GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Saving trees via cutting off the damaged top (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/185895-saving-trees-via-cutting-off-damaged-top.html)

Bill who putters 21-07-2009 09:03 PM

Saving trees via cutting off the damaged top

I've had great luck with Japanese Maples but failed with Dog Woods
and others. Seems the idea of coppicing is mainly for firewood but I
wonder in the practice can extend to other ornamental trees. Any novel
success stories ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppicing

http://www.google.com/search?client=...picing&ie=UTF-
8&oe=UTF-8

Bill

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://prototype.nytimes.com/gst/articleSkimmer/

enigma 21-07-2009 09:24 PM

Saving trees via cutting off the damaged top

Bill who putters wrote in
:

I've had great luck with Japanese Maples but failed with Dog
Woods
and others. Seems the idea of coppicing is mainly for
firewood but I wonder in the practice can extend to other
ornamental trees. Any novel success stories ?

i just cut down a Carpathian walnut this spring, because it had
borers & attracts bag worms... just not doing well & ugly to boot. it
sent up a couple sprouts from the stump so i chose the strogest one &
removed the others. not sure if it will hold up over winter, but
we'll see.
the previous owners cut all the blighted sections off an American
chestnut by the garage about 20 years ago & that tree is beautiful
now & bears nuts (not as many as it would if there were more
chestnuts nearby). one thing people who wax nostalgic about chestnuts
never seem to mention is they really smell horrible when in bloom,
like dead animal... i have some little chestnuts coming along from
seed, so hopefully they'll have blight resistance.
i guess both of those fall into your 'firewood' catagory though.
lee

gardenplanters 22-07-2009 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enigma (Post 857281)
Bill who putters wrote in
:

[...]

I am very concerned that too much was cut off, and that my trees might now be damaged.just not doing well & ugly to boot. it