GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   My child just ate this plant. Is it OK? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/187724-my-child-just-ate-plant-ok.html)

Skeeker 11-10-2009 06:54 PM

My child just ate this plant. Is it OK?

My 3 year old was just eating the little purple berries off of this plant here in Dublin. Can anyone tell me the name of this plant and if it is poisonous?
Thank you.

zxcvbob 11-10-2009 09:32 PM

Skeeker wrote:
My 3 year old was just eating the little purple berries off of this
plant here in Dublin. Can anyone tell me the name of this plant and if
it is poisonous?
Thank you.
[image: http://www.jovenk.com/elsewhere/PA080097.jpg]
[image: http://www.jovenk.com/elsewhere/Photo117.jpg]

Not very good pictures (no offense) but it looks like American
Beautyberry to me. /Callicarpa americana/ Search for it and see if the
online pictures match what you have.

The stuff is a native plant where I used to live. I don't think the
berries are edible, but I can't find anywhere that says they are toxic.

Bob

David E. Ross[_2_] 12-10-2009 05:28 AM

On 10/11/2009 10:54 AM, Skeeker wrote:
My 3 year old was just eating the little purple berries off of this
plant here in Dublin. Can anyone tell me the name of this plant and if
it is poisonous?
Thank you.
[image: http://www.jovenk.com/elsewhere/PA080097.jpg]
[image: http://www.jovenk.com/elsewhere/Photo117.jpg]

When in doubt, take your child and a branch of the plant (with berries)
to the nearest medical emergency facility.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean