Old 27-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Julie

Default Yellow Jackets

Went out this afternoon to sift some compost, to use as
top-dressing in my veggie bed. The composter is one of those
round plastic bins that I bought from the city. It's been filled,
and ignored, for two years. So today I pry it open, and hear a
buzzing. Step back and throw a large stone at it, and out come
yellow jackets.

How they got in there to begin with, I don't know. The bin has
not been opened, is level on the ground, with a tight lid.

So my problem - how do I get rid of the bees, and still be able
to use the compost? I don't want to use a bug spray, or any
chemicals at all. Do I just knock over the pile, and wait for
them to find another home?

Thanks...

--
Julie
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=3008861
Old 27-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Judy and Dave G

"Julie" wrote in message
So my problem - how do I get rid of the bees, and still be able
to use the compost? I don't want to use a bug spray, or any
chemicals at all. Do I just knock over the pile, and wait for
them to find another home?

Hi Julie

As a beekeeper, we use soapy water to kill 'bee-wanna-bes'. When we get a
call about bees bothering someone, or whatever, if it is a ground type bee,
we advise pouring soapy water into the hole/nest after dark. After dark
because all the bees/wasps/hornets/jackets will have returned from whatever
they were doing during the daylight.

I don't think soapy water will destroy, or even harm, the compost. You
might want to try it before you give up on your great fertilizer!

Judy

Old 27-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Julie

Judy and Dave G wrote:

As a beekeeper, we use soapy water to kill 'bee-wanna-bes'. When we get a
call about bees bothering someone, or whatever, if it is a ground type bee,
we advise pouring soapy water into the hole/nest after dark. After dark
because all the bees/wasps/hornets/jackets will have returned from whatever
they were doing during the daylight.

I don't think soapy water will destroy, or even harm, the compost. You
might want to try it before you give up on your great fertilizer!

Wow, Judy, Thanks! That's terrific advice.

I have four composters, so it wouldn't kill me to not use this
pile. But..this is the "aged" one, and it looked so dark, so
crumbly, so appetizing.

I'll try it and post the results.

Old 27-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Julie

I'm another Julie...

Do you mean soapy water like dishwater? Hot or does it matter? And
does this actually kill the yellowjackets? How?

Thanks,
Julie
--

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 22:50:37 -0400, "Judy and Dave G"
typed these words:

Old 27-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Judy and Dave G

Hi All

Yep, like dishwater. The chemist/scientist that told us of this remedy said
you only need to use about 1 - 2 tablespoons in a gallon of water. Being an
'I can't believe that is enough' kind of person, I always advise to just
squeeze that soap container til you think it is enough. I would say that I
probably use more like a 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup. (So, here you have the
'expert's' recommendation and also the 'I'm the one they are gonna attack if
it isn't enough' recommendation. ;o} )

No, doesn't matter hot or not. Sometimes we bring the soapy water from home
and it is definitely cool by the time we use it.

Yes, it does actually kill the yellow jackets, or hornets or wasps, or even
honey bees. Trying to remember the exact term he used, but I can't.
Something to do with the glands or 'holes' (sorry, not scientific word) on
the yellow jackets skin (I am not sure they even have skin, but whatever
their outer coating is called). Apparently the soap clogs ups the pores and
they die.

The only time someone said it did not work was an elderly lady that didn't
do nighttime. She had to pour the water when it was still evening. The
yellow jackets hadn't all returned home. They didn't attack her or
anything, but she said it didn't work. We went over a couple days later,
after dark, and poured some on for her. She still tells people that it
doesn't work as fast as we say it does. It takes a couple of days or more.
;o}

Judy

Old 01-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Julie

Hi Judy,

Sorry I am so long responding... this time of year I'm more likely to
be outdoors and forgetting the computer. Thanks for this good
information. This goes in my "to keep" file.

peace,
Julie
--
On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 10:49:32 -0400, "Judy and Dave G"
typed these words:

[...]

.. .

"Julie" wrote in message
So my problem - how do I get rid of the bees, and still be able
to use the compost? I don't want to use a bug spray, or any
chemicals at all. Do I just knock over the pile, and wait for
them to find another home?

Hi Julie

As a beekeeper, we use soapy water to kill 'bee-wanna-bes'. When we get

call about bees bothering someone, or whatever, if it is a ground type

bee,
we advise pouring soapy water into the hole/nest after dark. After dark
because all the bees/wasps/hornets/jackets will have returned from

whatever
they were doing during the daylight.

I don't think soapy water will destroy, or even harm, the compost. You
might want to try it before you give up on your great fertilizer!

Judy

[IMG] code is On

Yellow Jackets in siding... help? John North Carolina 16 20-09-2005 01:40 PM
Help-Yellow Jackets!!! Bonnie Gardening 7 30-08-2005 11:56 PM
Problems with Yellow Jackets kathy Ponds 7 20-07-2005 02:28 PM
Yellow Jackets M&K Lawns 26 08-01-2005 06:36 AM
Yellow jackets hovering over the lawn. Chris McCarty Lawns 4 09-08-2003 11:33 AM