GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bonnie Tomato blight (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/185618-bonnie-tomato-blight.html)

Phisherman[_3_] 11-07-2009 12:12 AM

Bonnie Tomato blight

Just heard an NPR story about tomato blight from Bonnie plants. Three
of my tomatoes have it, but another (from a nursery) was planted later
10 feet away that is growing very well and producing fruit.

John McGaw 11-07-2009 01:41 AM

Bonnie Tomato blight

Phisherman wrote:
Just heard an NPR story about tomato blight from Bonnie plants. Three
of my tomatoes have it, but another (from a nursery) was planted later
10 feet away that is growing very well and producing fruit.

I heard the same report. I only have two tomato plants, both from Bonnie,
but so far neither looks to have any problems other than the already-large
fruits are taking _far_ too long to ripen. I'd guess that a company as
large as Bonnie has at least a few dispersed growing facilities so having
the infection at all of them seems unlikely. What area are you in?

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

John McGaw 11-07-2009 03:43 PM

Bonnie Tomato blight

wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
Just heard an NPR story about tomato blight from Bonnie plants. Three
of my tomatoes have it, but another (from a nursery) was planted later
10 feet away that is growing very well and producing fruit.

I heard the same report. I only have two tomato plants, both from Bonnie,
but so far neither looks to have any problems other than the already-large
fruits are taking _far_ too long to ripen. I'd guess that a company as
large as Bonnie has at least a few dispersed growing facilities so having
the infection at all of them seems unlikely. What area are you in?

In the Secret City.

In the WWII secret city or is it even more secret than that?

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Paul M. Cook 11-07-2009 05:44 PM

Bonnie Tomato blight

"John McGaw" wrote in message
.. .
Phisherman wrote:
Just heard an NPR story about tomato blight from Bonnie plants. Three
of my tomatoes have it, but another (from a nursery) was planted later
10 feet away that is growing very well and producing fruit.

I heard the same report. I only have two tomato plants, both from Bonnie,
but so far neither looks to have any problems other than the already-large
fruits are taking _far_ too long to ripen. I'd guess that a company as
large as Bonnie has at least a few dispersed growing facilities so having
the infection at all of them seems unlikely. What area are you in?

All 3 of my varieties are Bonnie. No sign of disease but what is up with
the ripening of the fruit? I have all these yellow pears just sitting there
doing nothing at all. They seem to have just stopped ripening altogether.
My celebrities have stalled as well, no growth in any of the fruit in a
whole week.

Paul

Billy[_7_] 11-07-2009 06:38 PM

Bonnie Tomato blight

In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

All 3 of my varieties are Bonnie. No sign of disease but what is up with
the ripening of the fruit? I have all these yellow pears just sitting there
doing nothing at all. They seem to have just stopped ripening altogether.
My celebrities have stalled as well, no growth in any of the fruit in a
whole week.

Paul

What area are you in?
What have the temps been like? How often do you water? How often do you
fertilize (with what and how much)? Are they in the ground, or pots?
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn

Paul M. Cook 11-07-2009 06:45 PM

Bonnie Tomato blight

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

All 3 of my varieties are Bonnie. No sign of disease but what is up with
the ripening of the fruit? I have all these yellow pears just sitting
there
doing nothing at all. They seem to have just stopped ripening
altogether.
My celebrities have stalled as well, no growth in any of the fruit in a
whole week.

Paul

What area are you in?

SoCal, San Gabriel Valley.

What have the temps been like?

low 90's day, mid 60s night

How often do you water?

Every day. Sometimes twice a day. The leaves start to wilt without daily
watering.

How often do you
fertilize (with what and how much)? Are they in the ground, or pots?

I have been using an organic 5-5-5. So far, one feeding. Before that
Miracle Grow for general purpose use, once a week as directed. All plants
are in pots. They got a magnesium feeding today for the first time.

Paul

gardenplanters 23-07-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phisherman[_3_] (Post 855529)
Just heard an NPR story about tomato blight from Bonnie plants. Three
of my tomatoes have it, but another (from a nursery) was planted later
10 feet away that is growing very well and producing fruit.

Hi,
I only have many tomato plants,but so far neither looks to have any problems other than the already-large fruits are taking _far_ too long to ripen.