Old 27-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Adam Schwartz

Default Potted trees?

I know I've seen potted trees, usually about 5-7 feet tall in pots
between 24-48 inches wide, used in patio gardens. However, I have been
unable to find a suitable tree at any of the local nursaries. Many of the
potted trees I have seen appear to be ficus or orange trees, which won't
grow perrenially in my zone. Does anyone know of a dwarf tree that can be
potted and will grow in the region between zone 4b and 5a (Iowa City)? I
live in an apartment and have no plantable land. I'm tring to create an
italian-style patio garden and I need a focal point.

Thanks,
Adam (Iowa City)

Old 27-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Frank Logullo

"Adam Schwartz" wrote in message
. net...
I know I've seen potted trees, usually about 5-7 feet tall in pots
between 24-48 inches wide, used in patio gardens. However, I have been
unable to find a suitable tree at any of the local nursaries. Many of the
potted trees I have seen appear to be ficus or orange trees, which won't
grow perrenially in my zone. Does anyone know of a dwarf tree that can be
potted and will grow in the region between zone 4b and 5a (Iowa City)? I
live in an apartment and have no plantable land. I'm tring to create an
italian-style patio garden and I need a focal point.

Let me brag about my gardenia. It is over 25 years old and is going strong
and gives large crop of flowers.
We keep it indoors and move it to the deck when there is no danger of frost.
It's a little over 5 ft from bottom of top.
Frank

Old 27-04-2003, 06:08 PM

a columnar yew would be great, they do very well being trimmed! to any shape and
it will survive outside in winter with a little wrapping to prevent desiccation.
http://www.midcitynursery.com/Plants.../meyersyew.jpg
http://www.buckingham-nurseries.co.u...uct_10342.html
http://www.shadetrees.com/scripts/tr...p?thistree=309
http://www.whiterivergardens.com/pla...etail.asp?id=5 horticultural details
Ingrid

"Adam Schwartz" wrote:
I'm tring to create an
italian-style patio garden and I need a focal point.

Thanks,
Adam (Iowa City)

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

[IMG] code is On

Potted trees JoeP United Kingdom 11 30-03-2012 01:44 PM
potted miniature roses Dick E. Roses 6 22-03-2011 11:09 PM
proper technique for planting potted trees Ether Jones Gardening 8 06-05-2006 09:10 PM
Planting potted plants? [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:11 AM
watering potted lemon? Mike Wagenbach Edible Gardening 1 17-03-2003 04:08 AM