GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Been a good summer so far. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/186384-been-good-summer-so-far.html)

Higgs Boson 08-08-2009 06:42 AM

Been a good summer so far.

Tomatoes out the wazoo. Every morning I go out and pick cherry
tomatoes, and now the big ones are ripening as well. On-going battle
with squirrels. (Offering a dozen, free shipping.) Enveloped some
big T's in
netting that so far is working OK. In another area, enclosed the
cluster of big T's in plastic bags (with a few holes pierced). Undid
plastic bags and harvested a few; seem to have come through OK.

(No time limit on squirrel offer.)

Corn is superb this year! I never make it to the kitchen. Just shuck
the ear and devour on the spot. SO sweet!
Got enough sense, finally, to plant succession, so should be
harvesting for months, ojala.

Cucumbers... can't keep ahead of them...giving away to neighbors left
& right. Looked for cucumber recipes in a couple of cookbooks, but
didn't find anything suitable. This year, planted the so-called
"pickling" cukes, and like them much better. Got a great, crisp bite
to them. Also lemon cukes, but they're slower to come along.

Went through several pickings of yellow wax beans before I ripped out
the vines and put in my first lima beans.
Never grew them before; looking forward. I interspersed them among
corn stalks, having always heard that
indigenous people knew about complementary amino acids long before us
white folks.

Carrots starting. Wasted time with some bad seed before buying
fresh. Grrrr!

Green onions starting as well. I'm nervously eyeing the last
survivors of previous crop. Can't eat them fast enough; hope they
won't go to seed before I finish them. Giving away to neighbors.

But the Big News this year is MELONS!!! Cantaloupe! My first time!
They are sprawling all over the lawn, practically charging out of
their planting bed. Rather than construct vertical supports when I
realized where this was going, I am just letting them sprawl. Have
spread some sheets of cardboard partly to keep the grass down (didn't
work) and partly to keep the melons from (maybe) rotting from grass/
dirt contact. Is this
unnecessary? Like I said, my first time.

Heavenly breakfasts of tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, hard-boiled
egg, cold cooked red potatoes, celery, Israeli feta cheese, with light
dressing of walnut oil, lemons from the tree, a soupc,on of Maille
mustard a l'ancienne, salt & pepper. Accompanied by slices of Trader
Joe whole grain bread.

Yup, been a good summer so far g

Persephone

Billy[_8_] 08-08-2009 09:03 AM

Been a good summer so far.

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Your orthograph of soupçon is incorrect.
--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common denominator in our exploitative economic system.*
~Channing E. Phillips

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm

vigor 08-08-2009 11:48 AM

Nice to hear about your success this year, but free squirrels? HAHA

I find that melons are fine when on grass/soil as their harder outer shell protects them unlike say tomatoes.

Cheryl Isaak 10-08-2009 03:43 AM

Been a good summer so far.

Sounds like you're having a great one. Tomatoes have been doing great,
something ate the cuke leaves and I'm wondering if I'll see any pumpkins
from the volunteer plants.

But the tomatoes make up for the rest of it...

Cheryl

Higgs Boson 10-08-2009 09:26 AM

Been a good summer so far.

On Aug 8, 12:03*am, Billy wrote:
In article
,
*Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

It was a typo. How do I get my system to put the
comma under the "c"?

TIA

Higgs Boson 10-08-2009 09:35 AM

Been a good summer so far.

On Aug 9, 6:43*pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Sounds like you're having a great one. Tomatoes have been doing great,
something ate the cuke leaves and I'm wondering if I'll see any pumpkins
from the volunteer plants.

But the tomatoes make up for the rest of it...

Cheryl

Speaking of melons.... I had wrapped most of them in mesh, anti-
squirrel-wise,
but @#$$%^&*%@ if I didn't find that the &^%%$#s had been at one of
the "naked" melons. Chawed out a chunk. At risk of death, I took it
inside,
cut off the bad parts, and ate the rest - HEAVEN!!!
(even though the gardener had warned me not to eat anything
the squirrels have been at).

I'm still more or less alive, even after eating tomatoes that had been
"molested".

Incidentally he was wrong about waiting until melons turn yellow.
The one
I ate had not turned yellow, but was perfectly ripe.

I have now wrapped the remaining melons in plastic grocery bags tied
at the top.

Sigh! My son took his .22 when he moved out...Sure could use it now

Few years ago, another bumper tomato crop, I bought a little Italian
food mill on-line. It separates out the "meat", leaving seeds and
skin
behind. Will probably break it out next week, as the T's are piling
up,
even with what I give the neighbors. Been ages since I canned,
so may just freeze the pulp.

Cheryl Isaak 10-08-2009 01:38 PM

Been a good summer so far.

On 8/10/09 3:35 AM, in article
, "Higgs
Boson" wrote:

[...]

I've made salsa - the uncooked type - frozen it and it's really good when
you thaw it out. I drained the liquid off and used it to marinate chicken
and beef. Talk about tasty and tender. And it feels like summer in the
middle of winter.

Cheryl

Higgs Boson 14-08-2009 11:25 PM

Been a good summer so far.

On Aug 10, 4:38*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 8/10/09 3:35 AM, in article
, "Higgs

Boson" wrote:
[...]

Yum. Sounds great.

Melons, I had tied up the precious few in plastic bags to keep
the )**&&^% squirrels
from chawing down on them. Made tiny airholes in all (I thought?).

But gardener opined this morning that melons would "boil" in the
plastic bags, so I hastily harvested four of them, but I'm afraid one
was too early; still green at the end.

Will it ripen any further if I don't open it?

Was he right about the "boil in bag"?

TIA

Persephone

Persephone.