GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Geraniums (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/188442-geraniums.html)

Phisherman[_3_] 30-11-2009 02:33 PM

Geraniums

I put two pots of geraniums in my garage which gets cool without
freezing. The soil is dry and have not had any water for almost 2
months. They are getting bright filtered light and continue to
bloom. Don't these plants ever go into a rest period??

JRStern 01-12-2009 09:43 PM

Geraniums

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 09:33:32 -0500, Phisherman
wrote:

I put two pots of geraniums in my garage which gets cool without
freezing. The soil is dry and have not had any water for almost 2
months. They are getting bright filtered light and continue to
bloom. Don't these plants ever go into a rest period??

They can be pretty tough!

I have some zonals in the back yard that have grown huge - so I'm
planting a few in front and hoping for the same, but so far growth is
slow. They seem to do better in partial sun (I'm in Los Angeles).

I also have a few in various pots, and some like yours insist on
thriving and blooming even with pretty severe neglect. They will
eventually dry out, but they seem more threatened by over-moisture, if
anything.

Have some Martha Washingtons that are propagating themselves from pot
to pot, too - and a couple of those (in the ground) are doing better
in my front yard than are the zonals.

J.