GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mowing the yard/shoveling the snow (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/18625-mowing-yard-shoveling-snow.html)

keith nuttle 27-04-2003 02:44 AM

Mowing the yard/shoveling the snow

We are moving from the Raleigh area to Indianapolis. More importantly
from a third of an acre mostly kept natural to a half acre with lots of
grass. Additionally there is snow in Indianapolis. (Almost a record
this last year) While I know that probability says there will be less
snow this coming winter, I would like to get a something to remove snow
from a long driveway, and mow a relatatively large yard.

I have thought of a small yard tractor, with a snow blade. Any comments
or suggestions for a better solution.

Phisherman 27-04-2003 05:20 AM

Mowing the yard/shoveling the snow

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 01:32:07 GMT, keith nuttle
wrote:

We are moving from the Raleigh area to Indianapolis. More importantly
from a third of an acre mostly kept natural to a half acre with lots of
grass. Additionally there is snow in Indianapolis. (Almost a record
this last year) While I know that probability says there will be less
snow this coming winter, I would like to get a something to remove snow
from a long driveway, and mow a relatatively large yard.

I have thought of a small yard tractor, with a snow blade. Any comments
or suggestions for a better solution.

A two-stage snow blower is very manuverable. It will do sidewalks and
driveways, and a lot less expensive than a tractor.

Dave Fouchey 27-04-2003 06:08 AM

wrote:

We are moving from the Raleigh area to Indianapolis. More importantly
from a third of an acre mostly kept natural to a half acre with lots of
grass. Additionally there is snow in Indianapolis. (Almost a record
this last year) While I know that probability says there will be less
snow this coming winter, I would like to get a something to remove snow
from a long driveway, and mow a relatatively large yard.

I have thought of a small yard tractor, with a snow blade. Any comments
or suggestions for a better solution.

A two-stage snow blower is very manuverable. It will do sidewalks and
driveways, and a lot less expensive than a tractor.

But it will NOT cut the lawn which was the other side of the equation.
A lawn Tractor with two stage snow blower attachment will do short
work of even a long driveway and do the summer chores as well.

Note: I on the other hand have a two stage snow blower and a push type
mower....;-) I only WISH I had the Lawn Tractor set up like my
neighbor across the street does..

Dave Fouchey
Sterling Heights, MI

keith nuttle 27-04-2003 02:20 PM

Mowing the yard/shoveling the snow

I had thought of the snow blower tractor combination.

Any suggestions on minimum /maximum horsepower, type Lawn tractor,
garden tractor, etc.?