Old 19-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Registered User

Location: Malta, Europe
Question Pale green leaves

I tend to have very pale green leaf plants, which I believe are due to deficiencies in soil content. What should I check the soil for? What nutrients, preferably in natural form (such as composting) should I consider adding? Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Old 20-07-2009, 06:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pale green leaves

mario axisa wrote:
I tend to have very pale green leaf plants, which I believe are due to
deficiencies in soil content. What should I check the soil for? What
nutrients, preferably in natural form (such as composting) should I
consider adding? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

What plants?

What is your soil like?

What is you climate like?

David

Old 20-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Registered User

Location: Malta, Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post
mario axisa wrote:
I tend to have very pale green leaf plants, which I believe are due to
deficiencies in soil content. What should I check the soil for? What
nutrients, preferably in natural form (such as composting) should I
consider adding? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

What plants?

What is your soil like?

What is you climate like?

David
The type of plants are decorative outdoor ones, like a Pittosporum and a Cycas Revoluta amongst others. The climate is a Mediterranean one, relatively hot and humid. It tends to be relatively dry most of the year.

As regards the soil, it tends to be pale brown in colour, does not seem 'rich' to me. From what I can guess, it is deficient in certain nutrients, iron amongst others. I would like to have a second opinion from an experienced gardener before adding fertiliser or anything else. Thanks.
Old 20-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Registered User

Welcome to Garden-Planters,
__________________
http://Garden-Planters.com
Old 20-07-2009, 01:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 11:23:54 +0100, mario axisa
wrote:

I tend to have very pale green leaf plants, which I believe are due to
deficiencies in soil content. What should I check the soil for? What
nutrients, preferably in natural form (such as composting) should I
consider adding? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

A standard soil test should include nitrogen, phosphorous, potash and
pH. The results will tell you what you need to add after reviewing
the plant's specific requirements.

Old 21-07-2009, 07:20 AM
Registered User

Location: Malta, Europe

As I mentioned before, I am a beginner in these things. So please bear with me if I ask whether the mentioned ' standard soil test', is something which I can buy a kit to do myself, or is it a test to be done by a professional in this field? Thanks

[IMG] code is On

Pale Green Rose Pat Durkin Garden Photos 1 24-05-2012 11:50 AM
Sort of palm tree looks pale and has split leaves Paul United Kingdom 3 17-07-2009 10:36 AM
Pale Green folaige on yucca and agave jpd1009 Australia 0 24-04-2007 12:58 AM
Pale leaves on my Phals Eric Orchids 5 25-03-2005 12:53 PM
pale yellow-green Eureka lemon andr0meda Australia 4 26-12-2004 04:24 PM