Old 01-12-2009, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Any Tree Experts?? Tree Identification Question??

Hello all,

Hoping that someone here can help identify a tree that we had in our
yard, that was killed a few days ago, when we had 45 mile an hour winds
all day, that blew it over.

It was a nice little tree, and would like to get another one, even
though we don't know what type of tree it was? I think it may have been
a some type of "flowering pear" or "flowering crabapple" tree, but not
positive.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the tree when it had its
leaves or flowers on it, so I will describe it the best I can.

The tree was roughly about 10 feet tall in height, and roughly 5-10 feet
wide. The tree would NOT bloom with any kind of White flowers in the
spring. Actually, the tree would look dead throughout the spring,
usually until about June, when it would then start to get its Green
leaves. There would be no growth of any kind, usually until mid June for
some reason, when the Green leaves would appear. Then around the end of
June, and into July, the tree would get bright Pink flowers. It wouldn't
be huge clusters of flowers, but Pink flowers scattered throughout the
tree, which attracted many different types of bees. Then around the end
of August and September, the flowers would star to turn Brown, and fall
off the trees.

When the flowers fell off, it wasn't like just the pedals of the flower
falling off, the WHOLE flower would fall off the tree.

The flowers would fall off in the driveway ( where the tree was located
near ), and when you ran over the flowers with the car, the flowers
would get stuck to, and stain the driveway all the time.

The branches of the tree grew in an upward direction, much like that of
a "flowering pear" or "flowering crabapple" tree, but this tree had no
fruit or crabapples that grew on it.

Also, "flowering pears", turn all pure White in the Spring, and this
tree didn't do that. It remained completely bare until June, when Green
leaves were always the first things to appear.

The bark of the tree was quite rough, and had the "diamond pattern" in
it. The branches were quite thin, and would break off easily, during
high winds, or ice storms.

The only thing that was similar to the "flowering pear" and "flowering
crabapple" trees, was the way the branches grew in a upward motion, like
in the picture below.

We asked a neighbor in his 80's who lives on our street, and has been
here all his life when the original homeowners planted it, if he knew
what type of tree it was, but he didn't know. All he knew is that the
tree was about 30 years old.

I have tried doing searches on the net, at Google and Yahoo, but have
been unable to find this type of tree!?

Here is a EXAMPLE picture below, of the shape of the tree, and how the
branches grew in an upright form, similar to this one:

http://www.johnstonplants.com/shade%...0crabapple.JPG

Any help telling me what kind of tree this might have been would be
greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2009, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://www.johnstonplants.com/shade%...alus%20purple%...

Any help telling me what kind of tree this might have been would be
greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Most crabapples are not very upright once established in the landscape
- only very young trees tend to have this habit. Once they've got a
few years on them, they spread out to form a rounded, even spreading,
crown. Based on your description only, it's gong to be very hard to
nail down an ID. I'd suspect it was some sort of late spring/early
summer flowering shrub, rather than a tree - many shrubs can grow
easily into tree-like proportions and 10' is extremely small for
anything but a dwarf tree (which is also possible). Without a photo to
confirm, I'd suggest you look at things like weigela or kolkwitzia.
Possibly even a flowering dogwood, but 10' is pretty darn tiny for one
of those. And are you sure the flowers held on until fall?? That's
pretty unusual for any tree or shrub to retain flowers for that long a
period.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Michelle, Look up Rose of Sharon. Everything in your description fits
the Rose of Sharons in my yard. They come in many colors, growth of
branches is upright, starts leafing out later than other trees, flowers
fall off intact after turning brown, etc.

Denise

Old 01-12-2009, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 10:16:21 -0500, (MICHELLE H.)
wrote:

[...]

Crepe myrtle? They're about the last to leaf out in TN.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

It would help to know where you are located.

Try looking through pictures at some of the on line plant sellers,
perhaps you will see something that looks like your tree. There are
many small flowering trees. Perhaps yours is a variety of red bud.

Look he
http://www.naturehills.com/

Old 02-12-2009, 10:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Any Tree Experts?? Tree Identification Question?? Everyone...

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the great responses! One thing that stinks, is that while
searching on Google, I found out that the "Flowering Pear" tree has over
800 different known varieties!!! YIKES!!!!