GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Anyone know this flower? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/186089-anyone-know-flower.html)

Jimmy Alpha 28-07-2009 11:08 PM

Anyone know this flower?

Hi, This was growing in a pot, had nice bright red little flowers
perhaps the size of a quarter that I really never thought about until I
was asked what it was. Now the flowers are gone so I took pictures of
the leaves and a seed pod. Flower was maybe 2.5ft tall, seed pod 3/4
inch with about a thousand of the smallest seeds. Ok, over a 100! 8-)

So I'm asking for help, I'll watch here or the email addy is good.
Thanks,
Jim

leaf
http://i32.tinypic.com/2rq1169.jpg

seed pod
http://i28.tinypic.com/2n1rz1s.jpg

seed pod 2
http://i26.tinypic.com/21j4tp2.jpg

T2B 29-07-2009 07:25 AM

Anyone know this flower?

On Jul 28, 6:08*pm, Jimmy Alpha wrote:
Hi, This was growing in a pot, had nice bright red little flowers
perhaps the size of a quarter that I really never thought about until I
was asked what it was. Now the flowers are gone so I took pictures of
the leaves and a seed pod. Flower was maybe 2.5ft tall, seed pod 3/4
inch with about a thousand of the smallest seeds. Ok, over a 100! 8-)

So I'm asking for help, I'll watch here or the email addy is good.
Thanks,
Jim

leafhttp://i32.tinypic.com/2rq1169.jpg

seed podhttp://i28.tinypic.com/2n1rz1s.jpg

seed pod 2http://i26.tinypic.com/21j4tp2.jpg

Lychnis coronaria, also known as mullein pink, rose campion,
gardener's delight and bloody William.

Jimmy Alpha 29-07-2009 11:13 AM

Anyone know this flower?

T2B wrote:
On Jul 28, 6:08 pm, Jimmy Alpha wrote:
Hi, This was growing in a pot, had nice bright red little flowers
perhaps the size of a quarter that I really never thought about until I
was asked what it was. Now the flowers are gone so I took pictures of
the leaves and a seed pod. Flower was maybe 2.5ft tall, seed pod 3/4
inch with about a thousand of the smallest seeds. Ok, over a 100! 8-)

So I'm asking for help, I'll watch here or the email addy is good.
Thanks,
Jim

leafhttp://i32.tinypic.com/2rq1169.jpg

seed podhttp://i28.tinypic.com/2n1rz1s.jpg

seed pod 2http://i26.tinypic.com/21j4tp2.jpg

Lychnis coronaria, also known as mullein pink, rose campion,
gardener's delight and bloody William.

Thank you so much, now I don't have to wonder.
Jimmy Alpha

Mackenzie 03-08-2009 02:56 PM

[quote=Jimmy Alpha;858465]T2B wrote:
On Jul 28, 6:08 pm, Jimmy Alpha wrote:
Hi, This was growing in a pot, had nice bright red little flowers
perhaps the size of a quarter that I really never thought about until I
was asked what it was. Now the flowers are gone so I took pictures of
the leaves and a seed pod. Flower was maybe 2.5ft tall, seed pod 3/4
inch with about a thousand of the smallest seeds. Ok, over a 100! 8-)

So I'm asking for help, I'll watch here or the email addy is good.
Thanks,
Jim

leafhttp://i32.tinypic.com/2rq1169.jpg

seed podhttp://i28.tinypic.com/2n1rz1s.jpg

seed pod 2http://i26.tinypic.com/21j4tp2.jpg

Lychnis coronaria, also known as mullein pink, rose campion,
gardener's delight and bloody William.

Thank you so much, now I don't have to wonder.
Jimmy Alpha[/QUOTE
Hi,
Yes I think this is correct, we used to grow these on the estate.The leaves are similar to stachys lanata, nicknamed "Lammy'' lugs" in Scotland because the leaves of this one are very hairy!! I have just joined GardenBanter it seems like a good site and look forward to joining in. Mackenzie