Old 27-04-2003, 10:44 PM
spampot

Default Help with conflicting bugbane instructions!!

OK, I just spent big bucks on some good-sized cimifuga
(bugbane) and filipendula for my shade garden, and now I find
totally opposite planting instructions!! My Dutch Gardens
guide says full sun to part shade for both, and the garden
center tags (some of which are those BigTag things with
pix of the plants) all say part shade to shade! What do I do
with them, anyone know? I bought them specifically to grow
tall at the back of my shade garden under a prunus, so as to
block off the street. I don't need full-sun plants. HELP!

Old 28-04-2003, 12:20 AM
SugarChile

A lot depends on where you live. In the deep south in the U.S., full sun
would be too much. In New England, full shade would be too deep. "Part
shade" is how I grow mine, shielded from the midafternoon sun by a nearby
apple tree. The dappled shade of your prunus might be just about right.

If they are not getting enough sun, they will let you know by not blooming
well. In my experience, they take at least a year to settle in, so don't
expect too much this first summer. At any rate, I wouldn't consider them a
great screening plant; they are a bit more airy. Have you considered
aruncus, goat's beard? They are happy in shade, have a lot of presence, and
during the week or two when they are in full bloom, they are host to an
astonishing number and variety of small bees and beneficial wasps. The bees
and wasps are totally focused on the flowers and are not at all disturbed by
being observed--it's very cool.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 28-04-2003, 01:20 AM
spampot

Thank you so much -- I always forget to post my zone. I'm in 6 or 7
depending on what the latest word is (it just changed) just south of
Baltimore, MD. I actually do have aruncus on one side, but wanted some
variety for the tall plants (I have a big area to cover). In the back
they'd be in shade except for a couple of hours in the morning; on the
north side, late afternoon sun, same with the south side only more of
it. What do you suggest?

Old 29-04-2003, 12:08 AM
spampot

SugarChile wrote:
If it were mine, I'd go with the late afternoon sun.

OK, thanks, I'll put them there. And move the tradescantia a friend
gave me that I just put on that edge.

Have you ever considered plume poppy, Macleaya cordata? It's a lovely,
large, architectural plant, with leaves that flutter in the breeze and show
their pale undersides. The flower plumes are graceful and attractive. It
can get large, 4-6 feet,

Sounds like what I'm looking for! Never heard of it.

and for me it does well in about a half day of sun,
and likes being near trees or shrubs. It has a bad reputation as a rampant
spreader, but it's conditional. It spreads by underground runners, and in
sandy soils it can go crazy, but in my amended clay

Aha, clay is what I have, too.

it's well behaved. Any
unwanted plants can be yanked out in the spring. It also seeds itself a
bit, but for me this has not been a problem.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Thanks very much for the suggestion. It looks, from the pix I've seen
on the web, rather like goatsbeard.

"spampot" wrote in message

Thank you so much -- I always forget to post my zone. I'm in 6 or 7
depending on what the latest word is (it just changed) just south of
Baltimore, MD. I actually do have aruncus on one side, but wanted some
variety for the tall plants (I have a big area to cover). In the back
they'd be in shade except for a couple of hours in the morning; on the
north side, late afternoon sun, same with the south side only more of
it. What do you suggest?

[IMG] code is On

Conflicting advice on levelling and turfing my lawn. williamrobb88 Lawns 0 02-05-2007 12:09 PM
conflicting plant info Steve Gardening 9 08-06-2005 01:50 AM
Plume poppy, was Help with conflicting bugbane instructions!! Ann Gardening 2 29-04-2003 08:08 PM
conflicting/confusing Alternanthera descriptions Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 07:23 AM
conflicting/confusing Alternanthera descriptions Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 25-02-2003 08:49 AM