a ground cover that will sometimes grow
when grass won't. Who told you that clover is bad?

But anyway, we watered the grass to get it nice and wet ( so that the
fertilizer sticks to the weeds ), just like the bag instructs, and we
set our "drop spreader" to the 5 1/2 setting like the bag says, and
applied the fertilizer.

Why should the fertiliser stick to the weeds, what would that do?

Well, the next morning when we went to the window, we were horrified,
as we saw that not only was the clover dead, but all our beautiful
Green grass is now a Yellow eyesore!!!!!

Well that's the beginning of the end of your reputation. To avoid eternal
shame you should act overnight before too many people notice.

The clover started to turn Brown, and slowly die off, but the grass
was all Yellow the next morning!!! Now all the neighbors have nice
Green lawns, and our lawn is all Yellow.

So, did the Scotts "Weed Control" kill the lawn?? So far, we have
gotten two different opinions.

We talked to a neighbor, and he told us that "clover" is high in
Nitrogen, and that the Nitrogen from the clover, and the Nitrogen from
the fertilizer was probably to much for the grass, and it just killed
everything.

Facts partly true conclusion not.

The sales guy we talked to at our local hardware store, said that we
probably put down the Scotts "Weed Control" to late in the season, and
that the high temperatures ( mid 80's in our area ), caused the "Weed
Control" to burn the lawn. According to him, he said that "Weed
Control" is suppose to be applied BEFORE June 1st???

More likely

If this is true, then why do they still have it on the shelfs!?

They expect people to read the instructions and to think, don't ask me why.
It would be better if such chemicals were under The Controlled Substances
Act which would force responsible conduct on the vendors, lobby your local
politicians.

So is there any truth to the above two explanations?? And now the
important thing, how do we fix/repair the lawn??? According to the
"Scotts" bag, you CAN'T put down new grass seed until 4 weeks after
applying the "Weed Control"???

You could in fact sod over it but there is a better solution - see below.

What if we were to spread around some new topsoil ( Topdressing I
think they call it? ) first, and then reseed?? Or do we have to wait
the full 4 weeks???

Fertiliser burn on the grass will do the same to shoots on seedlings only
quicker.

We have watered the lawn "deeply" for the past couple of days, but
that didn't really help. The grass is still all Yellow.

Any help and or suggestions about what to do now would greatly be
appreciated!!!

Choose between concrete, astroturf and pavers. Astroturf encourages
frollicking which brings on carpet burn for the unwary, something that
clearly says "Don't frollic" would be better in your case. I would go for
the concrete as you might get living organisms in the cracks between the
pavers. Your karma is already in bad shape and won't stand any more
genocide.

David

Old 02-07-2009, 02:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

(MICHELLE H.) wrote in
:

We try to keep the lawn the lawn as "natural" as possible, as
last year we ONLY did the Scotts "Weed Control", as we had a
problem with Dandelions EVERYWHERE throughout the yard. Not like
1 or 2 Dandelions, but hundreds!!!

This year, there was hardly any Dandelions at all, just TONS of
clover growing everywhere at a rapid rate. Our whole side yard,
was almost nothing but pure clover.

yeah, i have lots of dandelions. they're delicious in the spring, &
the yellow flowers are so cheery. makes a nice wine too.
i also have plaintain, both broad & narrow leaf. the tortoises are
particularly fond of those (as are the goats). i rather like the
plaintain growing along the garden fence. it's choked out the grass
that used to runner spread into the veggies. hate that grass. of
course, plaintain grows best in compressed soil...
see, a "natural" lawn in my area isn't likely to have much actual
grass in it. grass, at least pretty, fine leaved grass, isn't really
a native plant. so, most of what i have is what Scott's would call
"broad leafed weeds". i could waste hundreds of dollars on weed
control, grass fertilizer, etc, but why? to grow something that isn't
natural? seems pretty silly to me.
also, fescues, which are a large proportion of lawn grasses, tend to
be host to a fungus that is extremely toxic to livestock. might not
seem like a problem in suburbia, but grasses seed & birds transport
those seeds....
lee
Old 02-07-2009, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

enigma wrote:
(MICHELLE H.) wrote in
:

Every year, we try to do the cycle of Scotts Fertilizers on our
lawn ( Crabgrass Fertilizer, Weed Control Fertilizer,
Summerguard Fertilizer, Regular Fertilizer, and Winterguard
Fertilizer), and usually have no problems.

lovely. a chemical dependant unnatural lawn...

