Old 09-10-2009, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ground IVY...Creeping Charlie...how to rid it

Creeping Charlie and or Ground Ivy has taken over my yard (grass) does
anyone have any ideas how I can get rid of it???

Old 10-10-2009, 01:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

jimmy wrote:
Creeping Charlie and or Ground Ivy has taken over my yard (grass) does
anyone have any ideas how I can get rid of it???

You can do a lot of damage to it just by fluffing it up with a rake
right before you mow (so the mower blades can get to it.)

Triclopyr herbicide is effective; you can get it in Ortho Brush-B-Gon,
or some herbicide formulations for chickweed, or a farm chemical called
Garlon. I'm not sure if Dicamba works against it or not, but 2,4-d and
its derivatives do not.

I recommend a combination of pulling the stuff out by hand, mowing, and
lastly, applying Brush-B-Gon to what comes back. HTH

Bob
Old 10-10-2009, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 9, 4:56*pm, "jimmy" wrote:
Creeping Charlie and or Ground Ivy has taken over my yard (grass) does
anyone have any ideas how I can get rid of it???

We had the same problem and used this stuff called Weed Beater Plus by
Bonide. It works wonderfully. All of our ground ivy is gone, along
with all the other weeds, but the grass is still just fine. It may
take 2-3 weeks until it's all gone, and may take more than 1
application, but after this time you can throw down more grass seed if
needed.

Viana
Old 10-10-2009, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 9, 4:56*pm, "jimmy" wrote:
Creeping Charlie and or Ground Ivy has taken over my yard (grass) does
anyone have any ideas how I can get rid of it???

Forgot to mention, we used the concentrated liquid formula, mixed it
with water according to the directions, and applied it with a pump
sprayer. We picked it up at our local Agway. It costs about $20.
Here's a link to what the bottle looks like:
http://www.daytonnursery.com/product...0crabgrass.jpg

Viana
Old 12-10-2009, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 9, 4:56*pm, "jimmy" wrote:
Creeping Charlie and or Ground Ivy has taken over my yard (grass) does
anyone have any ideas how I can get rid of it???

Use Ortho Max, it works, I've been trying it this year. You MIGHT need
to applications. FOLLOW LABEL DIRECTIONS.
Their Oxalis/chickweed killer works too.

[IMG] code is On

Creeping Charlie AT Lawns 1 17-08-2013 01:55 AM
In this Corner Vinca Minor In This One Creeping Charlie [email protected] Gardening 2 24-05-2008 10:34 PM
Ground Ivy Creeping Charlie Anom Lawns 2 10-05-2004 04:05 AM
how to get rid creeping charlie Brandon Herlein Lawns 5 26-04-2004 01:04 AM
creeping charlie rosie readandpost Gardening 3 01-06-2003 03:08 PM