GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   My Raccoon Doesn't Seem To Like Antifreeze (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/185480-my-raccoon-doesnt-seem-like-antifreeze.html)

Chris[_14_] 09-07-2009 12:29 AM

My Raccoon Doesn't Seem To Like Antifreeze

On Jul 6, 9:02*am, Frank wrote:
Way Back Jack wrote:
In this State, you're not allowed to trap and transport racs. *Anyway,
one time in the past using a Haveaheart, the damn dumb cat got
trapped. * Another time, the rac was able to somehow escape! *Two
other times I was successful in trapping them and shot them with a
.22, but it was a bitch removing the corpses from the traps. *

So I marinated a 12 oz. can of cat food in a bowl of antifreeze. *Set
it out near where the rac has been doing his damage. *Next morning,
the ground at the site was wet with antifreeze, suggesting that he
dumped it, and quite a bit of the cat food remained in the bowl which
was tossed about 20 yds. away. *

Do you know whether ACDelco Dex-Cool antifreeze contains denatonium
which is an embittering agent? *The ingredients list doesn't mention
it though, so maybe this is simply a rac who doesn't have a sweet
tooth for antifreeze. *I can only hope that the meat portion that he
did eat contained enough antifreeze to prevent his destructive return.

You're not allowed to do it here either but you can trap and kill.
Drowning may be better than .22 and from what you say, you may need a
bigger Hav-a-hart as I've seen it happen that trap would not completely
close on raccoon and he could get out.

You're also taking risks with poison which is generally not allowed and
you could kill an animal like someones pet. *Ethylene glycol is really
not that toxic and it takes quite a bit to kill an animal. *A sip or two
will not do it.

Actually, we've been doing some research on ethylene glycol in my lab
and it's pretty nasty. Small quantities can cause liver and kidney
failure, along with permanent brain damage. A fast search on PubMed or
Medline will bring up dozens of articles, including some from
veterinary journals.

Chris

gardenplanters 23-07-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Way Back Jack[_8_] (Post 854741)
[...]

Hello,
Problem is you're too f'n stupid to use conventional
means and have resorted to inhumane means. Make yourself a sandwich and
pour some on it.You're not allowed to do it here either but you can trap and kill. Drowning may be better than .22

TexasTrill 29-12-2016 06:14 PM

My Raccoon Doesn't Seem To Like Antifreeze

replying to none, TexasTrill wrote:
Till yo ass has been attacked in your own home don't say shit peta bitch dogs
and cats have right but **** a racoon I agree with Jack and I have kids so
what's more important a filthy dangerous racoon or kids but your peta so I
know your answer

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ze-382552-.htm

Bob 04-05-2017 09:14 PM

My Raccoon Doesn't Seem To Like Antifreeze

replying to Way Back Jack, Bob wrote:
If it does contain the bittering agent or you suspect that it does, add
something to sweeten it, I have​ a coon that I have been hunting for a week,
won't go in a havahart trap, reaches in through the wire, digs under it,
flipped it over, I have staked it down with cement bricks on all sides,
covered​ it ECT, and still it gets the bait and doesn't spring the trap, I
have a garden and soon chickens that will be 20' from where it prowls, it got
into the trap 3 times yesterday 1 time while I was running a trip line to
catch it, sneaky ******. I didn't want to but seen no other choice, so I mixed
antifreeze with the bittering​ agent, brown sugar, powdered sugar, honey,
until it was like a paste then some milk, 3 slices of bread, 1 can cat food
and half a jar of peanut butter, note I used a lot of antifreeze, about four
cups worth, they say it only tskes a couple table spoons, but hey I wanted to
make sure, I put a bowl inside the cage trap with the blended mixture, a
closed it so no cat or other animals could get it only what has been getting
all the stuff in my would be compost pile and reaching in the trap, so this
morning bowl was completely empty, so I'd say it was a success. Hopefully this
battle will be over. Good luck to anyone that does the same, ohh and throw
away anything that the antifreeze touches of course

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ze-382552-.htm

gcs 07-05-2017 05:14 AM

My Raccoon Doesn't Seem To Like Antifreeze

replying to Way Back Jack, gcs wrote:
this is disgusting. raccoons are highly intelligent, sentient animals with
family structures. the onus is on all of you to proof your homes and
properties. so tired on the mad dash to pass on accountability to someone or
something else in this nation's society. look at yourself first. saddest bunch
of snowflakes ever who can't take responsibility for humane, preventive
measures (locks on cans like when camping). you encroached on them. not the
other way around.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ze-382552-.htm

Coonkiller 23-07-2017 11:44 PM

My Raccoon Doesn't Seem To Like Antifreeze

replying to Red Green, Coonkiller wrote:
You DID GOOD JACK!!! Red Green I hope you get Raccoons like I did that
destroyed $400.00 in bird feeders, tore up my back door screen, broke 4
hummingbird feeders in the $25-30 range EACH. I first live trapped them and
relocated. The Wild Life people said they will die anyway because they do nor
eat out of their own territory, I trapped and shot 3 in the head with a .22
and enjoyed every minuet of it. I hope I can get them to eat some antifreeze!
The wild life people won't come get them. The Sheriff office said do what you
have to do. So Red Green, I will send them to you to love and kiss and feed
and you can loose over $1,000.00 in your yard and let them run YOU out of your
own property.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ze-382552-.htm

tonydimnick 30-08-2017 03:25 PM

Raccoons are very intelligent and have great memories, which may make them wary of traps.

I normally try getting them acquainted with your trap by tying it open and leaving bait inside for a few days before setting it for a catch.

I havent tried antifreeze....

Capo 30-04-2019 01:44 PM

My Raccoon Doesn't Seem To Like Antifreeze

replying to Red Green, Capo wrote:
Lol

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ze-382552-.htm

Mike J[_2_] 08-06-2019 02:44 PM

My Raccoon Doesn't Seem To Like Antifreeze

replying to Red Green, Mike J wrote:
oh stfu its a giant rat you moron...kill it slow

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ze-382552-.htm

Mike J[_2_] 08-06-2019 02:44 PM

My Raccoon Doesn't Seem To Like Antifreeze

replying to none, Mike J wrote:
seriously..effing idiots... I'm dealing with a raccoon right now feeding it
answers I hope it suffers for what it's done to my house...

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ze-382552-.htm

Big Daddy D 26-07-2019 07:44 AM

My Raccoon Doesn't Seem To Like Antifreeze

replying to Red Green, Big Daddy D wrote:
You need culled. You are a piece of liberal trash. I wish more people would
poison raccoons.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ze-382552-.htm

rosh colman 11-08-2019 02:28 PM

My Raccoon Doesn't Seem To Like Antifreeze

🙌🏼100 msjs £58
👊🏼Xanax 100 for 80
😈tramadol 10 a strip
Quetiapine teva ! 60 taps £35