GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Forget Anti-Freeze; Forget D-Con; Try Fly Bait (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/185633-forget-anti-freeze%3B-forget-d-con%3B-try-fly-bait.html)

Way Back Jack[_7_] 11-07-2009 04:17 PM

Forget Anti-Freeze; Forget D-Con; Try Fly Bait

OK, the antifreeze is risky and the raccoons completely ignored the
treat of peanut butter and D-Con pellets. But I know that they made
their rounds last night because of the fresh piles of coon shit.

Google search reveals high praise for fly-bait, generic: methomyl,
brand: Golden Malrin. Poultry farmers swear by it. Mix a soft-drink
(not diet) with fly bait crystals in an aluminum pie plan. Raccoons
die within minutes, sometimes flopping into the plate. It *will* kill
anything that samples it, buy there are mixed opinions as to whether
cats or dogs would sample it. To be safe, I'll keep the damn dumb cat
inside or else locked-in on the screened-in deck.

Bobo 12-07-2009 02:54 AM

Forget Anti-Freeze; Forget D-Con; Try Fly Bait

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 14:17:57 GMT, (Way Back Jack)
wrote:

OK, the antifreeze is risky and the raccoons completely ignored the
treat of peanut butter and D-Con pellets. But I know that they made
their rounds last night because of the fresh piles of coon shit.

Google search reveals high praise for fly-bait, generic: methomyl,
brand: Golden Malrin. Poultry farmers swear by it. Mix a soft-drink
(not diet) with fly bait crystals in an aluminum pie plan. Raccoons
die within minutes, sometimes flopping into the plate. It *will* kill
anything that samples it, buy there are mixed opinions as to whether
cats or dogs would sample it. To be safe, I'll keep the damn dumb cat
inside or else locked-in on the screened-in deck.

Do groundhogs drink pop?

Way Back Jack[_9_] 12-07-2009 03:04 AM

wrote:

OK, the antifreeze is risky and the raccoons completely ignored the
treat of peanut butter and D-Con pellets. But I know that they made
their rounds last night because of the fresh piles of coon shit.

Google search reveals high praise for fly-bait, generic: methomyl,
brand: Golden Malrin. Poultry farmers swear by it. Mix a soft-drink
(not diet) with fly bait crystals in an aluminum pie plan. Raccoons
die within minutes, sometimes flopping into the plate. It *will* kill
anything that samples it, buy there are mixed opinions as to whether
cats or dogs would sample it. To be safe, I'll keep the damn dumb cat
inside or else locked-in on the screened-in deck.

Do groundhogs drink pop?

Bloggers say that it kills groundhogs and opossums.

Billy[_7_] 12-07-2009 07:35 AM

Forget Anti-Freeze; Forget D-Con; Try Fly Bait

In article ,
(Way Back Jack) wrote:

Do groundhogs drink pop?

Bloggers say that it kills groundhogs and opossums.

and anything else that drinks it, eventually.
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn

gardenplanters 23-07-2009 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Way Back Jack[_9_] (Post 855672)
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 20:54:35 -0400, Bobo wrote:

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 14:17:57 GMT,
(Way Back Jack)
wrote:

OK, the antifreeze is risky and the raccoons completely ignored the
treat of peanut butter and D-Con pellets. But I know that they made
their rounds last night because of the fresh piles of coon shit.

Google search reveals high praise for fly-bait, generic: methomyl,
brand: Golden Malrin. Poultry farmers swear by it. Mix a soft-drink
(not diet) with fly bait crystals in an aluminum pie plan. Raccoons
die within minutes, sometimes flopping into the plate. It *will* kill
anything that samples it, buy there are mixed opinions as to whether
cats or dogs would sample it. To be safe, I'll keep the damn dumb cat
inside or else locked-in on the screened-in deck.

Do groundhogs drink pop?

Bloggers say that it kills groundhogs and opossums.

Hello Way Back Jack[_9_],
Do groundhogs drink pop? Bloggers say that it kills groundhogs and opossums.

MamaMel 17-09-2016 05:14 AM

Forget Anti-Freeze; Forget D-Con; Try Fly Bait

replying to Way Back Jack, MamaMel wrote:
Did you try the Golden Malrin with soda mix and did it work? I have a colony
of groundhogs living under my shed/garden and destroying my veggies and yard!
I've put out bowl of apple cider mixed with antifreeze- don't know yet if it's
working...too soon to tell.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...it-684969-.htm

Timely Dude 17-09-2016 05:14 PM

Forget Anti-Freeze; Forget D-Con; Try Fly Bait

replying to MamaMel, Timely Dude wrote:
Wait seven years like Way Back Jack did and you won't have any groundhogs
either. I don't that they're that long lived.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...it-903713-.htm

professor 12-06-2019 11:14 PM

Forget Anti-Freeze; Forget D-Con; Try Fly Bait

replying to Way Back Jack, professor wrote:
What about skunks

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-684969-.htm