Old 26-04-2003, 08:08 PM
animaux

Default lavender trumpet vine often abused for illegal recreational activities????

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:31:21 GMT, dementia13 wrote:

In John Robertson wrote:
I got a lavender trumpet vine from ebay, It came with this warning "A
garden beauty often abused for illegal recreational activities." What
in the world are they talking about?

If it's Datura, and if you were considering trying it, don't.

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=1823

You better not grow tomatoes, potatoes or eggplant either because they are all
in the same family and all have equally poisonous leaves.
Old 27-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Ann

animaux expounded:

In John Robertson wrote:
I got a lavender trumpet vine from ebay, It came with this warning "A
garden beauty often abused for illegal recreational activities." What
in the world are they talking about?

If it's Datura, and if you were considering trying it, don't.

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=1823

You better not grow tomatoes, potatoes or eggplant either because they are all
in the same family and all have equally poisonous leaves.

Really. I get so tired of people warning that you shouldn't grow this
or that because of the poisonous qualities....it is enough to know
they are poisonous and to not eat them. They're still pretty. I
suppose I shouldn't allow the foxgloves to grow wild all over my yard,
rip out the self-sowing datura, never grow a tomato, etc.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 27-04-2003, 09:44 PM
DigitalVinyl

animaux expounded:

In John Robertson wrote:
I got a lavender trumpet vine from ebay, It came with this warning "A
garden beauty often abused for illegal recreational activities." What
in the world are they talking about?

If it's Datura, and if you were considering trying it, don't.

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=1823

You better not grow tomatoes, potatoes or eggplant either because they are all
in the same family and all have equally poisonous leaves.

Really. I get so tired of people warning that you shouldn't grow this

I think animaux was probably being sarcastic...since choosing to grow
only non-poisonous plants eliminates some of the most common plants
people WANT to grow. Until i read a gardening book i had no idea so
many common plants have poison dangers.

Although the Datura may have a reputation for hallucingenics while no
drug addicts are stealing leaves off your tomato plants to get their
fix.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Old 27-04-2003, 10:32 PM
animaux

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 10:08:27 -0400, Ann wrote:

Really. I get so tired of people warning that you shouldn't grow this
or that because of the poisonous qualities....it is enough to know
they are poisonous and to not eat them. They're still pretty. I
suppose I shouldn't allow the foxgloves to grow wild all over my yard,
rip out the self-sowing datura, never grow a tomato, etc.

I know I sound like a broken record which needs to LET IT GO, but the neighbor
complains about oleander because his kids this or that yadda, yadda, yadda.
Then he applies 10 pounds of diazinon as a precautionary measure against
everything alive. Ahole.
Old 27-04-2003, 10:32 PM
animaux

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 16:35:23 -0400, DigitalVinyl wrote:

I think animaux was probably being sarcastic...since choosing to grow
only non-poisonous plants eliminates some of the most common plants
people WANT to grow. Until i read a gardening book i had no idea so
many common plants have poison dangers.

Although the Datura may have a reputation for hallucingenics while no
drug addicts are stealing leaves off your tomato plants to get their
fix.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Ann knows I was being sarcastic. However, it is the seeds of the datura plant
which are eaten for hallucinogenic effect, not the plant foliage. That said,
children should be taught to NEVER put anything in their mouth without asking
first. If the child is too young to grasp that concept, it's too young to be
alone for more than two seconds.

Old 28-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Ann

DigitalVinyl expounded:

I think animaux was probably being sarcastic

I *know* she was, I was agreeing with her. This is a constant drone
that many of us hear all the time, warning about poisonous this and
that. It's true, it's something people need to know, but they don't
need to avoid growing things, they just need to educate those around
them to beware of them. As I have done my children, and any other
child that comes into my garden. They aren't unattended out there,
and they learn what they should and shouldn't eat/touch.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 28-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Ann

animaux expounded:

I know I sound like a broken record which needs to LET IT GO, but the neighbor
complains about oleander because his kids this or that yadda, yadda, yadda.
Then he applies 10 pounds of diazinon as a precautionary measure against
everything alive. Ahole.

Gotta love it! People can be so stupid...........

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA