Old 25-07-2009, 03:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Too much rain, banana trees drowning

The rain has been nice, bringing the temperature down, but, the
Banana trees were drowning so I dug them up and brought them
inside. Banana roots are a big bulb, and half of one broke off
and doesn't seem to have bothered it. I planted the broke part
in potting soil and a shoot is growing out so I might get
another plant out of it. The others are doing better. They have
a greener color and are growing good. I think I'll keep them
indoors through the winter and see how they are next spring.

The Japanese Timber Bamboo is doing well. This is the northern
edge of they're recommended zone so I hope they make it through
the winter.

Mysterious Traveler
Old 26-07-2009, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Mysterious Traveler wrote:
The rain has been nice, bringing the temperature down, but, the
Banana trees were drowning so I dug them up and brought them
inside. Banana roots are a big bulb, and half of one broke off
and doesn't seem to have bothered it. I planted the broke part
in potting soil and a shoot is growing out so I might get
another plant out of it. The others are doing better. They have
a greener color and are growing good. I think I'll keep them
indoors through the winter and see how they are next spring.

Where bananas are grown here commercially a high rainfall subtropical area
is prefered. The prized plantations are on fertile soil with a slope for
drainage, in some cases quite steep slopes are planted. It seems better
drainage outweighs ease of access.

David

Old 27-07-2009, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Mysterious Traveler wrote:
The rain has been nice, bringing the temperature down, but, the
Banana trees were drowning so I dug them up and brought them
inside. Banana roots are a big bulb, and half of one broke off
and doesn't seem to have bothered it. I planted the broke part
in potting soil and a shoot is growing out so I might get
another plant out of it. The others are doing better. They have
a greener color and are growing good. I think I'll keep them
indoors through the winter and see how they are next spring.

Where bananas are grown here commercially a high rainfall subtropical
area is prefered. The prized plantations are on fertile soil with a
slope for drainage, in some cases quite steep slopes are planted. It
seems better drainage outweighs ease of access.

David

What part of the world are you located in?

Out here in West Texas we don't have many hills and don't usually
have to worry about good drainage for plants, except for times
when we get more rain than average.

These banana plants are supposed to be able to withstand cold
winters in this area, I hope they do, next year after they get
bigger and stronger and I plant them outside again.

Mysterious Traveler
Old 27-07-2009, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

Mysterious Traveler wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Mysterious Traveler wrote:
The rain has been nice, bringing the temperature down, but, the
Banana trees were drowning so I dug them up and brought them
inside. Banana roots are a big bulb, and half of one broke off
and doesn't seem to have bothered it. I planted the broke part
in potting soil and a shoot is growing out so I might get
another plant out of it. The others are doing better. They have
a greener color and are growing good. I think I'll keep them
indoors through the winter and see how they are next spring.

Where bananas are grown here commercially a high rainfall subtropical
area is prefered. The prized plantations are on fertile soil with a
slope for drainage, in some cases quite steep slopes are planted. It
seems better drainage outweighs ease of access.

David

What part of the world are you located in?

East coast of Australia north of Newcastle, about zone 9. The region I have
seen the bananas growing is north of here round Coffs Harbour which is about
zone 10.