Old 27-09-2009, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Diseased cottonless cottonwood???

I live in a west suburb of Denver, CO.

Cottonwoods are native out here, they were here before western
civilization.

Now they banned the ones that put out the cotton though, and only sell
cottonless types. But they're great for filling in areas and preventing
erosion, as they grow about 5 feet a year.

So a few years ago, I planted 5 of these, to hold an embankment
together. I planted them about 10 feet apart. They grew like crazy, as
you can see.

http://lakewoodcolorado.net/cottonwood/

But now, the 2nd and 4th one ( every other one, which is odd ) has
developed some kind of disease of the leaves and bark, and it's not
something that is affecting the other 3.

On the diseased ones, the bark looks smooth, on the healthy ones it's
thick and grainy like normal.

You can see the disease in the leaves, with the perfectly healthy one
right behind it.

Does anyone know what's causing this, and the cure?

Old 28-09-2009, 03:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/02920.html

Looks like the Septoria fungus.

Now doesnt fungus need alkaline conditions?

I'm wondering of coffee grounds might make the soil acidic and get rid of
it.

Old 13-10-2009, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article 42,
Sarah Austin wrote:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/02920.html

Looks like the Septoria fungus.

Now doesnt fungus need alkaline conditions?

I'm wondering of coffee grounds might make the soil acidic and get rid of
it.

IIRC it's the other way around. It's possibly due to CO2 released from
decaying organic material, mixing with water to form carbonic acid.
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
Old 15-10-2009, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote :

In article 42,
Sarah Austin wrote:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/02920.html

Looks like the Septoria fungus.

Now doesnt fungus need alkaline conditions?

I'm wondering of coffee grounds might make the soil acidic and get
rid of it.

IIRC it's the other way around. It's possibly due to CO2 released
from decaying organic material, mixing with water to form carbonic
acid.

So alast know alalinity might help them?

That's odd, because I understand our soils here are already that way.

Old 17-10-2009, 06:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article 42,
Sarah Austin wrote:

Billy wrote :

In article 42,
Sarah Austin wrote:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/02920.html

Looks like the Septoria fungus.

Now doesnt fungus need alkaline conditions?

I'm wondering of coffee grounds might make the soil acidic and get
rid of it.

IIRC it's the other way around. It's possibly due to CO2 released
from decaying organic material, mixing with water to form carbonic
acid.

So alast know alalinity might help them?

That's odd, because I understand our soils here are already that way.

Oh, little mysteries of life.

I might mention that the trouble with logic is picking the right premiss.

Most home made fungicides have sodium carbonate (base-alkali) in them.
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm

[IMG] code is On

Img-1257-Cottonwood fluff Stinkweed[_3_] Garden Photos 0 29-06-2014 04:40 PM
Cottonwood Chuck Till North Carolina 2 27-06-2006 11:17 PM
Cottonwood - Hibiscus Tiliaceus Wanda Australia 1 10-11-2003 04:02 AM
Help! Cottonwood tress dropping leaves alarming rate! Mary Marzano alt.forestry 1 26-07-2003 03:42 AM
tree, cottonwood, the damn cotton hfs2 Gardening 0 27-05-2003 10:08 PM