Old 29-09-2009, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Where have my apples gone?

"Hector Hound" wrote in message

Thank you all for your suggestions and experiences. I can rule out some
of the suggested culprits. We don't have coyotes, possums or raccoons
in this country and no moose, cockatoos nor yet koalas. There are no
wild deer in this area either. The nature of the fencing around the
garden (evergreen hedge about ten feet high, with wire fencing in
places) rules out anything larger than about fox (or very small kid)
size (though kids could open the gate. Maybe foxes could too - they're
said to be clever, aren't they?  ). Or something with wings.

I took SteveB's advice and did a more detailed investigation and I have
some progress to report. I found a faeces dropping nearby that I can't
identify. I looked up fox droppings and this doesn't really look like
them. It's an amorphous mass about the area of a CD, grayish-brown and
the consistency of a smooth paté. It could be a dog dropping. Do dogs
eat apples? Would one dog take about 40 apples (and leave none behind
on the ground)?

Anyway, SteveB, thank you for the laugh, preceded by shock, that I got
when I read the following lines in your post (about the coyote), the
shock being due to the position of the line break:

. I found out later that it had eaten a turkey, a cat, and a kid

goat .

Thank you all,
Hector.

--
Hector Hound

There's a couple of kids down there I'm sorry he missed.
--
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson -

So, how's that change and hope working for you?

Old 02-10-2009, 04:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

After coming back from vacation in the fall I found all of my yellow
delicious apples GONE..there was absolutely no trace of anything.
I was going to report it to our local police but then I considered how
foolish that would be.
The following year I found out who and what happened.
Grey Squirrels I watched in disbelief as they stripped that tree of all it's
fruit, not one was eaten or dropped and they were huge..most likely
squirrels are your problem.
"brooklyn1" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:12:02 -0400, Frank
wrote:

Hector Hound wrote:
Hi. My first post is a puzzle. My apples have disappeared! I have two
trees, about four years old. One day last week, there were all my
apples - gone. Well, all except for a few at the top of each tree, from
about five feet upwards. The grass underneath the trees was trampled and
there were no apples on the ground.

I know the obvious answer is kids and if I can't find another I'll have
to settle for that. The problem is that, for various reasons, I think
it's unlikely in this case. Based on the height of the apples that were
left, they would have been very small kids - too young for the usual
profile of apple-takers. And I just know the neighbourhood and the kids
and my garden would be very hard to get into, especially for small kids,
has never been "visited" before and there were no signs of entry.

So - is there an animal that takes apples? Foxes? There are foxes in
the neighbourhood. I believe foxes are omnivorous and the height of the
apples left would fit the fox theory.

Any other ideas? Has anybody else had this experience? Thanks for any
information/suggestions.

Hector.

Around here, deer are the culprits. Look for droppings and hoof prints.

I can't imagine that 4 year old apple trees are very large and have
many apples... those are mere saplings. One would certainly know
whether there were deer about, if there are there'd be no need for
this post... in fact were there deer not only would there be no
apples, there'd be no trees, they'd have long ago eaten them.

If not the neighbor's kids perhaps the neighbor picked some...
couldn't take more than a couple minutes to harvest a couple four year
old trees... I have 2 seven year old apple trees, they're barely 1 1/2
caliper and barely 8' tall.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

Hector Hound wrote:
[...]

It's a lot of work, but I use two Havaharts to remove most of the
squirrels from my yard. They can't resist peanut butter smeared
on some bread. Sometimes, it is only a matter of minutes until
I have both traps filled. So far, I have removed over 8 squirrels.
Once you get the population down, it takes longer to fill the traps.
Unfortunately, after a year or two, new squirrels will move into this
'abandoned' territory, so you still have to do some yearly
maintenance.

It is not foolproof, but sort of works for me.

Sherwin
Old 08-10-2009, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

Phisherman wrote:
snip...

Deer like them. I have seen them stand on their back haunches to get
apples. I thought dogs were strictly carnivores (never had a
dog--always wanted one) but I have seen them eat pears and apples, not
sure if that is good for them though. Caught a skunk using a slice of
apple, but actually trying to catch a muskrat. Personally, I love
apples and they are currently in season.

Dogs are very adaptable and one which is well-socialized to humans is
likely to try many "human" foods. I had a golden lab which had very human
tastes. For example she liked pizza with any sort of topping including
jalapeño peppers. She like beer although I did limit her intake to far less
than she would have wanted. On the gardening side (keeping this on-topic)
she learned that she really loved sugar snap peas which I offered her as we
walked through the raised beds. This was cute until she decided that while
I was away she should pick her own which involved tearing down the vines
and stripping them. She also dug up beets and since I never saw any lying
about I'm assuming she was eating them. Probably her favorite human food
was ice cream sandwiches and whenever I brought some from the store I got
one, my wife got one, and Brandy got one (and she would have gladly eaten
ours too).

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 08-10-2009, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

SteveB wrote:
wrote in message
I heard on "The FiringLine Forums" that some coyotes like apples. On
YouTube they say that Gray Squirrels eat apples too.
KM

Correct on both counts. I had a coyote come out in broad daylight to feed
on crabapples (those that are about one inch in diameter) and it returned
several days in a row. I thought it was cute, being a newcomer to this
ranch life. I found out later that it had eaten a turkey, a cat, and a kid
goat at the neighbor's house.

Any squirrel eats apples.

Steve

Going by the "five feet" and "trampled ground" mentioned in the OP
squirrels seem to out of the question -- no reason that a squirrel would be
limited to that height an no squirrel could trample anything substantial.
Based on the same information the height and trampling seem to leave
coyotes out of the picture. But take even a small deer and five feet is
easy to accomplish even it if has to rear up on its hind legs and those
sharp deer hooves are likely to make a mess of the ground in short order.
My vote still goes for deer even in the OP is in the UK since they are
having a deer population explosion of major proportions and anywhere in
North America deer are common and fearless.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Old 20-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector Hound View Post
[...]

If that is not done by human then its an animal. Keep squirrels out of your apple trees, they love fruits specially apples.
Old 23-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Registered User

Angry

[...]

I have the same problem - yesterday I had about 24 apples on my Pitmaston Pineapple apple tree, today I only have 4, with no sign of them on the ground. Some of the leaves have also gone, up to a height of about 6 ft. The strange thing is that none of the fruit on the other apple trees (Newton Wonder, Margil) seems to have been touched. I know there are deer in the area, but am not aware of them in the garden. We do have squirrels, but I can't think that they would eat leaves. I love Pitmaston Pineapples, so I suppose I can't blame the deer or whatever it is if they do too!

Judith