Old 06-07-2009, 02:42 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Default My Raccoon Doesn't Seem To Like Antifreeze

In this State, you're not allowed to trap and transport racs. Anyway,
one time in the past using a Haveaheart, the damn dumb cat got
trapped. Another time, the rac was able to somehow escape! Two
other times I was successful in trapping them and shot them with a
.22, but it was a bitch removing the corpses from the traps.

So I marinated a 12 oz. can of cat food in a bowl of antifreeze. Set
it out near where the rac has been doing his damage. Next morning,
the ground at the site was wet with antifreeze, suggesting that he
dumped it, and quite a bit of the cat food remained in the bowl which
was tossed about 20 yds. away.

Do you know whether ACDelco Dex-Cool antifreeze contains denatonium
which is an embittering agent? The ingredients list doesn't mention
it though, so maybe this is simply a rac who doesn't have a sweet
tooth for antifreeze. I can only hope that the meat portion that he
did eat contained enough antifreeze to prevent his destructive return.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:01 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

(Way Back Jack) wrote in news:4a51f114.4446250
@free.teranews.com:

[...]

Jack:

You're a Jack Ass. Problem is you're too f'n stupid to use conventional
means and have resorted to inhumane means. Make yourself a sandwich and
pour some on it. Then you'll know how it's working.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:02 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Way Back Jack wrote:
[...]

You're not allowed to do it here either but you can trap and kill.
Drowning may be better than .22 and from what you say, you may need a
bigger Hav-a-hart as I've seen it happen that trap would not completely
close on raccoon and he could get out.

You're also taking risks with poison which is generally not allowed and
you could kill an animal like someones pet. Ethylene glycol is really
not that toxic and it takes quite a bit to kill an animal. A sip or two
will not do it.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:15 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 09:02:58 -0400, Frank
wrote:

Ethylene glycol is really
not that toxic and it takes quite a bit to kill an animal. A sip or two
will not do it.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/Cliented/antifreeze.aspx

Antifreeze Poisoning

(...)

Very small amounts of antifreeze can be fatal. If a cat walks through
a puddle of antifreeze and then licks its paws, it can ingest enough
antifreeze to cause death. About five tablespoons can kill a medium
sized dog.

(...)
Old 06-07-2009, 03:26 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

wrote:

Way Back Jack wrote:
[...]

These traps were recommended for racs but these two creatures were
exceptionally large.

You're also taking risks with poison which is generally not allowed and
you could kill an animal like someones pet. Ethylene glycol is really
not that toxic and it takes quite a bit to kill an animal. A sip or two
will not do it.

Nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away; not sure if they have pets.
Poisoning is not something I relish but don't see any other option.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:34 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

wrote:
Way Back Jack wrote:
[...]

Poisoning is not something I relish but don't see any other option.- Hide quoted text -

"Anyway, one time in the past using a Haveaheart, the damn dumb
cat got trapped"

Is "the damn dumb cat" in danger of eating the poisoned food?
Old 06-07-2009, 03:44 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 06:34:36 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jul 6, 9:26=A0am, (Way Back Jack) wrote:
On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 09:02:58 -0400, Frank

wrote:
Way Back Jack wrote:
In this State, you're not allowed to trap and transport racs. =A0Anywa=

y,
one time in the past using a Haveaheart, the damn dumb cat got
trapped. =A0 Another time, the rac was able to somehow escape! =A0Two
other times I was successful in trapping them and shot them with a
.22, but it was a bitch removing the corpses from the traps. =A0

So I marinated a 12 oz. can of cat food in a bowl of antifreeze. =A0Se=

it out near where the rac has been doing his damage. =A0Next morning,
the ground at the site was wet with antifreeze, suggesting that he
dumped it, and quite a bit of the cat food remained in the bowl which
was tossed about 20 yds. away. =A0

Do you know whether ACDelco Dex-Cool antifreeze contains denatonium
which is an embittering agent? =A0The ingredients list doesn't mention
it though, so maybe this is simply a rac who doesn't have a sweet
tooth for antifreeze. =A0I can only hope that the meat portion that he
did eat contained enough antifreeze to prevent his destructive return.

You're not allowed to do it here either but you can trap and kill.
Drowning may be better than .22 and from what you say, you may need a
bigger Hav-a-hart as I've seen it happen that trap would not completely
close on raccoon and he could get out.

These traps were recommended for racs but these two creatures were
exceptionally large.

You're also taking risks with poison which is generally not allowed and
you could kill an animal like someones pet. =A0Ethylene glycol is really
not that toxic and it takes quite a bit to kill an animal. =A0A sip or t=

wo
will not do it.

Nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away; not sure if they have pets.
Poisoning is not something I relish but don't see any other option.- Hide=

quoted text -

"Anyway, one time in the past using a Haveaheart, the damn dumb
cat got trapped"

Is "the damn dumb cat" in danger of eating the poisoned food?

Kept him inside last night.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:09 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

I really doubt Dexcool will do the job. It's a different
chemical. Buy the cheap green stuff. You might have used too
much, also. Just dampen the catfood with the green
antifreeze.

D-Con, the mouse stuff, might also work. I've seen mouse
poison, designed to look like wheat or grain.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old 06-07-2009, 06:16 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

wrote:
*Ethylene glycol is really
not that toxic and it takes quite a bit to kill an animal. *A sip or two
will not do it.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/Cliented/antifreeze.aspx

Antifreeze Poisoning * *

(...)

Very small amounts of antifreeze can be fatal. *If a cat walks through
a puddle of antifreeze and then licks its paws, it can ingest enough
antifreeze to cause death. *About five tablespoons can kill a medium
sized dog.

(...)

There is species variability in toxicity but ethylene glycol is not a
strong toxin. It's sweetness makes it dangerous but as poisons go, 5
tablespoons is a lot of poison to kill a dog.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:24 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

wrote:
Way Back Jack wrote:
[...]

Don't know about current Hav-a-harts but mine will take a groundhog
but not a big raccoon for which they had a bigger trap. I watched the
raccoon I was after enter the trap, trip it, and both doors closed but
did not latch as he was too big. He must have tripped the trap a half
dozen times before I gave up.

If you must poison, I would suggest rat poison mixed with peanut
butter. You can't get in trouble trying to kill rats with poison.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:53 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

[...]

How about parking yourself outdoors in a nice chair at night with the .22
and capping the animal without trapping it first? Get yourself a Sure-Fire
light, designed for making targets think "What the f&&k??" and stopping just
long enough to get nailed.

www.surefire.com

They're ridiculously bright.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Way Back Jack wrote:
[...]

Taste it and see. Seriously, just touch a drop to your tongue and then
spit it out, it won't hurt you in that quantity.

Mouse bait would be more effective and less likely to poison someone's
pet, or use compound 1080 or 1081 and be careful.

Trapping and drowning would be more humane (and should be a dignified
way to go for a raccoon since they know how to drown dogs), and a lot
safer. HTH

Bob
Old 08-07-2009, 11:14 AM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

snip

In this State, you're not allowed to trap and transport racs. Anyway,
one time in the past using a Haveaheart, the damn dumb cat got
trapped.

snip

So I marinated a 12 oz. can of cat food in a bowl of antifreeze. Set
it out near where the rac has been doing his damage.

So one time a dumb cat got caught in the trap but you would never
expect the same cat to eat the poisoned food? How about the neighbors
dog?

If it is legal to poison then it is legal to trap.