Because its so late into June, we were going to just skip the
"Weed Control", and just do the "Summerguard", but we opted to
still do the "Weed Control", because our lawn was OVERRUN by
clovers this year.

did you know that until the mid-1950s, when the chemical companies
developed broad leaf weed killers, clover was considered the *most*
desirable lawn? not grass. clover.

Nope.

I'm not a believer in grass and as a city dweller on a small shady lot
I can get away with that.

I wonder what the opinion of clover is in the suburbs? If you mow it
will it pass for grass? I'm thinking of my brother who lives in a fussy
suburb. It's a shame as the backyard is a glacial valley (don't fall).
The neighborhood still had farms when Dad built the house in the 40's.

Jeff

Old 02-07-2009, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

I don't know the actual square feet of the lawn, but do know that it is
0.11 acres, and we used 2 full bags of 5,000 square foot Scotts "Weed
Control" fertilizer.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Scotts Weed Control Fertilizer Killed Our Lawn!!Measurements....

The entire yard/house is on 0.11 acres. The property measurements for
our entire lot/yard is 50 feet x 100 feet. We have 50 feet in front. 50
feet in back, and 100 feet on the sides of our property.

So thats it, its official, our Scotts Drop Spreader must have
malfunctioned, and even though it was set at 5.5, it must have came out
at like a 10 or 11!?

Well, I guess its going straight to the curb for trash pickup in a few
days, and we have to invest in a new one!!!

Everyone says to invest in a "rotary type" spreader, but is a "rotary
spreader" really that good for our SMALL lawn??? I always thought that
drop spreaders were good for small lawns, and rotary spreaders are
better for bigger lawns???

Old 02-07-2009, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"MICHELLE H." wrote in message

So thats it, its official, our Scotts Drop Spreader must have
malfunctioned, and even though it was set at 5.5, it must have came out
at like a 10 or 11!?

It's the fault of bag instructions, it's the fault of the calendar, it's the
fault of the spreader, it's the fault of pretty much everything and everyone
else but your own? Mostly it's the fault of having your head buried so far
up the deep recesses of your ass that your brain has ceased to function. In
other words you are an irresponsible dumb ****.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

"enigma" wrote in message
(MICHELLE H.) wrote in
:

I don't know the actual square feet of the lawn, but do know
that it is 0.11 acres, and we used 2 full bags of 5,000 square
foot Scotts "Weed Control" fertilizer.

0.11 acres is 4791.6 square feet, so you over fertilized & killed
your grass. if each bag was for 5000 square feet, you've *really* got
a problem now! i seriously hope you don't live anywhere near a pond
or stream, or an aquafer...
don't they teach reading comprehension and basic math in school
anymore? i was lacking sympathy when you called clover a "weed", but
dumping double the amount of fertilizer/weed killer on an area is
egregarious stupidity! you should be reported to the EPA.
sheesh.
lee

Why do you need to be such a negativeity pinhead (don't bother to answer, I
already know you are an ignoranus). It's obvious that the 0.11 acres
(gleaned from a tax plat or survey) is a small city/surburban lot, and is
the entire lot (house, driveway, walkways, patio, bedding plants, etc., and
lawn), so there's probably no more than 2,500 sq ft of actual lawn, likely
less. Not everyone lives on rural property with acres of lawn. With many
subdivisions and village properties one has no choice but to maintain a
"standard" lawn, and if not the elected officials will and charge the
property owner. To me it appears that this person is a lawn newbie and is
attempting to learn, why else would he post here for help. When chemicals
are applied properly they do no environmental harm. In this case the OP has
applied more than four times the recommended amount and probably
underwatered. The lawn is damaged but not destroyed. Water generously
every day without applying any more chemicals until the lawn revives. And
then continue with the Scott program (which also includes proper mowing) but
I would recommend applying no more than 1/2 the recommended quantity of
chemicals and only increase the amounts as one observes and learns how that
particular piece of ground responds... using lawn chemicals is exactly like
adding salt to stew. There is much to learn about growing lawns but when
chemicals are applied intelligently there are no negative aspects
whatsoever. Many, like myself, who have acres of lawn would also like to
keep a golf course lawn for at least a portion, but for the expense. I live
within walking distance of four major golf courses that each maintains
hundreds of acres of pristine lawn, when chemicals are properly applied
there is no negative environmental impact... just because you are totally
ignorant about lawns (and most everything) doesn't mean everyone else is.