GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Simple Arbor Designs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/185667-simple-arbor-designs.html)

W[_2_] 12-07-2009 10:22 PM

Simple Arbor Designs

I am looking for an extremely simple design for an arbor shade for various
points around a house. One idea I had was to put up a single pole at each
end with a cross beam, and then put supporting beams at the far ends of each
crossbeam to the other pole's crossbeam. Then I could roll over that
structure any kind of shading, maybe using some very simple wood beams
attached to each other by rope. Does any vendor sell this kind of
structure as a kit / system?

Bill who putters 12-07-2009 11:32 PM

Simple Arbor Designs

In article ,
"W" wrote:

I am looking for an extremely simple design for an arbor shade for various
points around a house. One idea I had was to put up a single pole at each
end with a cross beam, and then put supporting beams at the far ends of each
crossbeam to the other pole's crossbeam. Then I could roll over that
structure any kind of shading, maybe using some very simple wood beams
attached to each other by rope. Does any vendor sell this kind of
structure as a kit / system?

Some thing to look at.

http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Touch...6611/ref=sr_1_
2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247437773&sr=1-2

Be sure to peruse the reviews.

Bill

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://prototype.nytimes.com/gst/articleSkimmer/

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 13-07-2009 12:47 AM

Simple Arbor Designs

W wrote:
I am looking for an extremely simple design for an arbor shade for
various points around a house. One idea I had was to put up a
single pole at each end with a cross beam, and then put supporting
beams at the far ends of each crossbeam to the other pole's
crossbeam. Then I could roll over that structure any kind of
shading, maybe using some very simple wood beams attached to each
other by rope. Does any vendor sell this kind of structure as a
kit / system?

Even if they don't have to carry much weight shade structures can carry
quite a lot of sail area, something people tend to forget. You don't want
something that will blow down in the first high wind. Check out "Decks &
Pergolas Construction Manual" by Allan Staines. It is a cheap paperback
with loads of content. Even if you don't end up building it yourself it
will show you what is possible and the design and construction principles.
It's an Australian publication (which means it may not fit your building
code exactly) but I would expect it to be available internationally.

David

[email protected] 13-07-2009 05:10 PM

Simple Arbor Designs

here is mine, my design. http://weloveteaching.com/hopepond/arbor~1.htm
once you plant a good vine on it, it will stabilize it as well. Ingrid

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 14:22:06 -0700, "W" wrote:

I am looking for an extremely simple design for an arbor shade for various
points around a house. One idea I had was to put up a single pole at each
end with a cross beam, and then put supporting beams at the far ends of each
crossbeam to the other pole's crossbeam. Then I could roll over that
structure any kind of shading, maybe using some very simple wood beams
attached to each other by rope. Does any vendor sell this kind of
structure as a kit / system?

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Phisherman[_3_] 13-07-2009 09:23 PM

Simple Arbor Designs

wrote:

I am looking for an extremely simple design for an arbor shade for various
points around a house. One idea I had was to put up a single pole at each
end with a cross beam, and then put supporting beams at the far ends of each
crossbeam to the other pole's crossbeam. Then I could roll over that
structure any kind of shading, maybe using some very simple wood beams
attached to each other by rope. Does any vendor sell this kind of
structure as a kit / system?

Norm Abrams has an arbor design in one of his woodworking books. A
lot of arbors have the design on the ends of the top end rails, some
elaborate with carvings of animals.

Phisherman[_3_] 13-07-2009 09:25 PM

Simple Arbor Designs

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:47:42 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

W wrote:
[...]

Wind is a primary concern. It is difficult to design for
unpredictable wind forces.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 14-07-2009 12:30 AM

Simple Arbor Designs

wrote:

W wrote:
[...]

I have this problem with vegetarian meals sometimes.

David